Talk

Advanced search

is it worth joining weightwatchers and going to meetings or can you just do it alone, counting points at home?

(20 Posts)
motomoto Wed 19-Aug-09 19:24:12

can't help feeling meetings are a bit of a rip off

Chinchilla Wed 19-Aug-09 19:44:23

Depends on what type of person you are. I like the meetings because you can chat to like-minded people and even make friends. Doing it alone takes a very strong will. If you have that, great, if not, a meeting can help motivate you. It also depends on the Leader.

I was a Leader three years ago and put a lot of effort into preparing meeting. However, some don't.

motomoto Wed 19-Aug-09 20:13:57

and does it really really work?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 20:23:36

When I was on a diet like this I needed to go to the meetings because I was less likely to cheat.
Yes you can do it at home but going to the meetings every week, having someone else weighing me and I was paying for them too I was blinking well going to stick to the diet.
Left to my own devices I'm a there is always tomorrow to get back on it kinda girl.
Lost heaps of weight between dd and ds going too.

motomoto Wed 19-Aug-09 21:49:22

so, it's the weigh-in that is the vital part, you think?

Squidmission Wed 19-Aug-09 21:53:41

Why don't you give it a go by yourself and see how it goes? You may surprise yourself or realise you need the extra support from meetings.
I'm sure you could get lots of dieting support from one of the threads here.

I'm trying to stick to a healthy eating regime by myself. Its tough.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 20-Aug-09 08:35:35

For me the weigh in was the vital aprt and if and when I do it again will possibly only do the weigh and go. It was nice to get a chat with the other ladies but for me personaly I didn't particularly need the meeting itself but the fact that someone else was weighing me every week made me stick to it better than if I had been left totally to my own devices.

loler Thu 20-Aug-09 08:46:32

I went it alone and lost 2 st but put a stone of this back on. Losing it was pretty easy, I did a weekly weigh in on a thread on here. I went back to work and the thread died a death, felt that something needed to change so went to a meeting.

Really thought I'd hate the meetings but I really enjoy them. Met a lovely group of people, we go to the pub after the meetings and take the rip out of ourselves, the leader and the meetings. Paying the money is a good reason to get to goal weight (I've got 4lb to go and have lost 3 and a bit stone in total).

I know quite a few people just go to be weighed in but I always stay for the meeting - feel like I get my money's worth and pick up a few tips.

Try it at home then when it stops working try a meeting? Good luck!

motomoto Thu 20-Aug-09 10:58:19

thanks

quick ques - do you have to use all your points allocation? is it quicker if you eat less??

Celery Thu 20-Aug-09 11:02:17

I lost three stone doing it online a couple of years ago. The weight has stayed off, and I carried on losing a further stone, after I'd stopped the diet.

motomoto Thu 20-Aug-09 11:21:37

well done, celery, that's amazing! how many Points is half a bottle of whiote wine, most importantly, lol

gingernutlover Thu 20-Aug-09 11:59:43

moto moto

yes they do suggest you eat all your points everyday (or save a few for a treat)

This is becasue as you go down to the next stone eg 12stone down to 11stone3 you have to have 1 less point per day, so if you have been skipping points on a regualr basis, this wont work and will make it harder to lose

When I have done ww though i have def had days when i had 1-2 points left over most days and it didnt stop me losing weight, if it was more like 4-5 everyday you mgiht be storing yourself up a problem

gingernutlover Thu 20-Aug-09 12:02:15

I am thinking of doing it myself at home when i go back to work in sept (teacher) so if you fancy some moral support and weekly weigh ins we could do that?
I have a stone to lose initially, although that will still leave me technically overweight sad

loler Thu 20-Aug-09 12:54:31

white wine is 9 points per bottle.

motomoto Thu 20-Aug-09 20:33:34

gingernut, oh yes - fancy weighing in tomorrow morning?

Chinchilla Thu 20-Aug-09 22:43:21

You should eat all the points in the day, however, you can save 4 a day for the weekend, as long as you never go below 14 points. You can also earn 12 per week by exercising. So, you could bank quite a few for the treats you like.

The plans do work. Like anything, make sure you get the support you need e.g. husband not bringing chocolate home for you.

motomoto Fri 21-Aug-09 08:52:32

thanks chinchilla (did you used to post years ago?)

just weighed myself - 12 stone 11 lb blush

gingernutlover Fri 21-Aug-09 10:08:06

hiya, i just weighed and i am 12,9 blush

so def need to do something, and ww is something i know how to do, sadly, I am a serial dieter.

My first target is to be 12 stone, then to get to 11,9 which will be a 1 stone off.

motomoto Fri 21-Aug-09 19:36:45

right, let's go for it!

I have signed up with ww online....

Chinchilla Fri 21-Aug-09 22:10:07

Yes, I did. I never left either wink - just name-changed.

Anything you need to know, let me know. I am going back to lose weight in September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now