Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone get up ridiculously early and go for a run?

(16 Posts)
swiperfox Tue 05-Apr-05 10:02:53

I have come to realise that the only time I can actually get any exercise in without being disturbed is before anyone else is up!!

That would mean getting up at about 6 to go for a walk/jog

Anyone else do it this way?

hunkermunker Tue 05-Apr-05 10:07:11

I think (though could be wrong) that Gobbledigook gets up at sparrows to go for a swim.

hannahsaunt Tue 05-Apr-05 10:50:15

Try it and see! Didn't work with running for me - made me vomit. Real issue was not being able to run with no calorie intake (hence vomiting) and couldn't get up even earlier to eat, let it digest, then run still in sufficient time to get everyone up and out for the day. Others love it then though.

Potty1 Tue 05-Apr-05 11:24:34

I run in the mornings - not really early but I find it easier than the evening.

Spring mornings are a real motivation - give it a go swiper.

hazlinh Wed 06-Apr-05 07:57:44

dh wakes up at about 7 for a run or a swim. seems to suit him fine . but its definitely not for me!! lol

Fio2 Wed 06-Apr-05 08:00:35

I usually walk dogs before nine when kids are off out

couldnt run though it would kill me

pepsi Wed 06-Apr-05 08:02:18

My best pal in Canada has two boys, they are now 7 and 5 but for a few years when her husband worked shifts she would go when he came in from work at about 4.30. She would get up 5, go for run, shower and then go back to bed and wait for her boys to get up at about 6.30. How? I asked the same.

loujay Wed 06-Apr-05 08:05:36

Hi,
I am training for the moonwalk and am up twice during the week at 6 for a walk (its the only time I can fit it in, DP works miles away and isnt back before 8pm)
It is hard but to be honest I love the fact that I am up, washed and dressed before DD wakes up.

sinclair Wed 06-Apr-05 17:35:52

Swiper this is exactly what I do! About a year ago I worked out that the only way I was going to get any free time in my schedule was to make some - I get up at 6.30 twice a week and then on Sundays when it is my turn for a lie-in (yeah, I actully get a turn every 7th day isn't that fantastic!) I get up at 7 or whatever, and run for 30/40 minutes, whilst DH, D and S slumber on. I am slow and sluggish, but for me it works as I am literally barely conscious when I set off so no time to talk myself out of it and then it is done and I can eat a huge breakfast! I recently got a bit more serious and ran a 5km fun run (easy) and a 10km race (really really hard) so whilst I have discovered I am not going to win any medals and am not a natural it is a quick way to get the 30 mins 3 times a week, cheaper than a gym to boot, plus you are in the open air which seems to work. TBH it is only in the very depths of winter when you are running in the dark that it is really grim - on a sunny morning you can't beat it.

There is a huge thread on here called runners support I think - you'll find a lot more advice and inspiration on there. good luck!

swiperfox Sun 10-Apr-05 11:51:32

I have done it the last two mornings and its actually really really nice and refreshing. I dont dare run yet lol but i do do a fast walk. I love the fact that i get an hour to go out by myself and get ready for the day ahead before the others are even up!!

pragmatist Mon 11-Apr-05 08:36:41

I could run early in the morning in that physical exercise on an empty stomach doesn't bother me - but foregoing a precious hour of sleep would not be on.

Arabica Mon 11-Apr-05 18:56:01

Hi, I'm also training for the moonwalk (hello loujay!) and go walking whenever I can have a child-free/work-free hour, which can be at any time of day depending what DH's schedule is like. Can honestly say the 6.30am walks have been the best--getting out of bed is torture but you feel so good when you're strolling back home, exercise done, and it's still only breakfast time.

frogs Mon 11-Apr-05 18:59:26

dd1 (9) and I are doing 5k Run for Life on Hampstead Heath at the beginning of June, and have just started a training plan that calls for us to run every other day. Early mormings are going to be the only time we can manage it.

Tomorrow is going to be the first day -- will report back!

Potty1 Mon 11-Apr-05 19:05:03

Frogs - loads of Race for Life runners here , if you need encouragement.

swiperfox Mon 11-Apr-05 19:08:38

whats the moonwalk?

Arabica Tue 12-Apr-05 17:19:02

Moonwalk is a marathon/half-marathon power-walk in aid of breast cancer research. It's mainly for women, most of whom wear a Wonderbra. London event all full but check out their other walks here
Frogs, are you running in our local park??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now