Talk

Advanced search

running

(8 Posts)
kittycats Sat 20-Jun-09 13:27:18

Hi, dont know if this is the right place but here goes.

My friend is over weight and wants to start running . She has asked me my advice as to how she should start (she does no exercise at all, she never walks anywhere, always drives) I have no idea where she should start, ive never run (apart from for a bus lol). Im sure you need good footwear and start by walking???

Can anyone help? I dont want her killing herself!

Chulita Sat 20-Jun-09 13:37:36

Encourage your friend just to start walking places. Running if you've never run and you're overweight will be detrimental in the long run (joint wear, muscle fatigue). People who haven't run before and then start running tend not to keep it up because it's hard work and they tend to over-do it and stop because their legs hurt grin
Running is a lot of fun and is good for weight loss but you do have to start slowly IME. Deffo get a good pair of shoes that fit well and just start walking. Even a couple of miles at a decent pace will burn calories and will start her off. I didn't run for over a year while pregnant and after having csec but I've been walking every day with DD in her buggy and when I finally did start running again a few weeks ago I was surprised at how far I could actually go. This is just from my experience (there's a book called Running Made Easy which has some good tips for starting up)
Biggest tip though - start slow!!
HTH

kittycats Sat 20-Jun-09 15:57:20

Thanks, i will tell her. I think she wants quick weight loss so she thinks that by running the weight will come off quicker.

ShowOfHands Sat 20-Jun-09 16:03:35

Here

This is useful. Look at the beginner programmes for example, an easy start. I think that's important. Going from overweight and no exercise to trying to run with no idea what/how far/when etc is demoralising and bad for your joints in the long run. (pun completely intended)

kittycatty Tue 23-Jun-09 14:34:36

grin

OrmIrian Tue 23-Jun-09 14:38:07

It will help with weight loss, or at least with changing her shape. I don't weigh so don't know much about that but it helps to slim you down.

breeminor Tue 23-Jun-09 19:11:18

runnersworld.co.uk is a good source of information. It has lots of articles for beginners as well as more seasoned runners. There are also several forums and the chance to chat to other people.

geekgirl78 Sat 27-Jun-09 10:06:00

Hi - I started running last year when I was overweight - and finally lost nearly 7 stone blush so it definitely helps!
I agree with all of the advice given above - when I was really big I just walked - briskly - as I was really worried about knackering my knees. I then followed a run-walk program where you run for initally v v short intervals and walk inbetween, then gradually up the running and cut the walking 'till you are running for 30 mins at a time. There's lots of schedules out there but the one I used was here: www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml . If your friend has an mp3 or iplayer you can down-load a podcast which has music interpsersed with beeps to indicate when to walk/run. I used it and it's much nicer than squinting at your watch when you are sweaty and out of breath! You can get the podcast from i-tunes.
Oh - and get some decent trainers - it's the only thing between the road and your knees. Best to go to a proper running shop for these, there's quite a lot to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now