Talk

Advanced search

Hittin' the Gym- Gym attendance thread 09!

(133 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sun 05-Jul-09 18:57:14

A little late in the year, yes, but with summer here, I'm sure there's a few of us hitting the gym! So, to introduce myself.

Name: LollipopViolet, Lolli, LV or any other variation.
Goal: To lose my belly and tone my body so I don't feel ashamed around my skinny mini mates.
Started: 6/7/09 (I am joining my local Fitness First tomorrow, and doing a session with some mates).

So, tomorrow the regime begins. I am aiming to go 5 days a week when not at uni, and a MINIMUM of 2 days a week from September. I will do cardio, weights, and class that takes my fancy on a given day- tomorrow I am going to try Body Pump. I aim to lose about 4 stone (I think I'm around 13, want to be close to 9, but would be happy with 10). I need to curb my sweet tooth, but I'm sure if I am exercising a little treat won't hurt...

So come on ladies, let's support each other!

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 19:00:47

Good thread. Am training for 10k but have a bad wrist injury and somehow running feels wierd as my arm just hangs, its hard to explain. I feel better at gym where my arm can rest on treadmill bit.

Name: Giraffes
Goal: Training for 10k in Sept - running for Tommys baby charity in memory of my DD. And weight loss would be a very welcome side effect.
Started: Well started a while ago but need to go more often...

LollipopViolet Sun 05-Jul-09 19:10:33

Giraffes, that's a lovely reason to do a 10k Good luck!

DrZeus Sun 05-Jul-09 19:32:21

Body pump is FAB! I started over 2 and half years ago and it really changed and toned my body shape. Takes a couple of classes to get used to the choreography but the music is really good!

LollipopViolet Sun 05-Jul-09 19:33:38

OK, what do you do in the class? Is it like, dancing, or is it something completely new? I've done step classes before, but that's about it.

DrZeus Sun 05-Jul-09 19:58:08

Body pump is a weights class. I've copied this from the pump website

here

The overall objective of a BODYPUMP™ class is to improve strength and endurance in the major muscle groups and, in doing so, burn calories.

Each of the tracks has a specific training objective and is purposely sequenced for maximum effect.

The standard length of each class is 10 tracks and 60 minutes. An optional 45-minute, eight-track format is also available, omitting the triceps and biceps tracks.

Track names and training objectives are as follows:

1. WARMUP
The opening track is designed to warm up all the major muscles and prepare the body for the workout ahead. First we adopt the BODYPUMP™ set position of standing upright with great posture, heels under hips with the toes turned out slightly. The tummy is held in tight, the chest is proud with the shoulders down and back and knees are soft… Then we do shortened versions of each of the main exercises to follow, warming up all the major muscle groups and preparing the body for the workout ahead.
2. LEGS/SQUATS
The first real working track targets the biggest muscle groups of quadriceps, gluteals and hamstrings with squats performed at different speeds – slow for strengthening and toning, fast for burning calories. Participants will use their heaviest weight selection for this track.
3. CHEST
The focus changes from legs to the upper body and lighter weights are used as participants lie back on their bench to work the barbell up and down at chest level. This track targets the major muscles of the chest, shoulders and triceps with moves of varying range and intensity.
4. BACK
Participants return to the standing set position for the most athletic track of the class. A selection of lifts and deadrows trains the postural muscles of the upper-mid and lower back and the cardio-vascular system soars with clean and presses, where the barbell is lifted high above the head. This engages all the muscles of the upper-mid and lower back, as well as working the gluteals and hamstrings.
5. TRICEPS
Time to lie back on the bench again and sculpt and tone the triceps using lighter weights. The barbell is held at chest level and lowered toward the forehead or chest by bending the arms at the elbow. Other moves may include tricep kickbacks using a single plate, tricep push-ups and tricep dips.
6. BICEPS
Similar of slightly lighter weights are used to isolate and train the biceps with a succession of lifts and curls.
7. LUNGES
Weights are optional in the lunge track, which revisits and trains multiple leg muscles by extending one leg forward (on or off the bench) and dropping the back knee towards the floor.
8. SHOULDERS
Barbells and single, hand-held plates are used in this track to work all areas of the deltoids in a range of different ways. Exercises can include lateral raises with plates, upright rows, rotator and overhead presses – and the ever-faithful push-ups.
9. ABDOMINALS
The last working track is focused on all areas of the body’s core, relying heavily on the use of sit-ups and leg raises, with bodyweight ‘hovers’ and ‘planks’ also frequently incorporated. Single plates may be placed on the chest or lifted overhead to increase the work-load.
10. COOLDOWN
Soothing music is usually used to accompany a final sequence of stretches to complete the workout and help reduce any risk of muscle soreness or injury.

