Talk

Advanced search

A few pouinds to lose - ideas for the best way please??

(7 Posts)
notyummy Thu 23-Jul-09 10:05:07

I know, I know....eat less, move more blah blah.

Bit of background. Going on holiday beginning of September. Want to be the same weight as last year. I am 5 10 and currently weigh 11 stone 2. Last year was about 10 stone 12, so have about 5 or 6 pounds to lose.

I know this may sound pretty heavy to many people, but this sort of weight looks about right on me, and means that I am a 10 on top and 12 bottom. My body fat % is OK (25/26%), BMI is fine and waist measurement well within the healthy range. I want to lose weight because my clothes feel slightly tight - and I scared of getting on a slippery slope and ending up putting more and more on.

I exercise quite a lot - circuits/running/yoga/pilates. I try and do 3/4 aerobic sessions (either a 5-7 mile run or Billy Blanks Boot Camp work out) a week plus 2/3 toning (30/45 minutes of pliates/yoga or weights. Maybe I need to change my exercise?

My diet is mainly healthy, but I have been guilty of hanging round the biscuit tin at work, so I think that may be responsible for the few pounds that have arrived (or maybe its just getting closer to 40 that has done it!) I therefore vow to cut out biscuits and cake (perhaps a few squares of green and blacks everyday instead?)

Are there any other hints/tips, or even better magic products that actually work in terms of dropping a few pounds or toning up bottom/thighs?

TIA

notyummy Thu 23-Jul-09 10:27:56

Bump

notyummy Thu 23-Jul-09 11:40:09

bump

cvyes Thu 23-Jul-09 11:47:06

Hi I'm 5'9" and have am on day 5 of the Jason Vale juicing diet which should hopefully make me 7lbs lighter after 7 days! I weighed 11 9 on day 1 and I long for the days pre children where I was a happy 10 4!the 1st 3 days on this diet were really tough but now am into it all and although I haven't weighed in yet my clothes are definitely looser! In addition to this I won an exercise bike off ebay for £10 & just 20 mins a day on this is really helping to tone legs & bum!
Good luck, let me know what you decide

duckyfuzz Thu 23-Jul-09 12:00:26

i've just lost a stone in a month by cutting out most carbs and wine Mon-thurs - I had a lot more excess than you though and although I have stuck to it, I haven't had such dramatic loss in the last couple of weeks and you may find it slower

notyummy Thu 23-Jul-09 12:30:56

Hmm, interesting! You sound fairly similar to me cvyes - I've got less to lose....but only because I am setting a higher target IFYSWIM! Might have a look at the juicing thing.

ducky - I don't drink much at all at the moment. Probably on average twice a month at weekend - although if I am on holiday its a different story. I work 4 days and have a 2 1/2 to 3 commute on each of those days, so fitting everything in can be a challenge, and I avoid alcohol on work nights.

I did the GI diet a few years ago and it seemed eminently sensible. IIRC it involved cutting out alchohol and cutting back on processed carbs - only limited amounts of new potatoes and wholegrains allowed.

Will have to do some research.

Any other ideas out there?

notyummy Thu 23-Jul-09 15:59:49

Right off out for a run - approx 1300 calories eaten today and run should burn off around 550 apparently. Aiming for around 1800 per day with exercise 5 days a week - may need to do more cardio and less toning...although muscle burns more calories. Will look up juicing stuff tonight.

Any other thoughts folks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now