Talk

Advanced search

Weight watchers (or anyone really) - how did you decide your goal?

(7 Posts)
loler Tue 09-Jun-09 19:54:34

Have been doing WW - have today reached a healthy BMI (first time for about 15 years!). When I joined ww in my head this is the weight I wanted to get to, now I'm there I'm thinking I could just go down a little bit more. Haven't talked about goal with my leader as (sounds silly) didn't realise how close I was - just keep aiming for the next 2lb!

I'm still looking in the mirror seeing a saggy tummy (I know this isn't going to go - and I think it looks worse with lost weight as the fat kept it nicely rounded!) and lumps and bumps - not a thin person.

So tell me - how did you know when you were happy with your weight?

Dorothyredboots Wed 10-Jun-09 12:12:40

I'm doing WW on line. I determined my goal by using a BMI of 22.5 which is the mid point in the 'healthy weight' range. Coincidentally this means I have 10% of my body weight to loose, or about a stone. I'm nearly half way there!

2bayumimum Wed 10-Jun-09 14:56:59

I did it based on something that I was asked many years ago....if you could walk out of a room, and walk in again being your ideal weight, what would that ideal weight be...for me the ideal weight was 10 stone 3lbs. Ive got 6lbs to go.

AMumInScotland Wed 10-Jun-09 15:35:17

Well done on reaching a healthy BMI - that was a good goal to have. I've been losing a bit of weight lately, and that was my first aim. Now, I want to get down to 10st 6, which is about a BMI of 23, and about a stone down from the weight for a BMI of 25. I think it's a goal I can achieve, and if I get my weight down to that I can allow it to vary a little naturally, but still be well within the healthy range. I'm not comfortable with the idea that if I put on just a little, I'll be back above the healthy range again, so I want to be well within it.

Part of me would like to get back to 9st 12 (pre-pregnancy weight) but I think it's probably not realistic as I've aged since then, so I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed by aiming too low then not being able to reach it.

loler Wed 10-Jun-09 15:36:13

mmmm - the 22.5 BMI (which I can see the logic behind) would be 10st - not sure I could maintain that forever - think I was about 15 last time I weighed that much.

I would probably like to be about 10 1/2 stone but prior to have 3 huge dc. I think I'll aim for just above it then - may be 10st 8lb so that I get my meetings free up to 10st 13lb - that's another 7lb - sounds doable!

Thanks for your replies and let me know if you're happy when you get to your goals (will look out in the next couple of weeks grin)

loler Wed 10-Jun-09 15:41:59

Amum - are you 5ft 6? 9st 12lb is tiny!

I'm actually lighter now than I was before pg. I'm probably a lot fitter too - less alcohol and more moving but more aware of my lumps and bumps.

AMumInScotland Wed 10-Jun-09 15:58:51

5ft 7, so 9st 12 would be BMI 21.6 - I was pretty slim, but I'd been 8 st 12 when I married, though that was too thin for me really (but BMI 19.4, so not technically unhealthy). But, that was all a long time ago grin.

You sound like you're not in bad shape - if it's the lumps and bumps that bother you, make sure you're doing some toning exercises as well as losing the weight, as that will pull everything into a neater shape, however much you weigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now