Talk

Advanced search

Starting off regular jogging/running

(32 Posts)
dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 15:31:04

Help needed, please. The clock going forward has inspired me! Really want to become the sort of person who loves to go for a 30-minute run! Am fed up with swimming and running would fit into my life easily (ie half an hour when kids are in bed). So, if anyone couold enlighten me as to how I start off - how long/how often etc. I'd be v grateful! Thanks!

expatinscotland Fri 25-Mar-05 16:02:42

I was already quite fit when I started. I began with 5 min. run/5 min. walk intervals for 30 mins. total and worked up to 45 min. runs by decreasing walk minutes with each workout (shaved off one minute/week). I had to step up the weight training, however, as I have had 4 knee surgeries in the past and need built up leg muscles to support the joints whilst running. I also never ran on concrete. There was a park nearby that offered a gravel footpath.

I ran for 45 mins. 3x/week. I didn't stretch beforehand, but always began my run w/a 5 min., fast-paced walk to warm up and ended the run w/another 5 min. walk to cool down. I used to practice yoga 3 times/week as well and it helped keep my flexible.

I haven't found a/thing like it here, so I now stick to cardio machines at the gym and Pilates.

But it is FAB for cardio and weight loss.

Happy running!

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 16:49:45

Dinny - have a look at the Race for Life website (sorry haven't time to do the link) . There's a training programme for absolute beginners that can get you up and running for 30 mins in 6-8 weeks - you could sign up for the Race whilst you're there to give you something to aim at .

There's a runners support group thread in 'Health'. Some are up to marathon standard, but some (like me) are running for 30 mins 3X a week. Come join us!

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 20:39:29

ooh, thanks. Potty, will check put that website and come and join the thread.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 20:40:07

ps do you ever get over the feeling that youare about to expire for the first 10 minutes?

expatinscotland Fri 25-Mar-05 20:47:27

Dinny
I have been exercising cardiovascularly for years. I stop pushing when it's too difficult to hold a conversation at the same time. That's just what works for me, however.

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 21:34:44

Dinny - the first 10-15 mins are the worst even the mumsnetters who are running marathons will tell you that. Try to keep in mind that it will get better ( I have to chant it over and over ). Also i find it easier if I run with someone else - if I can still speak, well grunt, I know I'm not going too fast, I find it hard to pace myself if I run alone.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 21:39:16

Potty, thanks I live opposite a small common. Was thinking of three laps to start with (about 3k, dh reckons). Do you listen to music while running?

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 21:49:47

Sounds fine Dinny - my first run was about a mile and I didn't even get to the bottom of the street before I had to stop and walk. Dh ran with me but he's too fast and when I got back I had to lie on the floor for about 20 minutes, I honestly thought I was going to die!

I don't run with music - can't keep the earphones in! Good luck, let us know how you get on!

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 21:54:25

and do you actually enjoy it now, Potty?

ps boobs are still bigger than normal from bfing - will I damage them????!!!

colditzmum Fri 25-Mar-05 21:56:53

Ooo I've been thinking aqbout this for ages! Does anyone know where I can get a 38E sports bra from, as I've never seen one and really would need one!

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 21:57:46

And I need a 36DD one (ha ha ha ha! huge bazookas!)

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 21:59:53

I do enjoy it - I miss it when the weather is too bad to get out and its the only thing that keeps my cellulite in check. Its also made my PMT much better, my AF less heavy and painful, all good really although I've got a bit of an achilles strain at the moment.

If you get into it, you need a decent bra ( and I've got no boobs) and proper running shoes especially if you'll be running on the roads.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 22:03:07

tell me your running schedule again, Potty...

ionesmum Fri 25-Mar-05 22:04:19

I fancy taking up running too (cross country was the only thing I could do at school) but am not very fit. Should I get fit first? Also am still breastfeeding, should I wait until dd2 is weaned?

(Sorry to crash on your thread, Dinny! )

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 22:05:49

no worries, Ionesmum. I really feel the need to start now - want to feed ds for as long as he wants. can't wait till then to get this lard off.

ionesmum Fri 25-Mar-05 22:08:35

I know what you mean, plus it's getting out of the house which for me would be a big thing atm. And I want to be fit for the dds, I don't want them having a fat wheezy knacker picking them up from school!

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 22:12:53

Monday is track night sounds a bit much but my son has footie training so I make use of it. Usually do a 1 mile power walk then sprints/recovery for about 20 mins.

Tuesday 5k along the canal so its flat.

Wed -rest

Thurs 5k hilly up and down

Fri - rest

Sat or Sun a longer run but not more than about 50 minutes.

I've been doing this for about 6 years now give or take a few short breaks. I usually run in my local Race for Life and I did the Flora Light in Birmingham last year. I don't compete as such but just enter as motivation really. As you said its good because you can fit it into just half an hour and its free!

The Race for Life training programme is really good - starts you off with run/walk sessions and works up to a 5k in 30 mins.

Potty1 Fri 25-Mar-05 22:14:23

Ionesmum - I hated cross country at school - used to hide under a bridge and tag on the end when they came back.

dinny Sat 26-Mar-05 17:07:55

how fast do you run when starting off?

tigi Sat 26-Mar-05 17:28:01

i followed the race for life plan, run min, walk min, and was knackered! it took a long while to get up to a 25 min constant run, all of a sudden you don't need to stop, it was great. I would say i am not a natural runner and it was hard work to get to that point, and my breathing sounded like i was having an athma attack, but if you concentrate on breaths in and out it does regulate. i lost a lot of weight from bums hips and bust! But now i have a broken leg, and have done nothing since jan, and twice as fat as i was! as far as how fast to run, they say to start off, and however fast you are going, slow it more, your breathing will be easier, and you will go longer! have a good drink before you go, the thirst gets you first!

dinny Sat 26-Mar-05 20:33:43

do you have to send off for the Race For Life plan?

Potty1 Sat 26-Mar-05 20:54:57

Dinny - there's a free download at the bottom of this page. You have to pay for the ones at the top. You can also have a look at the Runners World website.

Try not to run too fast when you start off - you shouldn't be too out of breath that you can't speak. Like tigi says make sure you drink plenty and don't run on an empty stomach (although some people do prefer it) or too soon after a meal. If I run in a morning I usually go about an hour after my breakfast, in an evening go before your meal.

Soothepoo Sat 26-Mar-05 20:57:15

this site is very good for sports bras. I am a 34DD or E and have the Panache bra and the Enell bra . IMO the Panache bra looks better, but the Enell supports better, but just looks a bit like old ladies corsets (there are loads of hooks and eyes to do up at the front).

tigi Sat 26-Mar-05 21:01:50

i could never run on empty stomach- knackered before i got anywhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now