Talk

Advanced search

I have new baby, now I want a new body!

(113 Posts)
SparkyMalarky Fri 24-Jul-09 16:17:57

Anyone want to join me? DD is nearly 11 weeks old and have lost precisely NOTHING since a week after she was born - so am still a stone heavier than I was pre PG.

Seeing as I was 2 stone heavier post DS (3), and I could have done with losing some before I got PG with him, I reckon I need to lose 4 (OMG, 4) stone.

Have set a start date of Sunday and am hoping low GI will be the way forward....

Anyone want to hand hold, share tips and help me stay away from the biscuit tin?

Haribosmummy Fri 24-Jul-09 21:16:24

Me me me! Please!

My baby is due on Wednesday and then I NEED TO GET FIT!!!!!

sarahken Fri 24-Jul-09 21:57:22

I was the same as you haribosmummy with wanting to lose the weight asap. With my last pregnancy I weighed 17st 4lbs by d-day and then didn't start trying to lose weight till my son was 12 months and I seemed massive for ages. With my lastest pregnancy I weighed 15st 10lbs on d-day as I was a bit more careful but I still needed to lose alot of weight and didnt want to delay at all. My daughter is now 9+ weeks and so far I have lost 3 stones exactly and am back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 12st 10lbs which is still far to heavy for my height of 5ft 3.

I joined weight watchers when my daughter was 2 weeks old as I couldnt find anything in the rules which said you couldnt, only you had to wait till week 6 if you were breastfeeding. This week I joined my local gym as they had a good offer on and have been everyday for the last 7 days to try and tone up as my stomach, arms and thighs as they are digusting. I'm really enjoying it as its so good to spend time alone and think. I've done swimming everyday and easier classes such as thai chi and aqua aerobics as they are low impact and great for getting you back into exercise.

I need to get to 10st 1 lbs to be a healthy weight for my height and by my reckoning I should be there by xmas which will be great as I will see all my collegues as the staff party so that's what's keeping me going.

SparkyMalarky Fri 24-Jul-09 22:20:34

Hi both!

Well done Sarahken - I was up to 17st 2 on d-day and am still 16st 2 ...I need to get down to about 12 stone (although am setting an initial goal of 14st 7)

How are you finding WW? There's no meetings near me, so could use online, but find counting the calories pretty depressing...

Haribos - good luck for the new baby! How you feeling?

MUM1 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:31:35

Hey

You sound exactly like me. dd 11 weeks old and havent lost a lb , put on 3 stone with first dd and havent lost that either.

I feel really rotten and will def hold hands

sarahken Fri 24-Jul-09 22:37:33

Weight watchers gives everything a points value and after a while it becomes pretty second nature. They also have another system called the core plan which allows you to eat anything you want and as much as you want from a certain list of foods so no counting, then you get an extra allocation of points to spend during the weeks on treats and things not on the list.

If you can't get to meetings there is weight watchers online but its pretty expensive and you will need more willpower as there's no one to check up on you. If I was you and had will power I would get the basics such as a points calculator off ebay or weight watchers do a starter packs with eating out guides, shopping guides, calculator, tape measure, tracker etc for about £20 which you can buy from their website. Just go to boots and weight yourself on their machines once a week. You don't have to be a weight watchers member to join their online chat groups where you will pick up loads of tips. I just like weight watchers and find it works for me as nothing is restricted and I'm a big lover of junk food! grin

sarahken Fri 24-Jul-09 22:40:59

Plus like you say SparkyMalarky its best to set small goals and targets. I try and split mine into 7lb segments, 5% body loss, 10% body loss etc etc as it can seem a bit outfacing when you have alot to lose

Haribosmummy Sat 25-Jul-09 06:45:45

I have between 2-3 stone to lose!!! shock

PLus, I really need to get fit and tone up too...

Can we have a weekly weigh in here? smile

SparkyMalarky Sat 25-Jul-09 08:35:42

HI MUM1 - v pleased of the hand holding I've started to feel really crap about the weight too - before I think I could get away with curvy...now am definitely fat

Weekly weigh in a v good idea...what day shall be weigh in day?

Thanks for the tips Sarahken am off to look at eBay for points calculators!!

Haribosmummy Sat 25-Jul-09 22:05:59

Oh god... I dared get on the scales today.

