Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am fed up of being fat

(19 Posts)
Greatfun Sun 05-Oct-08 21:29:46

I am feeling most sad for myself and need to get a grip. I need to lose 2 stone but just cant seem to do it. I have just tried the India Knight diet which I stopped because I was so sick of eating meat and eggs and really didnt think it could be that healthy. I ahve tried calorie counting, WW, SW. May ahve losta few pounds on eahc but nothing lasting. I want to be slim and feel such a failure for yet again not doing it. I dont know what I a expecting from typing this but it somehow makes me feel better. There were some aspects of the Idiot proof diet that I likes such as eating wholesome food rather than junk which I want to keep up. Have not had carbs tonight as I felt noticeably less bloated after eating. Have decided to try to just have 3 meals a day: weetabix for breakfast (could not face another piece of bacon), sandwich or salad for lunch and fish and veg for dinner. Fruit or a handful of nuts when hungry. No choc, alcohol, etc . All sounds great except that I say it ecery time and then blow it by eating a piece of cake. Have any of you ever relaly cracked this weight thing? Help!

Greatfun Sun 05-Oct-08 21:30:47

Excuse typos. That is terrible!blush

OmegaMummy Sun 05-Oct-08 21:38:10

I did india knght and came off big time so back onto it tomrrow - i stuck it out hard core for four months and it was amazing- lost 3 stone - now put back a stone over the past two months but to be fair have been kicking the ass out of it with naughty food. Looking forward to feeling better again once I kick the carbs.

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 21:38:31

what do you usually eat? sometimes its best not to 'go on a diet' because that means making rules about your eating that you have to follow. try this, make sure that every time you eat something, its food that is healthful - fruits instead of sweets and cakes, muesli or cereal instead of toast or croissant, tuna salad instead of bacon sandwich, etc etc etc.

second, make sure when you drink something its healthful - water or watered down juice instead of colas and sodas. coffee without the cream and sugar, tea with honey rather than sugar.

for starters, i think that does not require a lot of thought or rules, and you should at least feel a lot better and energized if not also see results

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 21:38:33

what do you usually eat? sometimes its best not to 'go on a diet' because that means making rules about your eating that you have to follow. try this, make sure that every time you eat something, its food that is healthful - fruits instead of sweets and cakes, muesli or cereal instead of toast or croissant, tuna salad instead of bacon sandwich, etc etc etc.

second, make sure when you drink something its healthful - water or watered down juice instead of colas and sodas. coffee without the cream and sugar, tea with honey rather than sugar.

for starters, i think that does not require a lot of thought or rules, and you should at least feel a lot better and energized if not also see results

Lastyearsmodel Sun 05-Oct-08 21:38:56

I've just read <whispers> Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin and although I am a sceptic at heart it makes a lot of sense. I've lost about 9lbs over a couple of months and it's reduced my stress levels around food, something that I thought could never be done. Y'know, what have I eaten? What can I eat later? What shouldn't I eat? etc etc. Loads of other threads on MN if you search that can give you more details, but just thought I'd let you know it's helped me, fwiw. Got about another 2.5 stone to go...

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 21:39:17

i try not to go on any diets, its too much work!! i get too fussed and end up rebelling against them!

stayinbed Sun 05-Oct-08 21:39:56

what does mckenna say in his book, in top highlights?

Greatfun Sun 05-Oct-08 21:42:10

Thanks all. I have had a look around the threads and want to find out about low GI foods.

Lastyearsmodel Sun 05-Oct-08 21:49:16

<Look into my eyes...>
1. Eat when you're hungry (lots of stuff about how to tell actual hunger from emotional hunger)
2. Eat exactly what you want (surprisingly tough after years of 'no really, this Ryvita is so tasty')
3. Eat consciously (ie slowly and enjoy every mouthful)
4. Stop when you're full (again, lots on how to tell).
Effectively, it feels to me like a sustainable way of eating rather than a diet. Feel like I've got a healthier attitude to food than ever before and a good way to pass on healthy habits to DCs.
I mean, I still have to try hard sometimes to follow 'the rules' but they just make so much sense. Stopping now as sound like evangelical loon.

