Talk

Advanced search

Tips, please, from people who run/cycle/walk (vigorously) to work?

(8 Posts)
VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 21:00:53

Because I have realised it is the only way I can exercise. I live VERY close to work and could (in theory) pop home for a shower. But the reality is that after a school/nursery run/walk in two different directions, I just can't do it in time.

So what 'on the hoof' solutions are there to being a sweaty, smelly, damp, purple-faced person at the start of the working day?

I can't get my head round the logistics of spare clothes, rubbing myself down (with what? baby wipes?) so I just need to hear how you do it, if you do.

Thanks smile

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 21:02:03

REalised how mad that second sentence sounds: pop home from, erm, home?!

What I mean is 'after I have taken 2 out of 3 kids to where they want to be, while making sure I get sufficiently out of breath' etc...

grin

Muser Tue 13-Oct-09 21:13:49

I cycle to work, about 45 mins. We've just had showers put in. But before that I would have a change of clothes in my panniers. I didn't get that red faced and sweaty cycling so stinkiness wasn't a huge problem. Baby wipes are useful, or take a little hand towel and have a quick "tarts wash" in the loos (disabled loos are great for that).

My boss at my old job would cycle in her work clothes and never smelt. I think it's just less sweat inducing than running, but you do still get exercise. I know this because when my bike got stolen and I couldn't cycle for 2 months I put on half a stone!

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 21:25:47

Thank you. Unfortunately being so horribly unfit means I sweat a lot blushgrin

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 21:51:07

And if you take your clothes with you, how do you stop them getting all crumpled? Or am I making it more complicated than it needs to be?

<avoiding exercise, perhaps?>

Muser Wed 14-Oct-09 08:06:01

Just take clothes that don't crumple that much! So no blouses. There's not enough time for clothes to get crumpled too badly. I manage to look respectable.

Fruitgums Wed 21-Oct-09 10:08:23

Hi

I just started cycling to work and i think I chose the perfect time in which to do it. What I mean that now the weather is so chilly I hardly sweat. I manage OK by just changing into my work gear and I do not think that I smell wink

I do not have a pannier on my bike but pack my clothes in a racksack & they do not crumble all that much. Granted I do not look as smart as before but I hope that I'm getting fitter in the process.

Can't you try it for one day and make up your mind whether it's for you?

Piffpaffpoff Wed 21-Oct-09 10:20:12

A solution that i have used in the past to the crumply clothes issue is to go by car/train/whatever one day a week and take in four days worth of clothes and leave them in a locker if available or a suit carrier on the coat rail if not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now