Talk

Advanced search

Overeaters Anonymous

(5 Posts)
SummerC Sun 02-Aug-09 12:38:13

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at Overeaters Anonymous as I have always had food issues and it is quickly spiraling out of control. I have found two local groups and I would consider it, but have found a pretty major snag. All 12 of the basic 12 steps involved in the program have a heavy focus on "god". I don't believe in "god" and don't really want to have religion crammed down my throat whilst trying to deal with eating issues. Does anyone know of any other groups that exist that do not have a basis in religion? Simply joining a slimming club is not enough for me as I cannot control the binges anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

TheChilliMoose Sun 02-Aug-09 13:25:48

Whereabouts are you? I have a joined a 6months 'food' group, that starts in September. It's for people with eating disorders across the spectrum. I am joining it from your perspective.

SummerC Sun 02-Aug-09 16:37:52

I'm in Staffordshire...but I can't seem to find anything that isn't centralised around religion.

TheChilliMoose Sun 02-Aug-09 16:46:37

You could give it a try, though. My DH used to go to AA, and their 12 step programme appeared to be based on religion, but it was explained that the idea of 'god' could be anything, so it was relevant to all religions as well as non-believers.

SummerC Sun 02-Aug-09 16:59:43

Possibly. But I am stil sceptical about it. I don't want to get in to it on here, but i have issue with organised religion. I don't think I could stick it out if was too...er.."preachy".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now