Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there any way to change your body shape?

(8 Posts)
PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 15:44:31

I am currently trying to lose a litle (or maybe more than a little) weight.

My tum is reasonably OK - it is my bum, thighs and calves where I need to lose weight.

I am swimming 1-2 per week; walking up the stairs at work instead of taking the lift and watching what I eat. I do appear to be losing weight judging by the fit of my clothes. But I would really like to lose more weight in my problem area's - I can live with my tum.

Is there anyway I can dictate (for want of better) word where the weight comes off? I know that I need to exercise my legs more to help tone them - but will anything actually help me burn the fat from those areas?

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 19:45:47

bump

SweetEm Sun 09-Aug-09 20:32:01

Sadly, I think the answer is no.

Have you heard of hypoxitherapy? Might work if you can afford it!

I have the same problem as you - want to lose fat from hips and thighs, am exercising hard 4 times a week, but the fat just won't come off and to make matters worse, my top half is getting really skinny, so I look more pear-shaped than ever sad.

nickytwotimes Sun 09-Aug-09 20:35:11

Afaik, there is no way to choose where you lose weight from. However, you should be pleased that you store fat round the healthiest bit rather than round your middle.
Obv, excercise will tone your legs, etc, and as you lose wieght, you will get thinner everywhere.

Meglet Sun 09-Aug-09 20:42:24

You can't change your shape. But you can make the most of what you've got and look fantastic. Pre-dc's I found that yoga and pilates streamlined my thighs a bit and boxercise / weights toned me up. IME It's good to do a mix of stretching / aerobic and weight bearing exercises as it keeps the muscle groups on their toes.

duvetheaven Sat 12-Sep-09 21:28:51

Pilates seems good for 'lengthening' muscles. Worked for me a while back so need to get back into it shock.

Georgimama Sat 19-Sep-09 09:47:54

Pilates is great for the pear shaped. I also need to get back into it - it really slimmed my thighs and hips down. I am well over the weight I was when I was really into it though and need to lose some (a lot).

Sadly if you are a certain shape, when you put on weight you will always store more fat in those areas. As someone else said, just be glad your fat goes on the better areas, rather than around your middle and therefore your organs. Being pear shaped presents a lower risk for some cancers and heart disease too.

thedollshouse Sat 19-Sep-09 09:57:48

You can't change your shape but you to a extent you can disguise it. I am an apple and at my slimmest you would never have known as my tummy was concave and my boobs were tiny. However as soon as I put any weight on it goes straight to those areas.

If you are a pear shape you are actually the healthiest shape as Georgimama says you are at a lower risk for cancer and heart disease. Being an apple it means that I have naturally slim thighs which puts me at risk of heart disease. My mum and sisters are all apple shapes, my mum has had a triple heart bypass following a heart attack and my sister has had breast cancer and womb cancer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now