Talk

Advanced search

Weight Watchers or Slimming World? Which one should I do?

(14 Posts)
Gingerbics Sun 02-Aug-09 17:26:22

Need a final kick up the arse so decided to join a club, have done both in the past but not for quite a few years so not sure what their current plans are like. Just feel i need the motivation of a weekly weigh in. Any thoughts towards either one wouls be really appreciated. Thanks x

Tinkjon Sun 02-Aug-09 19:34:24

It depends how you find it easiest to diet. You either restrict the amount you eat, or the type of food you eat.

If you don't mind having certain foods restricted or, realistically speaking, not allowed but you want to eat as much as you like to feel full (ie. you need never be hungry) then Slimming World is for you. YOu can eat an unlimited amount of certain foods but other foods are severly restricted.

But if you want to be able to eat any foods at all and have nothing banned but you're happy to restrict the amount you eat then WeightWatchers will suit you best. On that you can eat absolutely anything at all but the portions have to be restricted.

Technically nothing is banned on Slimming World but I find that the 'syn values' of most treat foods are so high that it's not really possible to eat them.

Good luck!

dcgc Sun 02-Aug-09 19:42:49

Saw this thread and had to put a quick comment on! I joined Slimming World to shift the last stone and it's been brill. I love my food and have been able to eat loads and still lose weight. Result! What I have found really useful is buying one of the SW cook books (100 Comfort foods, it's only about £3.00-£4.00). I have been amazed at how tasty the meals are (and v easy to make)). Also, I've eaten so much more fruit and veg which can't be bad. Anyway, good luck

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Sun 02-Aug-09 19:47:08

Having done both I would say Weight Watchers.

Slimming World is great, but for me it didn't teach me to eat correct portion sizes as you can eat as much as you want of certain foods, depending on which 'colour' day you are on. Sounds great, but if you fall of the wagon you end up (or I did at least) eating big loads of bad food instead of smaller amounts

With Weight Watchers I have found the points system really simple. Every food has a points value (and you get more points if your BF).

I lost 9lb when I was at SW. I've lost 35lb and still going with WW.

Good luck whichever one you choose.

sybilfaulty Sun 02-Aug-09 20:04:03

Never done SW but love WW. You can eat out, drink alcohol and make normal family meals within certain parameters, and it really helps you to think about how you will change your eating habits for good. I've lost nearly 2 st on it and still going (although I did pause for a while due to holiday and a few family stressful things going on). I love that I can be on a diet and no one need know. I also like that I can eat cheese and drink wine (not every day of course, but from time to time) and still lose lard.

Good luck whichever one you choose.

hercules1 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:14:06

I have done both and much prefer weightwatchers. I found it very frustrating not being allowed certain foods on slimming world (syns not enough to eat what you want).
I really struggled eating out and got pig sick of always having jpot and beans when out.

LovingTheRain Mon 03-Aug-09 10:33:40

I prefer SW. I have done both but found WW to be far too restricting. I hated having to weigh things out. SW is much more relaxed and with their new Extra Easy plan, you don't have to weigh anything!

I started at the beginning of July and have lost a stone, I love slimming world and it works well for me and my lifestyle! grin

Gingerbics Wed 05-Aug-09 19:15:26

Brill, thanks so much for your helpful comments. Think I'm swaying more towards Weight Watchers. Thanks again xx

loler Wed 05-Aug-09 19:27:45

I have lost 3 stone on ww and still going. I keep getting people asking me how I manage to do it when I appear to be eating normally. I like the fact that you can earn more points by keeping active. I've got one of their pedometers and it keeps me aware of the level of activity in my day.

I also second the idea that it gets you to change your eating habits in a way that should last forever - I'm much more aware of the types of food that I'm eating rather than stuffing in whatever!

Good luck - I resisted going to the meetings but am really glad I did - have a good laugh and have made some friends.

Blissful Thu 06-Aug-09 13:36:39

Hi there

I am a WW member and it really works! I have also been to SW in the past, but I prefer the option to save points for the weekend, drink wine, etc. Also, I haven't tried it, but you can use the Simply Filling Technique, rather than count points, which I think is similar to the SW plan. You can also switch between Simply Filling and counting points at the end of the week, so it is quite flexible. As previously mentioned, the WW plan is a healthy eating plan which helps you to develop healthier eating habits for the future. Not sure that eating enormous portions is helpful in that respect, seeing as overeating got us our membership to the Fat Club in the first place!

Good luck with whichever you decide.

Gingerbics Tue 11-Aug-09 19:47:18

Thanks so much everyone. Joined WW last week and managed to lose 2lbs which is pretty good to say I had a 2yr olds party, then a 3yr olds the next day so lots of tempting party food. Managed to restrain myself, well... ish!

rosiest Wed 12-Aug-09 09:54:28

Stick with it!! I would say ww is best as I've lost 2 stone with them and I still have pigouts but you can with ww as you can save points etc Good luck!

hambler Sat 12-Sep-09 01:01:16

gingerbics and others,how are you getting on?

minimammy Tue 27-Sep-11 13:51:36

Hi all hope you can help, my metabolism ( and willpower) seems to have slowed to a halt!!
I am the heaviest I've ever been even when I was pregnant!!!
I have been doing slimming world and have found it good, because I've previously always done weight watchers and because I'm short I don't get many points so was hungry a lot and I feel lik I can join family meals more and just feel as long as I'm eating healthily that's good.......but.....I'm just not losing!!!!!! Week one - 6lb! w2 - 2 w-3 +1! w-w4 +2!! I go running and do Zumba and circuits but it's just not making a dint.
Even though my sister is a weight watchers leader, I just couldn't get away with the new pro points plan and wasn't losing with that suggestions or help needed please.
My OH says not to diet but then I've just had a mufin for no real reason just because he's told me not to diet @:0S
xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now