Talk

Advanced search

Swimming for exercise and also information about non wheat grains

(4 Posts)
IlanaK Tue 25-Aug-09 20:31:15

Ok, I have one year before we start trying to conceive dc4 and I am mega overweight and unfit. A year is not long enoug for what I need to lose, but its a start.

Anyway, I am joining LA Fitness next week, not to use the gym, but to swim. I have just ordered a water proof case for my ipod as I find swimming laps boring, but i am definately going to do it. I will be able to go twice a week (once midweek and once at the weekend).

Sooooo, any advice on this? I am an average to middling swimmer. Not done it for ages, but I know how. My technique is probably terrible - I think I am best at breaststroke. Any tips?

Second question is about whole grains. I am going wheat free and want to avoic potatoes too. So, when the family is having pasta or potatoes, I plan to have somethig else. What sort of grains are really healthy that I could have instead?

Thanks!

ChocolateGirl Tue 25-Aug-09 21:33:30

I had quinoa tonight (in a fit of "must get healthy and eat less white rice..."). It took fifteen mins to boil in a pan and tasted a bit like rice! Meant to be very good for you. Feeling suitably smug!

Can't help with the swimming, I'm afraid!

Best of luck!

Montifer Tue 25-Aug-09 21:47:21

I found this a useful site for tips on how to improve your swimming stroke technique.

A useful statistic I was told before I lost weight a few years ago is unless you are marathon running (or similar) weight loss is over 90% down to what you eat.
Obviously the exercise is great from a fitness, endorphin, toning point of view but it really is what you eat that makes you thin or fat.

Good luck smile

IlanaK Tue 25-Aug-09 21:51:25

I think the issue with exercise is that it helps overall fitness which is something i need to improve before getting pg again. Especially as I get bad spd.

Quinoa - will try it.

Any others?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now