Talk

Advanced search

So, has anyone managed to lose (a fairly significant amount) weight *without* dieting...

(33 Posts)
Georgimama Sat 19-Sep-09 09:50:48

by which I mean not following WW/SW etc, but by doing the basics ie eating less and moving more.

I am shit at dieting. As soon as I am on a "diet" my fucked up head rebels. After ten years of yo yo dieting I have reached the stage where I would be glad to weigh what I did when I went on my first ever diet. I wish I'd known then what I know now - I should have just done a bit more exercise and left myself alone.

Help me anyone? Has anyone managed to lose, and more importantly, keep off, a decent amount of weight by just cutting down a bit and doing some exercise? Is this possible?

pinkthechaffinch Sat 19-Sep-09 10:30:37

I lost 11 pounds by calorie counting and doing more exercise. Took about 2 and a half months.

Weight loss resources is a good website which makes calorie counting a lot more accurate and allows you to input 'exercise calories' so that the more you exercise, the ore you can eat!

HTH smile

ShowOfHands Sat 19-Sep-09 10:42:53

Oh dieting and calories and all that stuff, for me, is the most soul-destroying, ridiculous thing. I can't imagine anything worse than saying 'oh no I can't eat that'. Food should not be set up as this good/bad dichotomy.

Sorry, rant over.

I put on a lot of weight when pg despite being active and healthy. When dd turned 1 (didn't give a flying monkey till then, was bfing and sitting) I decided to address it. I eat pretty healthily anyway but started running a few times a week. It was hellish at first, couldn't run far at all and presumed that I would probably die. It very quickly got much better and I found that it's actually quite therapeutic too.

I've lost 2 stones and am fitter and lighter than pre-dd. Have maintained this weight too for the best part of a year.

Would you consider running? Bupa running programmes are excellent for a complete novice, starts with walking really and taking it at a sensible pace.

Running, I know, is not for everyone so you do what suits you. Do you like to walk? Swim? Fitness DVDs (can recommend a couple)? Perhaps a new hobby that's also a sport?

I firmly believe that it's not about short term fixes, which is why I dislike diets. It's about lifestyle. If you find a lifestyle that you can maintain that involves eating a healthy, balanced diet with the odd treat and a healthy amount of exercise you enjoy, you won't find things yo-yoing.

piscesmoon Sat 19-Sep-09 10:56:54

I have lost 2 stone and kept it off for 6 months. I changed my way of eating. I just have a healthy diet-lots of fruit and veg, very little processed food, smaller portions and no snacks. I also do more exercise. I run every morning-only for 10 to 15 mins. You have to forget the idea of a diet and quick fix and think of permanent change.

Georgimama Sat 19-Sep-09 18:58:22

Thanks ladies, sorry for no response have been out all day. So the answer is, unfortunately, running. Hmm. Not a hmm as you are no doubt right. Need to get sorry arse motivated then. Recommendations for DVDs would be great.

piscesmoon Sat 19-Sep-09 19:12:18

It doesn't have to be running, but it has to be less food - more exercise.

Clary Sat 19-Sep-09 19:16:40

Showofhands and piscesmoon, great posts.

It's all about habitgeorgimama; I have found that when I cut out the habitual and totally unneeded choc bar at 3pm (or whatever) then I will lose weight.

Also if I include a habitual run (eg started running to work twice a week - it's 30 mins and I have to finish it so as to get to work!) then I will lose weight.

Run has stopped over the summer and due to DH new job complicating my mornings - I need to lose 2 stone so well done SoH and PM, you will inspire me! (I hope)

TsarChasm Sat 19-Sep-09 19:19:56

Running works fantastically well though I'm sorry to say. I dreaded it, really I did, but I made myself have a go. Once you get into it and see how quickly it makes a difference you start to love it.

If there was an expensive pill or treatment that worked as well I'd've probably been saving up to buy it; but it's free. Not many things you can say that aboutwink

badgermonkey Sat 19-Sep-09 19:25:06

Another vote for running - I lost half a stone and I really wasn't trying to. It's a good way of 'buying' calories - 20 minutes of running could burn off enough calories for a packet of crisps or a few biscuits. So you can still have treats but without the guilt grin.

TsarChasm Sat 19-Sep-09 19:36:49

I stopped over the summer - got swamped with dc around and was out of routine what with holidays - I've put on about a stoneshock and feel so stodgy. Now trying to get myself back into it.

It does allow you to 'buy' treats - that's so very true.

Frizbe Sat 19-Sep-09 19:42:33

Yes, although I to have put on about half a stone over summer hols blush I found that 3 x gym classes a week and a reduction in portion sizes helped lots, rather than 'dieting' same food, just a bit less of it (so the kids can't say oooh why aren't you eating that and get silly eating ideas themselves)

passionfruity Sat 19-Sep-09 19:57:06

In the last 6 months I have lost half a stone - a fair bit when you're 5"2 - actually by eating MORE in terms of volume (i.e. it looks more on your plate) but less in terms of calories - so please don't think you have to starve yourself.

I haven't followed a diet (as others have said, I firmly believe it has to be a lifestyle change or you will simply pile the weight back once you stop the diet) but I have become more 'calorie conscious'.

