Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for a flatter stomach? I am desperate NOT to be mistaken for someone who is pregnant!

(22 Posts)
WideWebWitch Mon 09-May-05 08:23:45

I am on a diet and have lost 1.5 stone but have a way to go. I am desperate about the state of my stomach, any tips for getting it to go down at least enough for people not to think I'm up the duff ? I am giving up booze again from today (drank at the weekend but am doing no booze in the week atm) and will be drinking lots of water and trying no bread this week. Any other tips? Can't face sit ups. TIA, any suggestions appreciated.

hermykne Mon 09-May-05 08:26:19

oh wwww, well done, i was reading about an abdominal exercise u can do whilst cooking or cleaning, whereever, for this reason, but i cant remeber it exactly will try to find it , may take theday, as i thought yeh i could hack that if it got rid of some jelly

foxd Mon 09-May-05 08:36:31

Thats wonderful!!!!.
I certainly dont have a flat stomach and my eldest often asks are we getting another baby and when I ask why he says because I have a big tummy. I generally tell him if im having one then daddy must be having twins. LOL
My stomach has never been the same since having kids.
The only way I know how to get a flat stomach is stomach crunches and its been a while since attempted.

angelp Mon 09-May-05 08:43:02

Sorry, but sit ups really are the best way........ Plus if need to lose bit of weight quickest way is running. Just a little jog every day or two and believe me it falls off

mancmum Mon 09-May-05 08:54:54

think it is very hard to spot reduce but I have found that giving up alll whaet really works and have to say that running is good .... pilates is excellent for working the muscles but no good if there is a layer of fat over them... recommend god posture and magic knickers... all worked for me!!

robin3 Mon 09-May-05 09:14:23

RnB recommended to me the www.coresecrets.com
DVD. It's all core strength training done on a swiss ball and in 20 mins per day you can really make a difference.

I didn't buy it but a friend put together a core strength training programme for me and I've been doing it. Easy to do in front of TV in evening and seems to be making a difference.

Dior Mon 09-May-05 19:30:49

Message withdrawn

Chandra Mon 09-May-05 19:34:06

I had a friend who was a sports therapist and he once told me that the only excersie you can do to get rid of a flabby tummy is running or aerobic exercise. Exercising the muscles doesn't help because the fat deposit lay over the muscles therefore are not affected by abdominal excersice unless of course you are really burning a lot of calories with that excersise. On a personal note, I'm exercising acceptance

Lonelymum Mon 09-May-05 19:34:30

Have you tried magic knickers? I don't know how big your stomach is, but if it is mainly a flab problem, they really do work.

WideWebWitch Mon 09-May-05 19:39:10

Thanks for all these suggestions. Gosh, it seems I need to lose weight AND do sit ups, yuk. You know what, I wore magic knicks out on Sat and about 9pm snuck to the loo and took them off, I couldn't bear the discomfort! So actually, I think I'll cover up until I've lost more weight, it's got to go from round there surely.

motherinferior Mon 09-May-05 19:41:07

Pilates helps.

MarsLady Mon 09-May-05 19:42:02

@ Chandra

BethAndHerBrood Mon 09-May-05 19:43:11

So it's not just me that can't bear concrete knickers!!!!

Saker Mon 09-May-05 19:43:54

It is worth doing sit ups though because they help your posture and to hold your stomach in and when you do lose the weight the benefits will show. I would really recommend getting a video such as "I want those Abs" (I know it's American ) and just doing the 15min of that once or twice a week. You don't have to do as much as you think to show a difference.

kid Mon 09-May-05 19:45:18

YOu really should try exercisng at the same time WWW, if not, the skin will not shrink / tone up and will just hang down after you have lost the weight.

BTW, I don't exercise so can't offer any tips, I just think about exercising one day! I can't even stick to a diet for more than a week either!

BethAndHerBrood Mon 09-May-05 19:47:23

Do sit ups do the same thing as those roly-out-in-front-of-you thingys??!! Does anybody have any idea what i'm on about!!!!!

kid Mon 09-May-05 19:54:51

I know what you are talking about. They feel as if they work but they hurt my back so I couldn't use mine. I threw it out a few weeks ago.

Dior Mon 09-May-05 20:32:59

Message withdrawn

linnywith2 Mon 09-May-05 21:48:29

tummy tuck!
only kiddin, have same prob myself www and i often think it'd be the easiest solution to have tummy tuck, but alas i cant afford one and even if i cud, im a wuss and wud never be brave enough for it..
Excercise is the key to toning up everywhere but do something you enjoy or you'll never stick to it.. Apparently the tummy is the last place to show any loss weight wise.. and im told by all those who know, it will come off eventually
as regards the majic knickers, im with ya on that one..
good luck with it anyway

kama Mon 09-May-05 21:53:33

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Mon 09-May-05 21:58:45

Actually, I bet a while of no/very little booze and wheat makes it go down a LOT. I will report back when I am slimmer generally.

bossykate Mon 09-May-05 22:07:58

good luck and let me know how you get on so i can do it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now