Talk

Advanced search

how to lose fat, not muscle

(10 Posts)
FairLadyRantALot Sun 19-Jul-09 00:04:42

anyone know...jyst rewatchd a size zero programme....and seems most diets make you loose weight , bt not fat...
so...come on wht way to beat that...

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 19-Jul-09 12:22:39

take in fewer calories than you need. Your body then uses the fat for fuel. Don't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week.

Apparently, to lose a pound a week, you need to drop 500 cals a day! To lose 2 a week, you need to drop 1000 cals a day!

You don't do that by food alone btw! grin you do it by a combination of food and exercise.

So drop 500 cals a day from your food and do half an hour exercise a day.

calories you lose during exercise

FairLadyRantALot Sun 19-Jul-09 17:33:01

but doesn't the body also use muscle for fuel?Or only if you totally underfeed it?

FairLadyRantALot Sun 19-Jul-09 17:34:34

cool link btw, thank you

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 19-Jul-09 19:54:56

If you google "lose fat not muscle" you will find lots and lots of tips on how to do that. Includes what to eat and what type of exercise to do. One thing it says is to do a type of exercise that builds muscle because your body then knows it has to hold onto the muscle because it's needed!

Aim to drop 500 calories a day, 250 from diet, 250 from exercise. Do both cardio and weights. Do not think you will bulk up if you do weights. You won't. Promise.

Also I'm guessing that if you google "lose fat not muscle" at least half of what comes back is absolute bollocks.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 19-Jul-09 20:22:24

yup. but the other half seems sensible. grin

canttouchthis Sun 19-Jul-09 20:28:30

I have been using an exercise bike for about 3 months now (30 min sessions three times a week) and although I'm not losing weight in lbs, I can feel the weight loss in my clothing. They are going on alot easier (especially the bottom half!). It's not really answering your question directly, but does indicate that there's muscle being built here. And muscle does weigh more than fat (hence why my weight is staying the same yet my clothes are fitting better these days!).

HTH.

countryhousehotel Sun 19-Jul-09 20:34:41

Important to do resistance training too as lean muscle burns more calories than fat even at rest. Combining weights with cardio, generally eating healthily and being careful that you aren't over-eating (or drinking) will get results fast.

FairLadyRantALot Sun 19-Jul-09 20:50:06

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now