Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried British Military Fitness - would love to hear comments good and bad

(21 Posts)
BobtheWoodmouse Tue 20-Oct-09 18:25:47

I run for 30-60 minutes 3-4 times a week but I feel as though I have got used to it and that it is not as effective as it used to be for weight loss/maintenance. Has anyone tried BritMilFit?

I'm wondering if it might be complementary to the running, maybe do 2 runs a week and 2 sessions with the BritMilFit thing. Has anyone tried it - am I mad to consider it during the winter months grin

Would love to hear some thoughts, comments, thanks.

wideratthehips Tue 20-Oct-09 22:30:11

i've done the real life version wink and it bloody works!

i was toned, fit and my running time improved by a third

there is a class in a park near me and i have been tempted....

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 09:56:49

thanks wider - I think I will give it a go - you can have a free session - there's one near me this Sunday.

MerryWifeOfWindsor Wed 21-Oct-09 14:40:51

Watching this thread (not for me, for DHblush) They do it kinda near me, looks great.

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 15:17:08

Merry, I will let you know if I survive Sunday grin

Do you not fancy it for yourself?

MerryWifeOfWindsor Wed 21-Oct-09 15:21:18

Do you know that couch to 5 k thing? You start at jog 1 min, walk 90 secs 8 times. I struggled blush

wideratthehips Wed 21-Oct-09 15:48:23

thing is when i did it in 'real life' i was in no uncertain terms blowing out my backside (charming), even if your the unfittest there you will improve and someone will possible come along who is less fit than you.

it was really difficult when i was doing it...sweat pouring into eyes etc...but you felt so good afterwards...very clean from all that sweating and always glowing!

wideratthehips Wed 21-Oct-09 15:49:30

ooh bob where abouts are you? vaguely?

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 16:22:19

Liverpool, wider, sessions take place in Sefton Park and Calderstones Park. Are you nearby?

I am quite excited to try it - I think it will really suit me - I love running outside , not keen on gyms and gave up my membership at David Lloyd a few years ago, never regretted it. I have always been amazed at the number of days it is possible to run outside, even in the winter, although Liverpool is very mild compared to many parts of the UK, we don't get the extremes of weather here.

Love the idea of getting very sweaty etc - it feels as though you've really achieved something. They do 6:30am sessions in the winter - that would be a good start to the day (perhaps!)

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 16:30:12

Merry, I didn't start running until I was late 30s - you do get better and better. Even now, for the first minute or two, I struggle and wonder if I can make it to the end of the road - today, I ran with my neighbour and thought I would die after 2 minutes, we ran over 50 minutes in the end, and talked the whole way.

Are you still doing a bit of running - I think the jog/walk thing is great, I used to do trees or lamp posts. I've not the the couch thing but to start off jogging for a whole minute is quite tough.

We do interval training sometimes (neighbour and I both hate it) jogging followed by a short sprint, repeated several times, we rarely sprint more than 20-30 seconds.

Once you have achieved some fitness, you get a sort of second wind and can keep going once you're past the first death-where-is-thy-sting gasp.grin

ThingumyandBob Wed 21-Oct-09 16:35:28

I tried it, the first one was free I think…I did a few sessions, but personally I prefer circuit training as a compliment to running (when I’m not several months pregnant!), perhaps it depends on the group you go to…I think BMF might be good if you hate exercise and feel the need to be shouted at! whereas our circuits class is a bit more sociable and relaxed…each to their own, you may love it. The BMF class I did there was quite a bit of running and less exercises and I fancied a change from my running night. Definitely worth giving the free trail a go though.

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 19:09:18

thanks thingumy - I definitely want something else as well as the running - I was hoping for a more circuit-training type thing. However, I need to be shouted at - hoping it will get me going.grin I will see what happens on Sunday - mind you, I'd be happy to keep off the mud - circuit training would be good on drier days.

I think you have to sign up for 3 months - that might just get me fit for skiing and be a change from my usual routine which is what I need at the moment.

stepaway Wed 21-Oct-09 22:08:28

It is fantastic!! I am fitter than I have ever been and each class pushes me much more than I would ever push myself. And it's actually really fun in the winter/dark/cold/wet/snow! I am a real convert (and HATE gyms)

stepaway Wed 21-Oct-09 22:11:16

<disclaimer: I do not work for BMF - promise!>

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 21-Oct-09 22:47:33

Thanks stepaway - that's good to hear. Lol at your disclaimer. I wondered if anyone might think I was promoting by stealth. - I'm not!

Can I ask you about the paired exercises? I intend to go with my neighbour but it is likely that we will go to different sessions occasionally - is it easy to be paired up if you go on your own <<visions of being the last one picked>> I've been looking at the videos on the website <<all keen, me>>

stepaway Wed 21-Oct-09 23:00:12

pairing up doesn't end up being a problem even though i was a bit worried it would be. Even if you go with a neighbour, you will probably still end up pairing up with someone else at least a bit of the time.

basically the classes alternate between running and stopping to do exercises. Every one just grabs the first person they see - there's no worries about being the odd one out. If there are uneven numbers in a group, the instructor just tells 3 people to work together. oh, and most of the instructors will advise you to pair up with someone of roughly equal size and strength.

Hope you enjoy your session!

BobtheWoodmouse Thu 22-Oct-09 10:05:41

Thanks stepaway - I'm really looking forward to it now.

BobtheWoodmouse Sun 25-Oct-09 16:30:20

Well I tried it and loved it, my neighbour and I are going to sign up for 3 months. It's going to get me fit for skiing with luck.

I am gently aching all over and my kit got filthy, must have done me good grin

stepaway Tue 27-Oct-09 07:57:22

Great to hear you enjoyed it and that you've signed up!

Wallace Tue 27-Oct-09 08:16:42

My sister goes to the Dunfermline one and loves it Next time I go to hers for the weekend I am going to go along and give it a try.

BobtheWoodmouse Tue 27-Oct-09 10:34:51

Thanks Stepaway

The next day...my thighs...ouch...grin

More than gently aching, it hurts to go up and down the stairs, anything that involves bending the knee ie walking even.

Day 2 - pain eased up a bit so I am going to attend a 6:30am class tomorrow morning, striking iron and all that while I'm all keen grin

Wallace - I hope you love it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now