Talk

Advanced search

Hi anybody not fat but "thickening" with age

(24 Posts)
mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 15:39:10

what a charming phrase that is

anyway that's me

mid forties, always same weight, don't eat too much, eat pretty healthily actually, size ten, inching up to a size twelve

but it's just the getting bigger and I'm not eating more, or doing less, just getting bigger, wider, thicker

has anybody fought this? I want to nip it in the bud

it must be exercise I suppose, I can't see how to cut down on food, but there must be somebody out there like me, who's having to think about weight control for just about the first time

anyone?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 15:58:44

yup

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 16:06:37

hi riven
you doing anything about it or letting it ride
it feels odd to walk these shoes with all blithe assumptions being shed

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 16:08:27

I mean, I know you've got your hands full
must seem pretty trivial to you

wigglybeezer Wed 02-Sep-09 16:12:40

Me too, a few trouser buttons have popped off recently. Def need more exercise but hate getting all puffed out and sweaty, last child just started school so I will have a bit more time.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 16:26:44

no, not doing anything to be honest. I think its natural to thicken after 40 whatever 'fashion' says and research shows a bit of weight after menopause protects heart and bones (a bit, not loads of course) as fat produces eostrogen.
So its normal.
You'd end up having to eat like a sparrow to fight your body and where's the fun in that?

gingerteam Wed 02-Sep-09 16:31:04

This is me, early forties and never had to watch what I eat but am now officially overweight (5 foot 5 inches and 10 stone 12 lbs) on the wii fit!!
I do eat a bit too much these days but can't seem to stop craving cake. No wonder I have a muffin top.

OrmIrian Wed 02-Sep-09 16:33:11

Yes. Me. I am less flabby than I have ever been but even so my waist is bigger in comparison to my hips than ever before. I have had to stop running for a while and the weight has piled on. I can't afford to let up from now on I fear...

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 16:35:33

that's interesting, I didn't know about the fat.. am terrified of osteoparosis

i can't eat like a sparrow and don't want to

maybe it's just the gym and lots of weightbearing exercise to solve both problems

ginger and wiggle, have actually started weighing self after years of just wearing "fat day" trews after eg christmas, hols etc. Just over five feet and knocking on the door of eight and a half, should be 7.75 i think

wii fit.. you are doing the THING ginger!

maybe i can get a government grant to join the gym

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 16:41:51

I want to start cycling again, health permitting. had an MS relapse over the summer so have not been moving much and my back/neck are screaming agony.
But I wont change my diet.

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:01:03

i didn't know you had ms, blimey you must have the stamina of an ox with everything you've got going on

orm yes, i'm losing my waist too

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 17:10:11

some bugger stole my waist and left me there's. And gave me their cellulite too angry

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:16:10

bastards

i have to sit down in strange positions in summer clothes to avoid any squashing and rippling of AREAS

i suppose i can't get used to not being thin

<frying pan to forehead>

memo to self: must develop much needed maturity

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:17:01

in public have taken to perching on the edges of all chairs

how pathetic is this

OrmIrian Wed 02-Sep-09 17:18:29

What frightens me is looking at my mum. When I was a child she was a size 10 (in the days when a 10 meant more like a modern 8) and 5'9" tall. Dad had those old-fashioned men's big cotton hankies and he could loop his all the way round her waist. And as she approached the menopause she slowly put on weight and afterwards she becames heavily overweight - even obese - and shrank in height! And this is a woman who has always been very active in her everday life, rarely drank alcohol and ate a good balanced diet. So what hope for me? hmm

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 17:27:23

its big bums and no waists heading our way grin
Does make me a bit sad that youth is passing and today is as good as it will get. Which isn't saying much!
Gawd knows why I didn't appreciate it earlier!

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:40:54

you forgot the enormous thighs blowing up like battered balloons

funnily enough orm i've been thinking of my mum too

i've always thought -- I'll not eat like a bird because you've got nothing to cut down on later, which happened to her

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 17:42:29

oh no, tell me it ain't so!
and boobs reaching down to your waist!

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:45:43

grin

perhaps we should just embrace it

please pass the pie

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 02-Sep-09 18:25:53

heehee

cherrymonster Thu 03-Sep-09 11:49:43

i need help too!!! and fast. i am 5'8" and 28 years old. i have had 5 children and have always been a size 8-10. now my youngest is just over 3 and i have ballooned to a size 12. i have no difference almost between my waist and hips and i am going on holiday in 8 days. what can i do other than starve myself for the next week?

OrmIrian Thu 03-Sep-09 12:00:58

snort at 'ballooned to a size 12'! grin That must make me like the Hindenberg. I think that at 28 you haven't really acquired much 'age'. I am sure you will be able to get back to a 10 without too much trouble. It will take time that's all.

wigglybeezer Thu 03-Sep-09 12:30:41

I don't have scales as I was brought up by a mother who developed anorexia in her thirties!
(she is a lot better now but is still a size 8 at 67!).
I am very aware of how eating disorders can creep up on you ,particularly if you are stressed about other things too.
I really think more exercise would be the key for most of us and not worrying too much about actual weight.

spokette Wed 16-Sep-09 19:09:47

Weightbearing exercise is the key to keep yourself in shape as this mature woman demonstrates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now