Talk

Advanced search

on diet - day eleven - small weight loss - please help me understand why...

(12 Posts)
civilfawlty Thu 11-Jun-09 21:47:56

ok - so my sil is on lighter life, but i cant afford it, so i decided to read the book, and try and think about what i eat, and so on. also i have pcos, and the diet advice is low/no refined carbs. so... here is what i am eating. and - jeans are looser, but defo dont fit the size smaller and, well, i thought i'd see some difference. here is what i am eating:

breakfast - hot water and lemon and fruit

mid morning - fruit and diet coke (i know, but i get soo tired)

lunch - baked salmon and salad

mid afternoon - fruit

evening - gazpacho

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

would really appreciate some words of wisdom please

tia

andirobo Thu 11-Jun-09 21:58:39

too much fruit - it is full of sugar and not good for you. I was told to eat fruit with a small handful of nuts (4 or 5) as the protein in nuts would slow down the sugar being used up.

I also understood that pcos was similar to diabetes (in the use of insulin way) so that too much fruit causes your body to have to make more insulin to process the sugar. Try an oatake or ryvita instead or a stick of celery with soft cheese.

shoofly Thu 11-Jun-09 21:59:19

I think that expecting to go down a jeans size in 11 days is a bit over ambitious. I also don't think you are eating enough - from what you've said above you have one portion protein a day and next to no carbs. - I couldn't sustain that type of diet for more that a few days, it sounds too much like starvation, and your body isn't responding! How much weight have you lost? 3.5lb per week is considered healthy and sustainable, although you often lose more in the first week.

civilfawlty Thu 11-Jun-09 22:12:20

good point re the fruit. will cut it out.

and... no idea how much i've lost - dont have any scales - but was aiming for a collosal loss to kick start it, a la lighter life...

do you think the soup option is a good one?

thanks, btw

theselegswermad Thu 11-Jun-09 22:36:47

I'm the same as you I have PCOS and was advised to cut out the sugar. So i have been doing my own little diet(healthy eating) and have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks.The first week i cut out all wheat which is so difficult.
Looking at what you eat there is to much sugar(fruit) and not enough food being consumed...need more protein

Breakfast - 2 slice wholewheat toast with butter or
Scramble egg

Snack - Fruit or yogurt

Lunch - wholegrain rice with chicken & Veg

Snack - Rice crackers or babybel

Dinner - Salad with dressing chicken or fish

oh and have been exercising 5 times a week
running/walking x3 20mins cycle 10 mins

DVD x2 20mins Jillian(Biggest Loser)

hope this is of some use, I still have 3 st to go, but clothes feel so much losser and baggy !!!

civilfawlty Thu 11-Jun-09 22:46:55

really useful, thank you. will defo limit the fruit.

the exercise is key, isnt it... its tricky though as i cant go out to do it because of childcare. i think the video at home option is the best one. and skipping... was thinking on skipping!

theselegswermad Thu 11-Jun-09 23:46:10

I too have 2 children , so invested in a running machine(wouldnt catch me outside running) and a bike, I tend to do it when they have gone to bed.I must admit I really hate working out but it seems to be doing the trick so will keep on.

Oh and drink plenty of water and well done for getting started that is the hardest part.smile

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 08:43:05

Nooo - dont cut the fruit out please fruit is good for you - it is not bad for you.

Also up your vegtable count and if you aim for 5 fruit and 5 vegtables each day the other food will be in smaller quantities and therefore your food intake will be far healthier and easy to stick to.

Think fruit snack, 5 prunes, 1 apple, pear, banana

Think broc, carrots, french beans and oh I will have a little fish/chicken/ chop with that and a couple of new pots. Or stir fry to get lots of lovely vegtables in.

In fact if you eat breakfast // morning snack // lunch // afternoon snack // supper your body is getting food all through the day and will not have peaks of hunger or blood sugar rushes and lows.

Yes there is sugar in fruit but it is not refined.

A piece of fruit is no more than 110 calories.

Find another snack with a low calorie count that doesn't have refined sugar within in - you will struggle.

andirobo Fri 12-Jun-09 12:56:52

Ivykaty - you are right in saying that fruit is not bad for you, generally most people, but PCOS sufferers have problems with too much sugar, so an alternative would be crudites - ike cucumber sticks, peppers, carrot sticks etc.

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:55:20

www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/glycemic-index.html

andirobo - have a read of this. Bananas, apples are a low GI food and will keep the sugar levels far more balanced - this is what you want.

Something like coke or diet coke has a medium GI and really is not as good as the fruit.

Get ride of the diet coke and have a low GI food instead.

andirobo Fri 12-Jun-09 19:50:23

Bananas and apples may be low GI foods but a banana has 15 to 17g of sugar per 100g and an apple has around 15g of sugar - whether it is natural or refined sugar, the body has to process it the same.

A low sugar diet is around 3g per 100g, so I was suggesting that the OP should cut down on fruit as in her situation it may not be suitable for her. I was suggesting she tried veg sticks instead, which are healthy as well.

I am diabetic and know that fruit, even though all the HCP's suggest eating loads rather than sugary things like cake, etc. but I know that my body cannot process the sugar well.

Carbohydrates are treated the same way in the body as sugar, so your body burns it off, and if cant burn enough off with your general level of exercise then your body has to produce more insulin to get rid of the sugar. So it is logical to reduce the sugar intake so that you are not stressing your body.

All I was suggesting was that the OP may like to consider the alternative option of replacing fruit with something else to aid her weightloss, as it has been an inspiration to me - and is well documented on the internet.

Millarkie Sat 13-Jun-09 16:56:04

I also have PCOS and agree about decreasing the fruit. Bananas in particular have a varying GI depending on how ripe they are, I certainly wouldn't call them low GI.
Would also agree that expecting to go down a jeans size in less than 2 weeks is optimistic (especially so if you have PCOS).
Try to increase your protein (especially breakfast) and decrease the fruit, and be wary of taking the calories so low - you won't be able to keep it up and you may not be getting enough nutrients (Lighterlife is ultra-low calorie but is at least nutritionally balanced).
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now