Talk

Advanced search

That old 'breakfast like a king etc...' thing. Is it bollocks?

(4 Posts)
MrsMattie Wed 22-Jul-09 17:00:33

I have been struggling to shift a couple of stone for ages. I have been exercising a couple of times a week and leading a much more active life (walking everywhere, getting off the tube to work two stops earlier, taking stairs instead of lifts etc etc). I also started eating sensibly and following the old saying 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper'.

I lost 3lbs in 2 months.

Switched it around according to what I actually feel like eating and when. I'm now having:

Breakfast: Homemade fruit smoothie

Lunch: very light - egg salad or half a sandwich and piece of fruit

Dinner: whatever I want - big portion of meat or fish and veg and potatoes or rice, followed by pudding.

I've lost a 10lbs in a fortnight.

So...is that old adage bollocks, then??

piscesmoon Wed 22-Jul-09 19:46:46

I'm sure it is true. However it wouldn't work for me-I can keep going easily until lunch on a bowl of porridge, then a light lunch and a largish evening meal with lots of veg. If I did it the other way I would be miserable in the evening. I think you just have to work out what suits you.

Mintyy Wed 22-Jul-09 19:51:23

I like to think its bollocks because I just do not want very much to eat at all in the morning. And never before I've been awake for an hour or two. So then I might have a small breakfast at, say, 9am. By 11.30 I'm starving again - whether I've had breakfast or not.

We are all different.

Well done on the 10lb though grin.

BintOfBohemia Wed 22-Jul-09 19:56:40

tis bollocks - a calorie is a calorie no matter what time you have it.

I've lost a shedload of weight recently and swear a lot of it is down to having a proteiny breakfast with little or no fat (eggs, sometimes quorn sausages) soup for lunch and a bigger meal in the evening. So more lunch like a pauper, I suppose...

Well done though, sounds like what you're doing is working really well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now