Advanced search

Starting alli tomorrow

(28 Posts)
Kafka Sun 14-Jun-09 20:07:59

Anybody want to join me?

Yurtgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 20:10:10

What the heck is alli? [confused]

SmileyMylee Sun 14-Jun-09 23:25:49

I'm starting on Tuesday at the London clinic.

A bit nervous but also very excited!

Kafka Mon 15-Jun-09 08:23:16

Yes me too. I am off to buy mine today from Boots. Smiley are you doing the prescription version, or over the counter?

Work two days a week so until I get the measure of the side effects I will not take on those days. I am hoping to be able to lose on average 1kg a week over a period of 8 weeks.

MrsSeanBean Mon 15-Jun-09 08:37:21

Does it work then? I assumed it was just a gimmick / waste of money...., would entertain the idea if I can be convinced it works.

(Yurtgirl: Alli - weight loss enhancer pills)

Kafka Mon 15-Jun-09 12:07:28

I believe there has been a clinical study that demonstrated an increased weight loss in those that followed a caloried controlled diet. But I have not read it and someone who has may be able to tell you more.

For me I am using it as a motivator and deterrent as I don't wish to suffer the side effects. I hope that it will help keep me off the cakes, sweets and biscuits. I want to lose 10kg.

You can get it from the GP as well as over the counter.

I bought mine from the chemist today and have just had my first dose grin

SmileyMylee Mon 15-Jun-09 19:54:34

Kafka,

We're at cross purposes. I thought you meant Alizonne. I hadn't heard of Alli before.

Good luck with Alli.

Kafka Mon 15-Jun-09 22:55:56

Oh, likewise good luck with Alizone

Kafka Mon 15-Jun-09 22:58:07

Any other mumsnetters doing Alli? Be nice to have some company.

Update, have obeyed the Alli rules and taken the tablets and have suffered no adverse effects - hugely relieved.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 15-Jun-09 23:02:43

Would like to know more please - how much and how much do you buy at once?

Let us know how you get on.

Kafka Mon 15-Jun-09 23:08:45

I bought four weeks supply for fifty pounds, but you can get on prescription from the GP for £7.20.

There are a few threads on here as to how it works.

I just need some help to motivate myself and I am hoping this will give me a 'leg up'.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 15-Jun-09 23:11:41

I need the same thing - will search out threads with the details thanks. I just need to see some result.

MrsSeanBean Tue 16-Jun-09 09:39:56

What are the potential side effects Kafka?
Glad it is going well for you so far.

Kafka Tue 16-Jun-09 20:15:58

google it,I understand they are not pleasant. However I have suffered none. Got to wait and see if it is going to work for me though on the weight loss front.

I was up at 4am for work and am exhausted and need some biscuits but cannot have any sad.

Eaten well though, had salad, sandwiches, strawberries, rice and chilli and cottage cheese today. Plus glass of wine tonight.

sorry for typos wacked out

Kafka Wed 17-Jun-09 20:34:27

Still going, no side effects. The weight loss is slow but at least I am steering clear of cakes, sweets and biscuits. Are you all still lurking?? Anyone going to join me. I go for my weigh in tomorrow and I will report in.

MrsSeanBean Thu 18-Jun-09 18:29:36

Well done for keeping at it - first few days are hard work. Good luck with your weigh in.

Kafka Thu 18-Jun-09 22:30:03

Well I was down on percentage fat but a bit up on weight, but I am not giving up. Mrs SB thanks for the support. I fear that I shall have to give up wine or start running.... What to do!

breeminor Tue 23-Jun-09 19:15:09

Well done Kafka, please keep posting I am interested in Alli but was scared off by the side effects. Good luck next week

sobby Wed 24-Jun-09 14:45:17

Yes I will join you , I started taking them on Monday this week 22nd june

Kafka Wed 24-Jun-09 21:26:13

Feel it is not going as expected. No side effects but no effects at all! Could it be that I avoid fat already and so it will not work for me. I have to up my activity but I am a bit down and do not feel like doing exercise. But it is supposed to work so good luck the rest of you. I dont know what I am going to do.

Kafka Mon 29-Jun-09 20:47:05

Sobby how is it going. I think I may have lost a little bit possibly three pounds since I started. I think it is do with age, the slow weight loss, soooo annoying!

shinyshoes Tue 07-Jul-09 08:30:16

I'm on Xenical (prescrition version) I have lost 17lb in 2 months, BUT I have been terribly bad on it. Having takeaways and other things I shouldn't. The weightloss would have been far greater had I not have cheated.

Doc has given me another lot yesturday
and I'm determined to stick to a lower fat healthier diet.

Good luck ladies

jetcat32 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:48:57

I too am on xenical - but only for the past week. I have lost 8lbs this week, but i do have a fair bit to use blush

From what i was reading on the alli website, if you dont eat enough fat, then the alli or xenical wont work properly. I was really scared of the side effects when i first started them, so was only eating about 2-3g of fat per meal. I have now upped that to about 8-10, and am still losing smile

Good luck to all those taking it grin

PricklyVelvet Wed 08-Jul-09 20:33:47

to get it prescribed do you have to be over a certain weight?

dreamteamgirl Wed 08-Jul-09 23:56:12

To even buy it you have to have a BMI over 28. I would imagine you probably have to have a BMI over 30 or so to qualify for on prescription.

I have started using it to help after I gained 6 lbs back quitting smoking. Dont take it every meal, and I do Slimming World as well
Haven't had any unwated effects really so far. Def much softer and (TMI warning) looser movements, and am back below the weight I was when I quite smoking 8 weeks ago, so I am chuffed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now