The website also shows you the key moves which is very useful.

LollipopViolet Sun 05-Jul-09 20:11:16

^^ That sounds quite scary, I might still give it a go though, because if I run away from the scary stuff, I'll never do it, and I find weights boring normally so maybe it'll help!

LollipopViolet Mon 06-Jul-09 08:33:40

Well, I've announced to my Facebook friends I'm going to the gym this morning, and I've got a lift arranged, there's no going back now, just need to find the strength to sign that membership lol!

LollipopViolet Mon 06-Jul-09 13:34:40

OK, I've now joined the gym, got my free backpack, towel and booklet things, and today I did:

10 mins bike
5 mins crosstrainer (I hate them and did it as a warmup, must try harder!)
20 mins treadmill
About 15 minutes doing various weight machine things.

Have weighed myself, and now have a starting point to see if I lose any over the week. Didn't do the Body Pump class, not quite ready for it I don't think. Have paid £35 to go on a programme where if I have 3 sessions with a personal trainer, and do 7 solo sessions, I get my money back, effectively making this month free.

First personal training session is 10.30 tomorrow

Sassyfrassy Mon 06-Jul-09 18:58:17

Hiya,

I rejoined the gym after pregnancy a couple of months ago but the last month I haven't really gone due to colds, dd in hospital and so on, but I now really need to get back on track before I go back to work in september.

I aim to go 3 times a week, and I have a program I follow.

I do, ten minutes crosstrainer, every 45 seconds I speed up.
1km on rower
various weight machines
2 excercises for stomach, find these very difficult to do. I blame that on having had 2 c-sections =)

beaniebaby25 Mon 06-Jul-09 23:07:49

Can I join too?

I go to the gym around 2-3 times a week, mainly for Spin classes. I am also a member of Fitness First Lolli, and there are about four clubs on my way home from work so I can choose which one to go to depending on which classes they have, which is quite nice. I've booked in for a Body Pump class on Weds... which I'm scared about having read Dr Zeus' description!!

I'm trying to lose weight for a couple of holidays i have coming up. Quick resume:

Name: Beaniebaby25
Goal: Weight loss/toning to feel reasonably confident in a bikini
Started: I ran the London Marathon in April and my gym training has been a continuation of that.

Loving Spin classes, which apparently burn 499 calories according to the Food Focus site hmm and I'm also on the slim fastdiet so hoping to give the gym a extra helping hand grin

LollipopViolet Tue 07-Jul-09 08:43:37

Well, I meet this personal trainer guy at 10.30 today (hope he's good looking that'll be an incentive in itself!). I know roughly what I want to achieve, and if I can do it without going near the Stair -Monster- Master machines, then that's just dandy because I hate them with a passion! I'd also like to get advice on how to do free weights. I like the machines but I'd love to do those to help my arms that little bit more. Am going to go today, then have a rest day tomorrow, then go Thursday, then am working Friday so can't get there (work and gym are very far apart, and gym is not on bus route home), then I'm probably going to go on Saturday, and have agreed to meet a friend on Sunday. Then, on Monday, I'll do my weekly weigh in.

Indiechick Tue 07-Jul-09 09:19:47

Ooh can I join your group? I've been going since Jan and really enjoy the gym (never thought I'd say that). I go 3 times a week and swim once a week. I do 30ins cardio and 10 mins weights but really should increase levels or time on each machine. I like cycling best and the cross trainer. So far have lost 1 stone. Hoping for another 7 pounds by holiday (3 weeks away).

Smalline Tue 07-Jul-09 09:36:07

Hi, can I join too please. I'm not a member of a gym, gave that up 2 years ago. I mainly exercise at home doing dvds, Billy Blanks is my favourite trainer at the moment. I have just completed the 30 day EA Sports Active challenge, it's a Wii game, it's like having a personal trainer in your home.
Anyway I'm the oldest of the bunch so far I'll be 48 next week, but with 2 young children, one still in infants and one in juniors I feel and look (so I have been told) a lot younger.
Recently exercise seems to have taken a back seat, I want to increase my workouts to say 4 times a week rather than 2 so that is my goal, also the school holidays are coming up, that's the time I usually put on weight, I don't want to this year, could really do with losing a stone.

