Talk

Advanced search

breaking the can't cope/ tired/eat cycle help

(233 Posts)
frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 13:09:27

I need ideas on where to start. Know you are a world of knowledge so please pass on the advice.

where to start
how to stick.

Anything.

VelvetCushions Sun 24-May-09 16:52:50

I need help here too!
I have been really lethargic lately and have been having too much sugar to try to cope and end up feeling more tired etc.

I need to give up sugar and start exercising, I think.

Whats your diet like? I think the gi one is good for energy but I am finding it hard to start.

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 17:03:37

I think my diet needs to start with sleep. Am drinking 3 lts coke /day just to function at mo.

Did south beach once and found that it did knock sugar cravings on head nicely but don't like brown bread/full grain/healthy food. Plus expensive and gives you bad wind. GI I think is a more sensible version.

Actually anything other then sugar is pretty vacant from my dit right now and motivation none existant - need to find some but don't know howsad.

Niecie Sun 24-May-09 17:09:01

How much sleep are you getting frustratedmom?

Are you saying your aren't getting enough sleep and it is messing with your appetite and leading you to eat crap.

Or are you saying that you are always tired because of sugar highs and lows?

I am the former and I don't know where to start either.

There is a diet called The Duvet Diet which is based on the idea that lack of sleep makes you fat. I haven't read it properly - my powers of concentration have deserted me!

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 18:07:12

With you on concentration. Suspect both. Ds has sleep disorder 9Sometimes only needing 4 hours/night) and I am prone to patches of insomia (spelling gone to) Definetly lacked sleep over last 4 years, but think sugar makes situation worse and might be stopping me sleep.

Where did you find duvet diet - not heard of that one but sounds interesting.

Niecie Sun 24-May-09 18:45:47

This is the one here

I read about it in a magazine and what I have read makes sense.

I don't think the one reviewer of this book gets it actually. It isn't a recipe book - it is a book about the mechanism involved in sleep loss and weight gain.

I read an article the other day in another magazine about how lack of sleep leads to weight gain. A bunch of women tried to sleep the full 7.5/8 hours a night and they all gained weight.

Sounds like that isn't going to be easy to achieve for you frustrated, not if your DS doesn't sleep well.

Having children definitely messes up your sleep pattern doesn't it? Mine aren't too bad these days (they are 8 and 4) but the damage is done and even if I am in bed I never sleep for more than 6 hours on the trot, never mind 7 or more hours!

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 20:38:08

I see\what you mean about the reviewer. Love the fact that they linked the book with Harry Poter -one for mum one for the kids? grin

Might see if library has before commiting to anything (trying to clear out and have a nothing new in rule until i finish -otherwise would never finish blush)

Definetly sounds interesting though and have beneift of every other weekend to sleep as ds goes to disrupt daddy's sleep grin plus beginning to make some progress in that department (as long as everything is stable)

VelvetCushions Sun 24-May-09 22:19:08

You probably know this already but that coke needs to be binned.
It must be very difficult for you. I have 2 pre-schoolers who are always disturbing my sleep for one reason or another and I find it difficult to cope some days.
I have noticed that I crave sugar like an addict.

I don't know how to give it up.

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 22:25:15

Yep was thinking that when I started on my 5 litre today. Trying to spring clean and not being very successful blush Know that coke is a big part of issue but how do i get the motivation to crawl out of bed when i ditch the coke? Its been a very long year already!

VelvetCushions Sun 24-May-09 22:48:15

You may actually get more quality sleep once you stop the coke, so it could actually be easier to get up.

Have a glass of fruit juice and a coffee in the morning then stick to water.

That coke is really harmful. Its messing you up. The sugar will rot your teeth too, or if you're having diet, the artificial sweeteners could cause loads of health issues.
5 litres is really bad news. You'll save money too when you bin itsmile

zookeeper Sun 24-May-09 22:55:50

I'm really pleased this thread has started - I have really bad sugar cravings - any ideas how to get rid of them?

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 23:03:34

like said b4 found first 2 weeks of south beach actually worked for that. Just lack will power to stick to anything. Have had a LOT of issues to deal with and comfort eating has been my best friend recently blush

Velvetcushions - once spring clean finished this bankhol the coke goes. just check up on me with that -and kick my butt if sliping-I need someone to do that occassionally- i like the taste of coke (actually find it rather addictive) and yep know all about teeth rot and health issues. Should really try harder. And it might explain why i feel so crappy. forgot in my over tired half crazed state!

