Talk

Advanced search

Question about carbs.

(8 Posts)
DidEinsteinsMum Sun 28-Jun-09 13:57:01

Okay this is probably very obvious to those who know but:

Are pearl barley and butter nut squash considered to be carbs?

Trying to sort out diet which has been carb heavy and nutritianally poor. Trying to exclude the chocolate sugar and reduce the carb level whilst uping veg and still being able to face eating. Need shoving in right direction.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 28-Jun-09 14:28:48

I tried to find out for you, on the low carb site that I use, but the carb counter was unavailable, so suspect they're having server problems.

Both will have carbs, and I would guess that the barley will be higher, being a grain.

gingernutlover Sun 28-Jun-09 14:29:20

not sure if this answrrs you but my GI book says that the pearl barley is a grain (rtaher than a pulse which is what I had assumed) but it is low GI, meaning it will give you a long sustained filled up feeling rather than a quick sugar high

i am guessing squashes come under the same heading as pumpkins which are high GI but okay as part of a meal which is balanced.

I dont think yopu need to worry about inckluding these things in your diet if you are cutting out choclate and other refined carbs like white pasta white rice white flour and white bread.

Butternut squash and lentil soup is delicious by the way and fills me up for ages.

gingernutlover Sun 28-Jun-09 14:31:47

just checked the packet, per 100g pearl barley 83g of carbs ( all starch no sugar)

DidEinsteinsMum Sun 28-Jun-09 15:49:10

Actually have a lovely recipie for roasted butter nut squash and was thinking about substuting it for potatoe - higher veg fibre and vit content. (i believe)

Have you got a good recepie you are prepared to share on that soup?

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 16:00:24

Message withdrawn

gingernutlover Sun 28-Jun-09 17:46:33

hi, erm dont really have a recipe cos i make these things up LOL

i peel and chop a butternut squash and boil it along with a couple of handfuls of red split lentils, add mixed herbs, garlic, seasoning and a knob of butter too then when it's cooked i blitz it

its yummy

Casserole Sun 28-Jun-09 18:21:39

Butternut squash has a relatively low carb count. I mash it in place of potatoes when I'm Atkinsing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now