AuntieMaggie Sun 05-Oct-08 21:49:20

I'm in a similar situation as you greatfun, though I have about 5 stone to lose after putting on about 4 stone in the past 2 years.

I eat bady without thinking when I'm stressed etc and only realise what I've done after - it's like I'm on autopilot.

I've had a lot happen over the past 2 years, health and emotional wise, and people tell me to give myself a break but it's hard.

Keep promising myself every monday that I'll start being good but something always seems to happen to break it.

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 05-Oct-08 21:53:26

I'm fat and fed up too. I lost around 2 stones before I got pregnant, which was unplanned and scuppered everything!

Now I reckon I'm 4-5 stones overweight. If I could lose 3 I would be delighted.

Liking the McKenna thing - think I'll go scan Amazon maybe.

Sympathies, Greatfun

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 05-Oct-08 21:54:03

I'm fat and fed up too. I lost around 2 stones before I got pregnant, which was unplanned and scuppered everything!

Now I reckon I'm 4-5 stones overweight. If I could lose 3 I would be delighted.

Liking the McKenna thing - think I'll go scan Amazon maybe.

Sympathies, Greatfun

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 05-Oct-08 21:54:49

For emphasis blush

fedda Sun 05-Oct-08 22:37:17

Can I join you? i'm good at loosing weight but I'm good at gaining it as well.

Columbo Tue 07-Oct-08 13:41:17

There is an active thread here - started for exactly the reason you describe after I posted pretty much the same as you. I'm fed up with being fat, could do with losing 2 stone, did India Knights diet from May but wasn't able to stick to it, felt yucky and never got the energy breakthrough that was talked about. Just want to get back to normal and not be dominated by my eating/fatness.

Paul McKenna is good and works but you do have to put some effort in.

Gillian Rileys How to Overcome Overeating is excellent - best book there is, helps you address the psychological reliance on food.

The thread is supportive and full of like minded people, the plan is to slowly take control of our eating and exercise habits and under cover of winter and darkness, get ready to emerge in spring hopefully lighter and a lot happier about ourselves.

Join us!

<sings: Come with me, everything is good here nothing before was real> explanation

earthpixie Tue 14-Oct-08 13:31:53

Stop going on diets, it's been shown over and over beyond doubt that they don't work and make you gain weight. And who the hell wants to be constantly worried about points or whether it's a green day or whatever?

mellyonion Tue 14-Oct-08 13:41:41

the weight watchers motto "make wise food choices" makes real sense i think....
swap high calorie versions of things for lower ones...ie a ham sandwich instead of a cheese one, quavers instead of thicker potato crisps, diet drinks instead of sugar laden ones.....

eat healthily when you feel able...bulk up meals with veg, eat treat size choccie bars instead of the big ones...

drink plenty of liquid..water, squash, fruit teas etc when you're fancying eating (and not hungry iykwim?)

weight is not everything...it is all about how you feel inside....

get a great haircut, buy a new something to wear which you feel nice in...be kind to yourself.

good luck. x

whispywhisp Tue 14-Oct-08 13:50:30

I lost 9 stone about 15yrs ago. I did it through eating the most natural diet possible...anything that hadn't been processed/added to...ie fruit and veg, poultry, fish, meat etc. Yes it took a long time to lose (18mths actually) but I did it and I felt absolutely great.

I still watch what I eat now. My worst time is the evenings when the kids have gone to bed. I just make sure the fruit bowl is full and that I have plenty of nuts and raisins in the pot!

I don't follow a diet. Never have done. I find diets boring and very hard to stick to especially when I'm stressed out or tired because that's when I'd eat biscuits, cakes etc.

I've also recently cut out caffeine from my diet...I did that slowly too and I feel much better for it. I drink decaff tea and coffee...less headaches and more energy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now