LollipopViolet Tue 07-Jul-09 15:50:56

Personal trainer man was lovely, not that good looking though (did have very defined muscles though...) anyway, he's killed my arms! My shoulders, back of my shoulders, upper arms and also thighs really ache! Thighs because of the x-trainer, and arms because of all the weights. Today I did:

10 mins cross trainer on the "hill plus" programme
15 mins treadmill
10 mins bike as a cooldown
3 x 15 chest presses
3 x 15 tricep presses
3 x 15 bicep curls
3 x 15 ab crunches
3 x 15 shoulder presses
3 x 15 lat pull downs

I'm having a rest day tomorrow, may go again on Thursday, have to go on Saturday at 11.30 for the trainer man to kill my leg muscles. Then in the final session he will kill my tummy muscles.

I'm gonna feel that lot tomorrow aren't I? I already am a bit, but it's gonna get worse tomorrow, isn't it?

HarryB Wed 08-Jul-09 08:27:04

Can I join pretty please?

Name: Harry B
Age: 36 blush I'll be the granny older sister of the group shall I.
Goal: To go from size 16 to size 12 so I can get back in my work clothes in November.
Started: 1/6/09. 2 hour long gym sessions per week & 1 hours tennis or badminton.
Progress: Got into some jeans that wouldn't go near me 2 months ago. Things are slowly looking up.

LollipopViolet Wed 08-Jul-09 16:05:03

Welcome to one and all I'm now back in the gym tomorrow. Thought I was going to have to wait til Saturday due to phone problems, but ordered my iPhone from Apple instead of o2 and now have the day free to go training with one of my gym buddies Happy times.

beaniebaby25 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:23:26

hi everyone! smile

I'm doing two classes tonight at the gym and I'm really looking forward to them. I've got a 15 minute abs class, five min break and then a 45 minute Spin class. grin

Will feel holier-than-thou all evening... which will hopefully stop me reaching for the snack cupboard blush

LollipopViolet Wed 08-Jul-09 18:44:39

Oooh go you! I've just had a rather naughty dinner. Steak, jacket potato and salad. Well, only the steak was really naughty, and even that was lean with no fat lol! Just feels a bit funny eating steak when I'm trying to be healthy.

I intend to do part of my programme tomorrow, I've worked out doing everything I was shown yesterday each time would a) kill me and b) take ages. So I have some nice cardio and strength exercises to choose from. And I'm going out with mum beforehand to get some nice new workout clothes.

Ladies, does anyone find a standard "sports" bra does nothing for you? I'm thinking of getting a Nike/Reebok/other brand one from Sports Direct, is it worth it?

HarryB Thu 09-Jul-09 13:49:13

Lollipop, I have an M&S sports bra which is great for keeping the frontage under control (I'm a 36E) - it looks just like a normal bra too, not like those mini vest type things.

beaniebaby25 Thu 09-Jul-09 14:26:56

i don't use a sports bra. i'm small of norkage anyway, 32C, and they dont move about much. i do have one, but it makes them look all pointy and weird blush and i'm too vain to use it!!

I prob should get a decent one though that i feel ok to wear, i imagine it won't be doing me any favours not wearing one.

Spin last night was good, although i think combined with the diet as well i found i didn't have as much energy as usual. Struggled with it to be honest. Don't ache today though, so that's good.

I'm doing a Body Pump class tonight... and i'm scared! I'll be sure to get there early and tell the instructor what a wimp i am i've never done it before!

LollipopViolet Thu 09-Jul-09 15:48:34

I've just got back from the gym. Did little bits of my workout from last time and some new stuff.

10 mins x-trainer
5 mins treadmill (must do better but x-trainer kills me right now!)
15 mins bike
5 mins rowing
Some bicep curls
Some lat pulldowns
Some leg extensions
Some reps on the hip adductor and hip abductor
Some squats
Some ab crunches

So about 2 hours spent in the gym, very pleased, ache all over again, but have a rest day before going back on Saturday and Sunday.

Smalline Thu 09-Jul-09 18:54:50

Right did a Wii EA Sports Active workout on Tuesday, it was a 50 minute circuit & consisted of Volleyball, boxing, lunges, running, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, baseball, jumping lunges, single lunges with knee highs, lateral raises, more running, target practice, in-line skating more running and lots more but I can't remember them.

Tonight I am doing an aerobics class.

I don't wear sports bras LV, I just wear sports tops with the bras built in if you know what I mean.

LollipopViolet Thu 09-Jul-09 19:58:51

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got myself a nice sports bra, seems to work OK, I think. Tell you what though, my muscles are SOOO sore!

Smalline Thu 09-Jul-09 21:46:48

No pain, no gain, or so they say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now