Talk

Advanced search

mirena coil

(16 Posts)
fravvy Thu 02-Jul-09 00:37:04

i have had the coil since sept in that time have gained 3 stone lost all sex drive am so up and down with my moods one min tearful next really angry i do not feel myself at all i was advised to have the coil because i suffered with heavy periods but it has been a nightmare have been to se about having it removed but they cannot find threads so am now waiting for a scan my gp has been brill but the gnye consultant was so rude and said there is no way u can put all that weight on with the coil she made me feel so ashamed of myself and went home in tears i would say to anyone dont have it fitted hopefully will get sorted soon i exercise 4 times a week eat healthy even went to slimming club and not lost a pound !!!!!

JocastaAKACassiesam Thu 02-Jul-09 08:15:39

That's bloody ridiculous that she's claimed it's impossible to gain that weight due to the Mirena - it's one of the recognised possible side effects. Hugs to you honey :-*

I've had the Mirena twice and will NEVER have it again. I was very lucky in that I didn't suffer any of the side effects but the first one left me with an infection, and I had the second one removed when I was six weeks pregnant (yep, that's right - I found out the hard way that sometimes even the most effective contraception on the market doesn't work).

I think when it works, it's probably the best thing out there but I hear so many stories like this of it not working. I also found having it put in pretty traumatic - really messed with my head.

Have you heard about the implanon? It's an implant that goes in your arm. I've never tried it but have heard good things about it - there are also weight gain implications with it but they don't affect everyone and are apparently few and far between - may be the route I go next time (currently pregnant).

herbietea Thu 02-Jul-09 08:21:17

Message withdrawn

aGalChangedHerName Thu 02-Jul-09 08:24:45

Herbie i was offered the ablation too and was too scared to go for it so had the mirena instead. I have put on 2st but am losing it slowly on a healthy eating plan (very slowly tho)

What was the recovery like after the ablation? If you don't mind me asking.

TIA

herbietea Thu 02-Jul-09 14:50:20

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jul-09 15:09:23

my sister had ablation, too, and she didn't bleed for weeks and weeks. says it's the best thing she's done!

aGalChangedHerName Thu 02-Jul-09 15:32:50

My periods are settling down a little now (had the mirena done in January) but they are unpredictable still. Can still be every 2 weeks,bleed off and on (not heavy anymore which is good) for 10 days and sometimes more.

The ablation sounded awful re recovery etc and as i am a CM i can't really afford weeks off work tbh. Did you need time off Herbie?

Did your sis have time off Expat?

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jul-09 15:39:42

my sister had hers done in the US. over there, it's some kind of laser. it's done under local anaesthetic, too, with twilight sedation in a day surgery unit, so you go home that day.

she's a teacher. she had it done during summer hols but she had it on a Friday afternoon and was up and about by Monday.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 02-Jul-09 15:49:32

Really?? Will speak to my GP next time i am in then. I just want normal periods sad

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jul-09 15:52:21

she hardly gets any period at all, agalch, which pleases her much.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 02-Jul-09 15:59:42

Oh god no periods <faints> I loved being pg and not having the buggers so much i had 4 dc lol

The way i feel atm just normalish would do tbh. Glas it worked for your sis and you too Herbie.

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jul-09 16:08:34

Mirena was BIG nightmare for her. gave her cysts.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 02-Jul-09 16:19:02

Hmm a visit to the GP sooner rather than later perhaps....

herbietea Thu 02-Jul-09 18:07:39

Message withdrawn

aGalChangedHerName Fri 03-Jul-09 17:27:50

Gosh Herbie that sounds great. I do have a friend who is a CM too who could take my little mindee if necessary for a few days.

Thanks for that both of you.

cally1105 Mon 20-Jul-09 12:14:55

Hi, i too had the mirena coil fitted last june after a laparoscopy which diagnosed severe endometriosis. since then i have pains in the tops of my legs, off and on backache, irregular periods with spotting in between and have put on at least a stone in weight! no changes to my diet if anything im eating less now because of the weight gain than i was before. no amounting of dieting or exercise seems to work. well look into the copper coil to see if that makes any difference. amazing how it was my husband that suggested that the weight gain might be due to the coil and reading other comments just confirms the suspicions!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now