Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else trying to lose weight sensibly while BFing?

(8 Posts)
SamJohnsMum Mon 12-Jan-09 14:30:10

I was going to wait until I'd stopped BFing, which I thought I'd do at 6mo but DS is now 7mo and won't go near a bottle so we're still going strong.

However, I'm still 2 stone heavier than I was before I fell pregnant and my best friend is getting married in July so I need to do something!! I know I probably won't be able to lose it all while BFing and that my main priority is making sure DS gets good milk, but there must be something I can do.

My plan is thus:

1. Aim to eat 1800 calories a day (def not less and hopefully no more) - 5 a day, plenty of calcium etc

2. Go for a walk with DS in buggy every day, if poss.

3. Start doing small sections of Rosemary Conley either when DS is napping or to amuse him.

Anyone else trying to do similar??

SamJohnsMum Mon 12-Jan-09 14:30:59

By Rosemary Conley, I obviously mean one of her exercise videos.

cornedbeefpasty Mon 12-Jan-09 14:33:51

i did weight watchers for about 8 months whilst bf....i lost nearly 3 stone, and have stayed there for about 18 months now. [proud!] it really did change me for all the right reasons!

with ww, you get extra points to cope with the hunger that bf brings, and whilst its not rocket science..more about portion control, sensible eating etc, the focus on the weekly weigh in really kept me going.

hth. good luck!!

tumpymother Mon 12-Jan-09 14:38:16

My DS is nearly 1 and I am still feeding and still a stone heavier than when I got PG. I am thinking about starting to TTC again so really need to lose that stone (well that stone and more TBH). I have just started keeping a food diary which helps me to not eat crap ! I also listen to the Glenn Harrold CD every night - its a lose weight one and that has helped me stop craving sweet stuff. I am wondering about how to increase my exercise as well......
Good luck

NimChimpsky Mon 12-Jan-09 14:39:53

I just exercised 3/4 times a week and ate sensibly (which I do anyway) and lost 2 stone. Walking with the pushchair is very good and your dc will be giving you the runaround soon which will help enormously.

chainstitch Tue 17-Feb-09 21:00:29

ds is now 7.5. so not quite current situation. smile
i ate sensibly. three proper meals. no desserts or sweets of any sort. no fried foods. and never 'stuffed my face' i also walked a lot. and i mean a lot. i had no car, and access to public transport was limited.
by the time he was 11 weeks old,i had lost all my pregnancy weight. by the time he was 11 months old, i had lost a further two stone.

of course on his first birthday i was also six weeks pregnant. blush and even though i tried to do the same thing with subsequent child, it was impossible. she was four before i went on a the atkins and lost two stone.

soon2befamilyof4 Tue 17-Feb-09 23:29:08

You can do slimming world while breastfeeding and it is healthy eating so will be good for your milk too!

gillythekid Thu 26-Feb-09 20:24:23

Oh SamJohnsMum, this is exactly the situation I'm in! I too gave birth in July having managed to gain a whopping 4 stone whilst pregnant. I still have just over 2 stone to go before I fit into any of my lovely clothes and can finally cast aside my limited Primark inspired wardrobe! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now