VelvetCushions Sun 24-May-09 23:03:48

I have no idea. I'm willing to go cold turkey. Anyone else want to try?

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 23:05:36

will join you tuesday. need something to get me through the job that has taken me 6 months so far. Aim to finsh monday. Just make sure some pokes me to remind me to be good grin

VelvetCushions Sun 24-May-09 23:15:56

ok - its a deal. I will cut down tomorrow and start cold turkey on Tues.

I'll be more than happy to kick your butt to help you rid yourself of evil coke addiction smile.
I love the occasional coke myself so can appreciate how hard it must be.
I also have a friend who used to drink 8 cans of coke a day. Her drtold her she would have some serious issues with her bones if she carried on.

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 23:17:57

got that bit covered -take serious calcium suppliements (when remember) are intolerant to milk and osterporis (spelling gone -GOT to kick the coke!) in family.

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 23:18:33

by the way - hope you got a big boot - you might need it. grin!

Niecie Sun 24-May-09 23:39:57

Can I join in with the cold turkey too? I have bad sugar cravings too and have completely lost the taste for 'good' things.

I have just had an email from a friend about a big meet up of friends I haven't seen for a couple of years and frankly I look like crap at the moment. Tired, fat and old. I don't expect miracles in 6 weeks but if I could shift the best part of a stone before then I might feel a bit happier with myself.

It is not helped that one of the group is an ex boyfriend. I can't remember what I ever saw in him, I'm not still carrying a secret torch for him, but I really don't want him to think I have gone to seed either. blush

Besides, a month after that we are going on hols with the PIL and frankly a floor length kaftan would be the only acceptable thing to wear on the beach in my current state and I don't want that. She used to nag me to get DH to lose weight. Now she doesn't bother any more, probably because she know if I can't help myself I can't do much for him either. blush again.

All necessary butt kickings gratefully received.

Oh and make sure I got to bed at a decent time, would you?! grin

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 23:45:47

Welcome aboard. Will recieve all the moral support going and give any can.

Going to need help with the bedtime bit too grin

Velvet - you might need a good supply of boots and a good aim! grin

frustratedmom Mon 25-May-09 00:51:49

Better make that boot giant size. Going to be strong and turn computer OFF now!

VelvetCushions Mon 25-May-09 10:57:50

grin Hope you all got some decent sleep.
Niecie you can easily lose weight and turn yourself around in 6 weeks.
In fact, I think I'm going to think of this as an initial 6 week thing. All these diets keep going on about how you can lose a stone in 6 weeks so lets give it a go.

I managed to have porridge this morning with no sugar and a slice of toast with butter only and no jam/marmalade, which I would normally have. I only had the toast as its still a weekend. Normally, I would just have the porridge or cereal.
A good start so far grin

Who likes rules? shall we have some rules? I usually stick to things better if there are rules grin

VelvetCushions Mon 25-May-09 11:03:33

I just came across this;

The No S Diet

The No S Diet
There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

frustratedmom Mon 25-May-09 11:19:38

Oh sounds good but already broke it -breakfast was the remains of a chocolate bar my excuse if i eat it today it won't be there to tempt me tomorrow! grin

I can't do self imposed rules as ADHD but can do rules imposed on me so that should really help. expescially if your aim is good grin

I really like the sound of the S diet - its simple and if i can exercise some self control in my diet area I might start to get the rest of my life on tract.

Actually looking forward to starting shock

6 weeks to loose a stone - no that would be nice. grin

frustratedmom Mon 25-May-09 11:34:19

Just used their link to a bmi calculator and discovered thankfully only overweight which is surprising considering.

I think for me the biggest thing at the moment is that ds is finally making progress so have less to worry about. Could be a good motivator hmm i think i like excuses to eat blush really need to do this.

Niecie Mon 25-May-09 11:39:25

Good morning!

We really are going for it then!

I like the S Plan - rules are good. I can do rules.

I suppose, if I am going for it and given the size I am, a stone in 6 weeks should be possible. The bigger you are the more you can afford to lose in a week, isn't it. 2 stone by 1st August and holidays with the PIL would be great too!

Keep the boot handy - I have an assignment to complete this week which is always a challenge on the snacking front, and for sleep come to that since I can't work when the boys are around and have to do it in the evening.

Am I really going to do it this time? I have joined this type of thread before and not kept it going. Anybody got any spare motivation to make this time the one that works?

It is quite exciting isn't it?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now