Talk

Advanced search

I really need to lose weight........... help!

(5 Posts)
PDR Sat 26-Sep-09 21:07:03

Hello everyone.

I REALLY need to lose weight. About 5 stone and I'd be a 14+ (what I always used to be) so not being unrealistic - will never be a size 10!

I am 24 with 1 DS (16 months) married and hoping to get pregnant again soon, so can't do anything drastic, just healthy eating and some kind of exercise.

This is where I need your help! How do you excercise with a toddler to look after? I work 2 days/week and I have a small toddler free window on a Monday morning between dropping him off at nursery at 10am and being in work after lunch. The nursery is 1/2 hour away so I would be home by 10.30 leaving a good couple of hours to do something.

I don't really want to join a gym as I can already hear my husband complaining about how I would never go etc. as I have done this in the past and ended up shelling out hundreds!

Our nearest leisure centre is 1/2 hour away but there is a pool in the next village (15 mins drive).

I work 1/2 hour drive away so no way of cycling/jogging/power walking there etc!

Was thinking about a DVD in the living room? Any suggestions? We live in an upside-down house so living room is on the top floor - do we think my 17stone self will come crashing through the floorboards??????????????! (Seriously!)

Any advice/moral support most welcome.

I really must lose weight - it's starting to affect my life.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 26-Sep-09 21:14:12

Sounds weird but I try to play with my dc in a very energetic way, lifting, running, dancing to music, going for a lot of walks with dd in a backpack. I also bought a cheap exercise bike to use when dc are in bed.

Tortington Sat 26-Sep-09 21:25:01

cycling is great

esp if you have a younger one you can buy bolt on.

i have a gorg bike and ride to the station for work one or twice a week.

i also go swimming once a fortnight

i walk into town rather than take the car

so just putting in a bit more effort - rather than burning ourself out to 'fuck it' stage

i am also on the atkins diet - it works a treat - low carb - digital scales -t he weight literally falls off

i have lost 2 stone in 4 months. i have gone from a size 18 to a size 14 waist.

i am looking in 'normal' size shops for the first time in 16 years.

i still have 1.5 stone to go and i am determined.

what i have found is that sugar is absolutley addictive - and its in almost everything. i am not the food police and i couldnt tell you what perhaps lots of mumsnetters could about the nutritional value in most ingrediant lables.

but i do know that when i eat foods that have sugar in them ( not talking cake - i mean breads or other carb products - things like curry etc) that i feel hungry later

with a high protein diet - you just loose your appetite - its sounds so fantastical doesn't it>?

when first started i still had to eat in my old routine - ie. in the evening i needed to snack. but i totally don't now.

dh has bought cakes for him and the kids and whislt it would be nice ( i am human) i am not longing for one of the cakes.

whether or not you try this particular diet

check out this

fitday.com

there you can log all you eat in a day

it counts carbs
calories
and nutritional intake.

so carb counting or calorie counting - either way it makes it easier

also much like weight watchers or slimming world where you write everything down - it has the same effect of making you own up to what you have eaten that day

the odd biscuit does count, that spoonfull of beans the kids left - counts ..etc etc

hope this helps

Tortington Sat 26-Sep-09 21:27:52

also there is a mnetter called shiney

she has a thread that starts shiney stick cakes up t=your arse - or something

it has run for weeks and everyone on there is a great source of support i suspect - so join in on that too

PDR Mon 28-Sep-09 11:45:28

thanks everyone

just ate loads of biscuits so not a very good start

must try harder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now