I weigh 12st 4oz!!!!!!!!!!! blush sad

Pre-pregnancies (This time AKA 2 years ago) I weighed 9st 6oz.

I think weigh in day should be Friday... Does that suit everyone?

SparkyMalarky Sun 26-Jul-09 09:46:26

fine for me

So it's Day 1 of diet and am sitting down to a healthy but filling breakfast of yogurt, banana and granola and planning on having a green tea (hmmm, not sure about that!) too....

salad for lunch....let's see how we go!!

JigglyPiggy Sun 26-Jul-09 09:48:35

Hi all

Can i sign up over here? The thread title sums it up for me completely!

DS is coming up to 10wks and I have been feeling really rubbish about my weight. I have been back at SW for the past couple of weeks and lost a stone but have another 5 and a bit to go blush

Pregnancy was a streesful time for lots of reasons so my weight shot up again, think it was near 18 stone at the end and therefore almost stopped me from giving birth where i wanted to.

sparky is today your start day? hows it going so far? I have lots of GI books here if you need any tips?

sarahken that is a fab loss so far, how did you find getting started back at the gym? I need to get more active but i feel so unmotivated.

mum1 i dont want to think about the weight gain i still have from DD 4 years ago, are you trying to follow any set diet?

haribo if you have any toning up tips send them my way please! I know i have lots to shift before toning is going to make a difference but Im scared that even as the weight goes im still going to be left with a tummy im having to tuck into my jeans sad

Now I have the little ones settled Im going to finish my coffee and jump on my new vibration machine thingy - its a proper exercise one before I get any cheeky remarks grin

JigglyPiggy Sun 26-Jul-09 09:51:27

x posts sparky

breakfast souns healthy. I have tons of green tea in the cupboard but never drink it blush. I have heard that hot water with a slice of lemon first thing in the morning is supposed to help with the healthy eating / weight loss.

I however need coffee (and lots of it ) grin

SparkyMalarky Sun 26-Jul-09 21:23:37

oh dear...today started well but ended badly, with DH and I feeling v ropey and cracking into a box of chocs....still, only had a couple and enjoyed my salad for lunch and went for a long walk this afternoon so not all bad!!

Did my start weight this morning - actually now 16st 5lb blush. Damn those biscuits. Fingers crossed for at least a pound off by Friday.

JigglyPiggy - a pleasure to have you....how was the vibration thingy?

PS - managed 2 cups of green tea today and no coffee!! Hurray!

Haribosmummy Sun 26-Jul-09 21:58:27

I won't be here on Friday - will still be in Hospital - but my 'starting weight' is 12st 4lbs...

I'll check back in next week with an update.

I'm also going to have to think of a new name... any suggestions???????????

Night, HM

JigglyPiggy Sun 26-Jul-09 22:13:00

i think its important to try and get a balance so the long walk probably reduces the effect of the chocolate grin

vibration thingy is good. felt strangely positive after doing it and actually got motivated and did stuff i had been avoiding for ages today. Only started using it today but it was a bargin £50 in the sales.

my current weight is 16st 2lbs. I weigh in on a tuesday at SW and don't have scales in the house <obsessive emotion> but can cheer everyone else on every friday if thats ok?

2 cups of green tea is good but can I challenge you to 3 and no coffee tomorrow as i need to cut down on my milk usage!

SparkyMalarky Mon 27-Jul-09 13:09:50

right - pedometer is on 3500 steps so far and aiming for 7000 by bed time!!

Jiggly - no green tea yet today, just fruit juice and diet coke so had better go and start on my challenge!! The vibration thing sounds v interesting - is it like a home version of power plate?

Haribosmummy you have an unfair advantage wink having a baby you're almost certain to lose a stone by Friday!! Good luck

Off to change beds and avoid biscuit tin - how's everyone else doing?

SparkyMalarky Mon 27-Jul-09 13:10:26

PS - I know fruit juice not v low GI, but I need to get my 5+ a day!!

JigglyPiggy Mon 27-Jul-09 14:32:32

no green tea here yet either.

you are doing well with the pedometer. I am dying to get outside for a walk but it is pouring and pouring here.

vibration thingy

not sure how effective it is compared to the others as the one at the gym you could move and feel it in different body parts - maybe it has too much to shake through to reach my stomach yet? grin

I have a confession to make aswell. Ive been back to the GP's and i am now on xenical. Can I still hang out here and chat though? feel like im cheating but my bmi is 34ish and I feel worse than ever about my weight.

going to have some lunch & pray for some sunshine.