In particular, I have around 400 cals at breakfast - the most important meal of the day! eg. wholemeal bagel with honey (or scrambled egg on toast) plus 3 dried figs with natural yoghurt. This is great for protein, fibre and calcium.

In terms of exercise, my weightloss is also due to increasing the speed and amount of walking I do: fast enough to get a bit out of breath and around 45 minutes every weekday / 2-3 hours at the weekend.

piscesmoon Sat 19-Sep-09 20:39:04

I have got down to my ideal weight quite a few times and then relaxed and let it slide back on. This time I didn't think of it as a diet but as a new way of eating. Your stomach gets used to it after a while and you don't crave things. I manage to eat quite a lot and have a piece of chocolate everyday and I have just had wine. I put it down to the run-I get up early so that no one can see me-and I only do the 10 minutes. I try and walk everywhere at a fast pace and take the stairs rather than a lift. I never thought I would be able to say it, but I enjoy the run! If I have a bad day I cut back the next day. If I can get past Christmas I think I will be OK! The great thing is that I feel much better and can buy size 12 clothes. I have have just bought some boots-generally I couldn't zip them up! Once I got down below my usual plateau (hit after the first half stone) it was so much easier to build on success. Good luck-I would try the run.

kkey21 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:02:24

yes 3 stone 3lb in 5 months by exercise and eating at mealtimes, not even cutting out 'nice foods' and if i needed a snack having a cereal bar or something. I never counted calories, added cream to my puddings but had it in my head i WAS going to loose weight-and did.

I now have ONE stone to go but.....

Since then though i have not budged 1 lb! I am able to eat within reason what i want without gaining, but have droped my exercise levels now so know i need to pick that up!

My attitude changed and i believed i WOULD loose weight and did.....

Now feel inspired to start again Monday and shift my last bit as i have a wedding coming up next year-my wedding! x

badgermonkey Sat 19-Sep-09 21:53:30

I want to add that my DH lost 3 stone in 3 months and did it through lots of exercise (although he did give up alcohol for a while to start off). Our household motto became "if you want it, you have to earn it" which meant we could have anything if we'd done the equivalent amount of exercise. Great on the days we went for long runs (8-10 miles) first thing in the morning because that meant pudding, crisps, wine...all 'paid' for!

piscesmoon Sun 20-Sep-09 08:22:04

Exercise is definitely the key. When I have been skiing I go out when the lifts open and back when they close, whatever the weather,and it is hard, physical exercise-I can eat and drink what I like. But, as badgermonkey says,I have earned it-if I am not doing 7hrs exercise I have to watch what goes in my mouth!

Georgimama Sun 20-Sep-09 11:46:59

Right. I have looked at the BUPA training thingy (thanks for that) and I am going to do the absolute bare basic - beginner training to do a 5km run. It warns you not to skip the first couple of days (run for a minute, walk for a minute repeat x 6). I am actually doubting my ability to run for a whole minute. Oh Lord.

Think of me at 6.30am on Tuesday.

Chipie Sun 20-Sep-09 21:30:12

Georgimama, you can do it! I never thought I would be able to run, and only started just over a year ago. Since then i have completed 2 x 5k events !! I have not run over the summer and can feel the weight back on already as have eaten/drunk far too much with no exercise. I've resolved to start again tomorrow as we've just booked a skiing holiday, so need to get fit for the slopes. If it's any help - I'm very quite heavy, over 40, and have to wear 2 sports bra's as VERY large chest!! GOOD LUCK x

Georgimama Mon 21-Sep-09 21:12:34

I will report back tomorrow evening, unless I am in traction in hospital.

IlanaK Mon 21-Sep-09 21:26:05

I am hoping to do this too. I have dieted on and off for years - losing massive amounts of weight. I am now almost back to my heaviest - too heavy to tell you all about!

A couple of weeks ago I started to eat more healthily - not diet as such. I had to cut out dairy and wheat to try to improve IBS symptoms so decided to cut out sugar and other junk as well. I also started to swim. I can only go twice a week as that's when I have childcare. But I am going to try to do laps for half an hour - currently I have to keep stopping as I get out of breath!

I have also just ordered a Wii and Wii fit for dh birthday next month and hope to use that to increase the exercise.

kkey21 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:52:14

This thread has re-inspired me to go for my last bit of weight.

I went out for a run (1 min run/1 walk etc) tonight so feel like thats a start...Will report back to keep my motivation!

piscesmoon Tue 22-Sep-09 15:43:42

The Wii fit is great. Hope it goes well Georgimama.

Georgimama Tue 22-Sep-09 19:36:26

Well I went ofr my run. At 6.30. And it felt bloody marvellous actually. Really really enjoyed it. More on Thursday!

HidingFromTheDM Tue 22-Sep-09 19:48:26

Does running work for people who are quite overweight or do you have to have a certain level of fitness already? I need to shift about 5 stone but running scares the bejeesus out of me...bouncing = pain!

Also, how do you manage to fit it in with a 21 month old dd (and a dh too!)??

Georgimama Tue 22-Sep-09 19:52:50

I hope so because I'm about 3 stone overweight.

I have a 2.5 year old son and I work full time. That's why I went at 6.30am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now