Talk

Advanced search

Start dieting - end up eating practically nothing

(6 Posts)
gabygirl Wed 03-Jun-09 17:09:11

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been dieting for the past three weeks. Don't have a lot to lose - I'm 5 ft 6'' and weighed 10 stone 13, and wanted to get down to 9 stone 5lbs.

I've lost about 9lbs so far and my rate of weight loss doesn't seem to be slowing down. If anything it's speeded up. Although I was constantly having to stop myself putting my hand in my children's crisp packets in the first week, I'm now finding that my appetite has gone, and I'm struggling to eat anything much at all. I know that rapid weight loss isn't a good thing, and I'm feeling knackered, but I'm unwilling to take myself off the diet.

I've only ever dieted once before, about 16 years ago when I lost a couple of stone by just stopping giving myself the same size portions as my partner (who at the time was a 6 foot 3 inch landscape gardener!)

Do you think this loss of appetite could be a side effect of dieting?

catok Wed 03-Jun-09 21:46:06

Yes, your body is going into starvation mode! I bet you don't need much sleep and you feel lethargic too. You should be aiming to lose 2-3 lbs a week and not more.
Have you checked your ideal weight against a body-mass index chart? I'm 5'4 and my ideal weight is 10st 4.
A healthy diet is one you can stay on for life; but you don't need me to tell you that....

gabygirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:37:41

At 10 stone 13 I'm at the very margins of a healthy weight (BMI 25).

I had gestational diabetes during both my last two pregnancies and have been strongly encouraged to do all I can to achieve a BMI which is on the low side of normal as this will reduce my chances of getting type 2 diabetes in later life. I think my BMI will be around 20 ish at 9 stone 5lbs, which is healthier for me.

applepudding Wed 03-Jun-09 22:48:52

People do get used to eating smaller sized meals after a few days when dieting, but what you are describing sounds worrying.

I'd recommend that you just try eating 'healthily' rather than counting calories, e.g. eat fruit instead of crisps, chocolates, and try to do a bit of exercise. This should let you lose a few more pounds but more slowly and keep your energy levels up.

gabygirl Thu 04-Jun-09 09:12:24

I'm not doing any specific diet - just trying to eat less, and eat fewer unhealthy foods. Mornings are ok - I have a bowl of nutty muesli with skimmed milk and an apple mid-morning, but by lunchtime my appetite has gone. Very weird. I'm going to try to eat a small avocado salad and a couple of slices of granary bread for lunch today.

I'm also very tired and stressed by the time it comes around to eat my evening meal, and can't cope with anything other than very small portions. Last night I just finished my 5 year olds pasta off and didn't eat anything else before bed.

It's very odd - normally I eat all day. It's like the less I eat, the less I want to eat.

AMumInScotland Thu 04-Jun-09 09:45:13

Tiredness and stress will certainly affect your appetite. Could you try to eat a bigger breakfast if you struggle to eat later in the day? Or, of course, find a way to reduce the tiredness and stress, but that's easier said than done!

Eating "practically nothing" won't help you lose weight as your body will just slow down to compensate, and it's not sustainable longterm, so I think you need to find a longterm way to eat which will keep your weight steady in the range you've been recommended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now