Haribosmummy I predict you will be slimmer of the week this week!

sarahken Mon 27-Jul-09 21:42:30

Hi, JigglyPiggly, I was a bit apprehensive and self conscious about joining a gym. I havent been to an exercise since the age of 18 (7 years ago) and I consider myself very unfit! But I started off last week just going to the pool and swimming breast stroke for about 20-50 lengths a sessions. I also tried aqua aerobics which was full of people of all ages and sizes and the exercises were fine and you could do as much or as little as you wanted. I've also tried thai chi this week which I loved, plus I was the most flexible in the class, had nothing to do the fact that everyone was at least 25 years older than me!lol. I've also now plucked up the courage to go in the actual gym part which wasnt as bad as I thought as everyone is concerntrating on what they are doing themselves. Managed 5 miles on the bike and been on the rowing machine and some light weights.

Been to the gym everyday for the last 8 days and I'm now addicted. I've gone from being a slob to a gym bunny in a week, just hope I keep it up. This week hoping to try yoga and pilates as well. I thining joining a gym is great as you get to try lots of different exercise classes which are included in the price which you may have never tried and you can find ones that work for you and keep you interested. My gym membership is £26 per month, but thats less than a £1 a day and weight watchers costs £22 per month which is only for an hour once a week.

Can I suggest people also measure their bust, waist, hips, thighs and upper arms as some weeks you may not lose but you may have inch loss if they are toning up. This can keep you motivated on weeks you may feel like giving up, just a tip I picked up from weight watchers

Hope everyone's dieting is going well

JigglyPiggy Tue 28-Jul-09 21:33:56

blimey thats alot of exercise! i think i might have a look and see whats on at the local rec centre but i'm not ready for the gym yet

weigh in tonight and i'm 3.5lb down smile

hows everyone else doing? whose weighing in on friday?

SparkyMalarky Wed 29-Jul-09 14:04:42

me!!

have been to mummy and baby yoga, done lots of walks and managed to stay out of the biscuit tin more than normal so will hopefully have lost some by Friday

jiggly 3.5 lb down is fantastic - well done! Of course you can stay - i'm breastfeeding so don't think I can take anything but was thinking of trying alli when I stop.

sarah top tip for the measuring - will do that today...wonder how haribo is...

think I'll go for a walk this afternoon ...would type more but am doing it one handed as have baby in arms...back later

sarahken Wed 29-Jul-09 22:25:47

Can I weigh in on a wednesday please as thats the day I go to weight watchers? This week I have lost 3lbs, taking my total weight loss to 3st 1 lbs in 10 weeks (21 1/2 lbs since joining ww 8 weeks ago). I was so pleased as got my 3rd silver 7 and my 10% body loss keyring. I measured myself last night and was surprised as I have lost 4.5 inches from my hips, 4" from my stomach, 2.5" from waist and 3" from bust in 8 weeks and have gone down a dress size. I'm more pleased with this than the weight loss itself as I can see on a tape measure my loss. I would definately recommend measuring.

Just ordered myself a yoga dvd off ebay for 99p, and got a FAME dance dvd £3 also off ebay to bop round my living room to when the kids are in bed.Plus the Vicky Binns (Molly from Corro's) dvd which was reduced from £19.99 to £2.99 on Play.com which is meant to be really good. This weight loss business is costing me a fortune as got a pedometre(sorry bad spelling) from weight watchers today as I won a £5 voucher at my meeting today. Here's to walking more!

SparkyMalarky baby yoga sounds great, wish they did it in my area. Great start jigglypiggy, well done

JigglyPiggy Thu 30-Jul-09 22:34:50

evening everyone

mum & baby yoga sounds fab. Think i need to look at mummy and baby exercises as DS is huge for 10wks so i would burn loads lifting him!

Sarahken - you have done so well for 10wks. am very envy of your 3st weight loss

Haribosmummy - hope all is well and you have had your LO

Haribosmummy Fri 31-Jul-09 17:12:59

Hey!

Just a really quick post from me to say that my LO was born on Wednesday.

She's tiny (6lb 8oz) but doing well and we are home now.

So, new baby is here... New body is next on the list!! Obv. will take it easy, but will weigh in next Friday and think I must've lost some weight this week!

HM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now