Talk

Advanced search

What's your very best diet tip?

(23 Posts)

I'm after anything that might help me on my way to starting a low calorie diet, tips, meal or snack ideas, things that help curb hunger pangs or snacking urges - nothing's too obvious! tia

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 23:06:16

Stop eating so much
<<tumbleweed>>
Drink loads of water. Seriously, it will make such a difference, make you feel less hungry, and your skin and hair will look amazing.
The thing that has worked best for me is a low carb diet, rather than low calorie

MerlinsBeard Sat 06-Jun-09 23:07:26

eat less (a lot less)
drink more water
exercise more (a lot more)

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:07:30

Drink more water

Cut down carbs - they make one more hungry

Lots of veg and protein not too much fruit

Drink more water

If you take sugar change to splenda and always carry a pack in your bag/pocket

Drink more water

EXERCISE

Oh, and drink more water

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:07:57

har at all these x posts

Imoverhere Sat 06-Jun-09 23:09:44

What has really helped me is writing down every single thing that I eat during the day and really facing how much I have eaten and when and why (I know that's not what you asked in that you wanted to know about food, but it has really really helped me).

smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:11:03

yy imoverhere good plan

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:11:23

Oh, and small plate and cut your portion size

MerlinsBeard Sat 06-Jun-09 23:11:28

food focus is v good

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 06-Jun-09 23:13:18

Eat off a small plate.

Serve yourself, then take some off the plate.

Eat slowly, and chew thoroughly.

Leave some food on your plate at the end, no matter how small.

Oh, and drink more water.

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 23:13:26

BALD have you done the Idiot Proof Diet? Only thing that worked for me, and am trying to get back on the wagon now that ds has cut back on breastfeeds

stubbyfingers Sat 06-Jun-09 23:13:30

only eat when you have ACTUAL hunger pangs.

stop when you are full.

Easier said than done grin

Imoverhere Sat 06-Jun-09 23:14:02

when I say helped me, by way of proof, I have lost 2 stone in 10 weeks (hurrah) only another 4 to go (boo).

Doozle Sat 06-Jun-09 23:15:11

I think you should eat just a little bit less than the average daily calorie allowance, eat say 1800 calories a day for example.

And then up your activity levels as much as you can or go the gym two or three times of week.

This really worked for me. It's not a quick solution, I lost weight slowly. But i never felt deprived or hungry and it seemed like a long term solution that was do-able and easy to stick with.

Even when I was eating 1900 or 2000 calories a day, I still lost weight because of increasing activity.

Also it sounds obvious but eat lots of vegetables with your meals. They have hardly any calories but they do fill you up a lot (and of course are excellent for health too).

Thanks! I would find leaving food on my plate difficult, I always finish my plate even if I'm too full - stupid self-destructive ingrained habit when you think about it.

I like the smaller plate, writing stuff down, more water ideas. The prospect of eating barely any carbs is scary (I'm vegetarian, I eat a lot of far too many carbs)

Exercise is difficult just yet, I'm v heavy and have painful joints which are aggravated by walking etc. I was hoping to losing a stone or two through dieting to ease the pressure off my joints then start to up my activity.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:27:30

littlelamb I made it up myself, having tried all kinds

So I devised my own plan

Tis basically SW red/Atkins without the fat

4 stone off last year, still off now

smile

Doozle Sat 06-Jun-09 23:27:37

I know what you mean about the painful joints. It is amazing how they start to ease up when you lose some weight. Good luck with getting started with all this.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 06-Jun-09 23:28:27

I can see that being veg is not so straightforward when it comes to low carbing

ummm let me think

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 23:34:31

Wow that's brilliant BALD grin
Sounds just liek the IPD. I lost weight so easily on it, but when I was pg with ds the only thing that stopped the nausea was carbs hmm. I am not one of the lucky ones who loses weight when bf, so the weight has stayed on. He's one on Monday and I'm determined to get rid of it all by September (my birthday). I hope it is as easy as it was last time

nomorecake Tue 09-Jun-09 10:16:14

dont miss meals, especially breakfast, but keep it low fat/cal.

i used to hate breakfast, now used to it, and cant go without it.

it took a while, but has started making a difference.

scodgie Wed 10-Jun-09 13:34:32

Take up knitting. That way both your hands are occupied whilst bored or watching TV and you are less likely to snack. Sounds silly but by the time you have finished a few rows the hunger cravings have often passed.

TwoSunnyDays Wed 10-Jun-09 17:29:05

Mountains of roast veg with every meal. Porridge because it take a long time to digest. Finding a buddy so your in it together. If you dont fancy knitting etc try doing your nails, also keeps your fingers off the biscuits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now