Talk

Advanced search

Is swimming enough?

(9 Posts)
fruitstick Sun 09-Aug-09 10:13:25

I've joined a gym! I have about 2 stone to lose after birth of DS1 DS2 and also really relish the chance to get away from it all for an hour. I did get very fit before my wedding 6 years ago but it's been a down hill slide since then.

I've been swimming (breaststroke) so far and really enjoy it as I find it relaxing but is it enough to actually lose weight? I get out of breath and feel like I'm doing something but lots of people have said I won't lose any weight without going in the actual gym.

I was considering booking a oneoff swimming lesson to make sure I was doing it properly or should I just face up to it and get some trainers.

What say you?

SausageRocket Sun 09-Aug-09 10:39:17

swimming is great for toning but I find it does little for weightloss. Combined with a reduced fat diet you should find that your bodyshape improves. How often are you swimming and how much are you doing ?

I swim 40 lengths of a full sized pool 3 or 4 times a week. I swim at a fairly leisurely pace but enough to get that rosy cheeked feeling, IYSWIM. I get 40 lengths done in about 32 minutes. I still have to eat sensibly but my bodyshape is much better (more toned, less saggy!) than it was when I was eating well but doing very little exercise.

Longtalljosie Sun 09-Aug-09 11:03:31

I think initially you should just do what you enjoy and then reassess the situation in about 3 weeks - a month, to see if it's bringing your weight down.

You could make yourself do a certain number of lengths of front crawl as well? That's a bit more demanding

castlesintheair Sun 09-Aug-09 11:10:20

It depends how fast you swim. If you do breaststroke at a leisurely pace with your head out of the water you will notice a change in body tone after a while but you won't burn the calories off as much as when you get a sweat up (so to speak). Anything is better than nothing though.

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:10:31

Yes you will lose weight - I have in the past through just swimming.

fruitstick Sun 09-Aug-09 11:21:21

I can't do front crawl, which is why I thought a swimming lesson or two might help. I swim with my head underwater and can overtake pensioners but I'd still call it leisurely grin

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:22:54

I would do what you enjoy for now and maybe try out the gym when you're a bit fitter from all the swimming.

Earlybird Sun 09-Aug-09 11:24:15

Front crawl is much more taxing, so will give better aerobic value.

Other posters are right - weight loss / toning benefit will depend on how long you swim for and how intensively.

Longtalljosie Sun 09-Aug-09 12:27:45

I think the key thing is that at the moment it's making you out of breath. Which means you're working. Sooner or later, though, you'll get used to it and won't be puffed out any more. At that point you'll need to mix it up with something else.

But the key thing with a gym habit is to do what you enjoy. Sooner or later you may well get a bit bored with swimming and have a go at some classes or something. Do they do Aquafit or anything? No need for trainers with that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now