Talk

Advanced search

Fitness DVD's. What's good? do they work?

(27 Posts)
Dragonbrandybutter Thu 01-Jan-09 20:13:03

No money for a gym membership.
Fancy jumping around my living room to some banging tunes.

Something energetic.
Most seem to be 'club' workouts which is fine, but would prefer something hip hop.

Any ideas?

SnowOfHands Thu 01-Jan-09 20:15:48

Can't suggest hip hop I'm afraid but Davina McCall's are very, very good. Nell McAndrew also very good, but more aerobic intensity.

IllegallyBrunette Thu 01-Jan-09 20:19:32

I read a review of some the other day and the Mel B one came out top i think. Hang on will see if i can find it.

IllegallyBrunette Thu 01-Jan-09 20:21:36

There you go

Dragonbrandybutter Thu 01-Jan-09 20:27:41

thanks. mel b looks like it could be good.
no mention of the type of music though.
also what is the music like on davina's one?

can't stand nell mcandrew although have never watch her videos.

Yurtgirl Thu 01-Jan-09 20:27:56

This is just what I need Dragon! Thankyou

I was planning to sign up to closer diets or similar today.... There is some ice cream in the freezer distracting me though

Dragonbrandybutter Thu 01-Jan-09 20:30:13

yes, we haven't quite polished off the xmas chocs yet, but when we do, i'll be ready with my leg warmers on.

Dragonbrandybutter Thu 01-Jan-09 20:34:34

i'll be back in a bit

SnowOfHands Thu 01-Jan-09 20:35:12

The DM one reviewed on that link is her most recent one and better if you've been working out for a while. Her other three are a better starting point. The music's varied, lots of stuff. Fatboy Slim to Gwen Stefani, Take That to er other stuff. Not my taste but the music fits the workout and I don't 'hear it' iyswim.

Nell McAndrew doesn't lead her workout. It's the class she attends run by the bloke that does it. She's just there doing the class with other people. She doesn't talk or anything. grin

Yurtgirl Thu 01-Jan-09 20:38:02

Christmas goodies must be finished off first

Dragonbrandybutter Thu 01-Jan-09 20:40:20

ah, well if she promises to keep her gob shut it might be ok.

tistheCEEBEEtobejolly Thu 01-Jan-09 20:44:20

I have one of Nell McAndrews and it is quite high intensity (basically an hourish of jogging on the spot doing different things with your arms - with some squats etc in between as a breather) - not very varied or interesting but good exercise - I think it is aimed more at regular exercisers rather than beginners as there are no low-options( other than marching rather than jogging)

Not that keen on Davina McCall's - she annoys the hell out of me and I found it quite rubbish tbh.

The ones I enjoy the most are the 'dance' ones - so I have Rosemary Conleys Salsacise which is fab, and I have also bought (although not done yet) Strictly Come Dancing ones as I think dancing is one of the best forms of exercise and I also think I will enjoy doing them more than the 'traditional' DVD's.

Ooh have gone on there but I am a bit of a exercise DVD obsessive - particularly as I can't get to the gym as much as I would like at the moment.

tistheCEEBEEtobejolly Thu 01-Jan-09 20:45:55

Sorry meant to add that the 'Pump It Up' ones are good - good dancy music and quite high intensity. I have the first one which is done by the people from the Valerie video (you know the one set in the gym with lots of hip-thrusting grin). It definitely gets you sweaty and out of breath.

Dragonbrandybutter Sat 03-Jan-09 23:46:26

I've just ordered davina's latest offering.
The reviews seemed good.

still wondering about the 'pump it up' ones but didn't like all the silver hot pants etc

tessieb Sun 04-Jan-09 19:48:03

I went to the library yesterday and found out that I could borrow fitness dvds for 3 weeks at a time for FREE! They have a good selection, so I thought I'd try out different ones to see which I prefer. Also will stop me getting bored with doing the same one all the time.

Could be worth checking out your local libraries to see if they do the same.

Dragonbrandybutter Sun 04-Jan-09 21:54:26

good idea. i'll take a look this week.

Dominique07 Sun 04-Jan-09 21:56:08

Yay - I have to look at these library fitness DVDs... how much weight are U trying to lose?

Dragonbrandybutter Sun 04-Jan-09 22:05:21

i really just want to have more energy, be more active and tone up round the middle.
If i lose weight that would be a bonus.

tessieb Mon 05-Jan-09 09:25:52

I want to lose 2.5 to 3 stone! The weight has crept on over the last year or so, and I've eaten far too much chocolate etc over Christmas! I feel so much better when I am within my normal BMI range!

How much does everyone else want to lose, or or you just wanting to get fit and toned?

kando Mon 05-Jan-09 10:49:08

What a brilliant idea about the library dvds - I'm off to check it out this afternoon when dd3 is at pre-school. Great suggestion!

geordieminx Mon 05-Jan-09 10:53:25

I bought last years pump it up one... did it-for 10 minutes once!

I would say I have a reasonable level of fitness but it was so complicated!! No explaining, no slowly building up - just straight into it!

oxocube Mon 05-Jan-09 11:00:56

I have an older one of Davina's which is good and quite hard work but she irritated me so much with her inane prattle. Also not too keen on most of her music choices.

Ewe Mon 05-Jan-09 11:08:53

I have the Davina DVD and really enjoyed it when I did it last night, feel a bit sore today so obviously worked hard enough!

She doesn't speak much and you can make it as tough as you like.

tessieb Mon 05-Jan-09 12:23:59

Ewe - I did the Davina boxercise yesterday and my legs are aching today, so must be working!

Oxocube - I'm sure you can choose just to have the music and not listen to Davina chatting. Not tried this yet myself as I'm new to this DVD and need to listen to the instructions.

Ewe Mon 05-Jan-09 12:38:40

Maybe she talks more on the older ones but she barely does more than counting in on her most recent boxercise one. She does pull some funny faces though!

Does anyone else feel a bit of an idiot doing it in front of DP/DH?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now