Talk

Advanced search

HELP! If your trying to lose weight, what snacks?? How do i work out good/bad things?

(5 Posts)
mad4myboys Fri 16-Oct-09 10:38:17

Im trying to lose half a stone and my muffin top from boys grin so...

never done this before, trying to cut out on bad things/stodgy food. I'm vegetarian trying not to have much dairy and wheat as intolerant. I had porrige for breakfast 3 hours ago and im starving! I have just eaten a dove farm apple and sultana flapjack. Obviously not great choice but didnt want fruit/veg. How do i know on a label what is good or bad? For e.g this says :
Energy - 178 kcal (so is that calories?)
protein - 1.9g
carbohydrates - 24.4g
of which sugars - 13.5g
fat - 7.8g
of which saturates - 3.4g
dietary fibre - 1.4g
sodium - trace

what can i eat that is a subsitiute for cake (i thought flapjack was blush. Also snacks in general? I dont know what to cook for the whole family for evening meals either? I have 2 young ds's and dont want to be cooking low fat/low calories tea because we all eat the same and together..any tips?

Monadami Fri 16-Oct-09 13:39:13

Yes Kcals are the calorie content of the foods. If you are aiming to lose weight you should aim to have around 50g of fat per day. You cannot cut out fat from your diet, because the body still needs essential fats, which are derived usually from oily fish, but you can possibly take supplements.

Most of these so called healthy Bran snacks are full of sugar, which is not ideal. I find the best snack bars are the Special K bars as they are low in fat and calories.

The long and the short of it, is you should read the dietary info on products you buy and compare from one to the other, opting for items with a lower fat content.If you are aiming to have around 50g fat per day, then if you imagine a shop made sandwich with dressing is about 24g then you can judge.

I always tell people to eat little and often 5-6 meals per day. A meal can constitute a portion of fruit or perhaps some chopped up raw veg with a suitable dip or maybe a low fat mushroom pate. You could find these at Holland & Barratt.

Monadami Fri 16-Oct-09 13:46:35

P.S just as important as a healthy balanced diet, low in fat and sugar is exercise. You should be exercising at least 3 times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes per session.

If you are not a gym member, then brisk walking, cycling or swimming can help for cardio fitness and calorie burning. If you don't fancy these, then perhaps you could purchase a mini trampoline. I don't know how much you weigh, but if you are quite heavy, then take it easy, your joints will need to get used to exercise, if you've not done much before, so be careful with high impact.

It's also important to do resistance exercise. If you don't have access to weights, you can use your own bodyweigh. Ie press ups, tricep dips, lunges and squats.

The more lean muscle you have the more bodyfat will be used for fuel.

mad4myboys Fri 16-Oct-09 19:53:06

im 5'4 and weigh 8 1/2 stone. I want to get to 8 stone and back into a size 8 on bottoms (currently 8-10) I know to alot of people probably think thats silly BUT before the boys (oldest is 3) i used to weigh 6 1/2 stone and was barely a six 6! That was my natural shape, straight up straight down! Had absolutely no hips! Im happy with my shape (ish) as i have hips finally and can buy clothes where ever i like now BUT i want to shift that 1/2 stone. My belly is awful. Its like a big round pouch around my belly button, soooo wierd. I get bloated alot, and i know its something i eat but cant narrow it down.

You know those activa yoghurts, as im trying to avoid dairy, is there any other way to get the bifidus what you call it? For the bloating i mean?

kitkatcadaverqueen Fri 16-Oct-09 20:08:13

Hiya, i'm on the weightlossresources website atm i've still got 2 1/2 stone to go but i'm doing quite well and have to reccomed it, the website answers a lot of your questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now