Talk

Advanced search

Weightloss through Hypnotherapy

(8 Posts)
Allice Fri 24-Jul-09 19:35:14

After falling off the diet wagon yet again i've been looking at hypnotherapy.

Has anyone tried this? Its not cheap, £55 per 1 hour session, I might need 8 sessions but if it works its a small price to pay.

I'm getting quite desperate, my weight is really getting me down.

Thanks in advance

fatslag Sun 26-Jul-09 21:24:36

My sister tried it a few months ago. I think she only did 2 sessions because of the price, but she reckoned that for about a month, she simply didn't feel hungry and dropped some weight. The effect slowly wore off but it was there.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

lovechoc Sun 26-Jul-09 21:30:41

I've not tried it but DH is training as a hypnotherapist and will hopefully end up working with clients who want to achieve their goal weight.

It is very successful but as has already been mentioned, it's not cheap. One session could be anything from £50 to £100 (one hour approx).

Hypnotherapy will gradually be introduced into the NHS, but until then it does cost a lot for the treatment.

I say if you have the money you should consider this. It has worked for many.

fatslag Sun 26-Jul-09 21:35:54

You could try a self hypnosis CD to see if you are receptive and if it makes a difference. You can find them on Amazon.

lovechoc Sun 26-Jul-09 21:42:39

IMHO, self-hypnosis won't achieve the same results as visiting a hypnotherapist. You would have to be quite self-motivated for self-hypnosis to work on you.

vonsudenfed Sun 26-Jul-09 21:48:34

It depends why you're eating, I think.

I went to a hypnotherapist a while ago, and it worked a bit, but not much, and I think this was because I hadn't really sorted out the cause of my weight (all sorts of family nonsense).

I then went to a counsellor for a while and sorted that out, but stayed fat out of habit. I am now working wonders with the Paul McKenna CDs. Which are nice and cheap!

I think if you do keep self-sabotaging, it's probably worth finding out why first.

lovechoc Sun 26-Jul-09 21:54:20

hypnotherapy works in a way where there is no need to get to the core, you only need to treat the problem of over-eating.

I think hypnotherapy is still misunderstood. It's ashame because it can help so many common problems that people have. smoking cessation and weight loss are it's biggest treatment successes.

True, it doesn't work for everyone, but for those who are receptive, it can change their life dramatically.

oliviasmama Sun 26-Jul-09 22:55:02

My sil is going for hypnotherapy to try to assist her in losing weight, IMO it's working, it's changing her view of food and how she feels about herself and food, it's made her very positive which is motivating her to diet. She said stupidly she expected a miracle cure which it isn't but it's most definately helped her.

Expensive though shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now