Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and weight loss

(6 Posts)
fruitstick Fri 28-Aug-09 13:37:44

Help me sort out my excuses from proper issues here.

I am still ebf DS2 who is 6 months and now on 3 meals a day.

I didn't put on any weight after this pregnancy but am still 2 stone overweight (not babyweight, just weight).

I've taken up swimming but I just can't stop eating. I have real sugar/carb cravings and can quite happily get through a packet of biscuits in an afternoon and then move onto the percy pigs. It is a proper craving on a par with giving up smoking (which I did years ago).

I've always liked my cake but does this have anything to do with breastfeeding or is this just plain and simple greed.

Either way, any advice? Do I just need to grow up and throw away the biscuit tin blush

mollyroger Fri 28-Aug-09 19:44:35

well, I think you really know that perhaps your are eating more calories than you need, despite breastfeeding..... If you are genuibnely feeling hungry, can you try some lower gi fillers - porridge with honey in the mornings? home-made fruit cake?

However, I have to say that both times i bf, the weight didn't actually magically drop off until after I had finished. Not sure if that is 'normal' or not.

nigglewiggle Fri 28-Aug-09 19:48:48

All I can say is that I never had a sweet tooth until pg and BFing. I stopped Bfing DD2 about 4 months ago and I eat far less sweet things and actually feel sick when I taste some of the sickly sweet things I liked when Bfing.

Bizarrely I have also found it harder to lose weight since I stopped feeding. But that might have something to do with the increased alcohol consumption and the crisps....

fruitstick Sun 30-Aug-09 10:31:50

Thank you both. Molly I think you are right, that I need to fill up during the day. I don't think I eat enough for breakfast and then again at lunch so just end up going crazy for biscuits instead.

Almost September, time to break out the Oats so simple!

suiledonn Sun 30-Aug-09 10:38:01

I was talking to my sister about this only yesterday. I am breastfeeding dd2 who is 9 months old and am trying to sort out my carb/sugar cravings. When I was bf dd1 I only ate healthy foods and that was all I craved but this time round I am a teaandbiscuitaholic (newly discovered medical condition wink.

DD dropped some day time feeds recently and I put up 3 lbs almost straight away and like you I am 2 stone over weight so really need to do something now.

I think part of the sugar/carb craving with me is due to lack of sleep. DD is still feeding several times a night and dd1 is also a terrible sleeper.

mollyroger Tue 01-Sep-09 16:00:49

You must have breakfast, otherwise no wonder you are craving the sweet stuff. You will be running on empty, especuillay if you are feeding at night!

Eating little and often is good, but why not compile list of healthier options you can snack on, like home-made flapjack (still sweet, but loads of oats for lower release enrgy), dried fruit, hummous and veg sticks, rice cakes, polives, nuts, home-made fruitcake (good source of cake iron), wholemeal sandwiches etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now