Talk

Advanced search

Just to say Hello, just to ask for Help

(7 Posts)
friendly7 Fri 02-Oct-09 19:21:30

Hello, I'm new here. Well, I've tried many things and I managed to get back to my normal weight which I had before marriage but somehow I let it slip and here I am with jelly tummy which is very wobly, I look as if I'm at least 4 months pregnant but I know for a fact I'm not. I feel someone is going to ask me when I'm due. PLEASE, Help! Any sound advice, preferably without going to gym. Thank you.

nickytwotimes Fri 02-Oct-09 19:28:31

Hi friendly and welcome. smile

First of all, are you actually overweight? If not, then it may just be that you are a bit bigger than you were as a young thing, which is pretty normal.
How many kids have you had? And what age are they? If you have a baby at home, then tbh I think it is unrealistic to expect to be in good shape. No head room for it. I am pretty slim and have only had one (no.2 on board, but early days) and though I do work out and do stamach exercises, there is a bit of looseness there which tbh I think is just one of the badges of motherhood. It is not fat, more like loose skin. It has improved with time.

I lost weight by usual boring ways - eating a lot less crap and smaller portions, munching lots of fruit and veg and excercising. I mainly started exercising due to back problems, but it definitely helps me look better and feel LOTS better.
If the gyn isn't for you then what about walking or jogging or swimming? With food, you don't need to do anything drastic, but need to change your mind set and get used to feeling full on smaller but still satisfying portions.

friendly7 Fri 02-Oct-09 19:46:41

Hi By nickytwotimes, thank you for replying, well, 2 kids some time ago so no excuse to be having big tummy like that. I'm overweight, I really need to shift around 5 kg to get to my normal weight. Yes, walking is what I'm doing, I don't eat much crap but I eat big portions and I snack on fruit which probably makes my tummy bigger. I have a feeling that sit for too long - computer is taking too much of my time but there is so much info on it including recipes and forums that I'm kind of stuck here.

nickytwotimes Fri 02-Oct-09 20:29:14

Well, you need to work out how you can reduce your portions. Have a look at how much your slimmer pals eat. Usually they are comfortably full and satisfied with a bit less. Fruit will not make you fat or give you a big tummy. If you want to shift a few pounds, then the only way is to use up a bit more calories than you take in and do that in a sustainable way. Don't go on diets - they don't work!
It is hard to get started, but it can be done if you want it enough.
If you are already walking, then gradually do a little more every time.
You kind of need to get to into the mind set that you would prefer to be a bit thinner than to eating the second portion/cake/whatever.
If you are only 5 kilos over, then it is very achievable.
Sorry, no exciting solutions - dead boring innit? wink

friendly7 Fri 02-Oct-09 20:52:52

thank you nickytwotimes. Sounds like it all comes to common sense and will power.

nickytwotimes Fri 02-Oct-09 20:57:10

Sadly, yes. grin wink
Once you get the hang of it though, it is no problem.
Just boring old moderation and healthy lifestyle.
Makes you feel good though and gives you more energy, better health, less chance of illness in middle age, etc, etc. It's a win-win situation really.
You too can be a smug git like me! wink grin

friendly7 Fri 02-Oct-09 21:19:43

Well, I was good but I just let it slip and gradually gained everything I've lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now