Talk

Advanced search

What gyms do you belong to and how much do you pay per month?

(7 Posts)
npg1 Sat 22-Aug-09 19:00:02

Hi. Well in september I am joining a gym but not sure what one to join. There is a cheap one up road from me which is £25 per month but wondering if I pay more for a better/ bigger gym. I will be going 4 times a week.

What gym do you go to and how much does it cost? The one I am thinking of is a Bannatyne one.

What do you want out of your gym? Good gym? Good weight section? Lots of different classes? Posh towels?

KembleTwins Sat 22-Aug-09 19:05:42

I go to Virgin Active. I pay £39 per month. That includes large gym, a massive variety of classes, a swimming pool with sauna etc. It's a nice gym. If it was grotty, I'd be less likely to go, so it's kind of a motivational thing. I also pay £7 per month for each of my DCs and they get 2 hours every day (if I want them to) of activities with the kids club, plus unlimitted use of the pool, which is fab as we can all go together.

expatinscotland Sat 22-Aug-09 19:05:57

I belong to the green gym.

I have to walk at least 4 miles/day pushing tons of child and more child on my back.

Costs nada.

npg1 Sat 22-Aug-09 23:02:18

I want a nice gym, good weights and classes (with the £25 one they dont do classes and its very small but could probably make do.)

Not bothered about towels. Would like to meet new people.

thedailymailiscrap Sun 23-Aug-09 10:38:31

What will fit into your lifestyle?

How many times a week, realistically, will you be able to go?

And do you want classes or are you happy pounding away on the machines on your own? If so, is there a decent range of tv channels to watch while you're running/stepping?

I've just cancelled my membership after 10 years.

The classes are aren't mainly at times I can get to (I work FT) so I was only going to 1 yoga class a week, and too busy to go any other time.

Plus, since we've had a dog which needs walking I'm getting plenty of exercise either walking or running with the dog. And we invested in a cross-trainer (bought it off eBay, it's an excellent one), which is in front of digital tv in a spare room.

But when dc were young, and I wasn't a free taxi driver for their own sporting activities, it was ideal because they could go in the free creche/kids' club while I worked out and then we'd all go for a swim or play tennis or squash together.

So, depends what your needs are - try to work that out first and don't tie yourself in for too long so you can cancel if you're not going enough to justify the fee.

LollipopViolet Mon 31-Aug-09 12:24:01

I go to a Fitness First gym. I pay £19 a month, plus a £1 suppliment each visit (I could go to the next plan up, at £29 and no extra £1, but with going back to uni, I won't get the most out of it, so I'm paying more now, but if I go 2 times a week when back at uni, it pays for itself- a guest pass is about £10).

Anyway, for that money I get quite a large cardio room, good selection of weights, and all classes included. It also has a sauna/steam room. I'm very happy there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now