Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP!!! I cannot get motivated to lose weight!

(19 Posts)
NumberFour Sun 21-Sep-08 22:30:58

I have been putting on weight steadily each year for the past 10 years or so and now I am a hefty 3.5 stones overweight. I am only 5'3" so you can see that 13st8lb for me is way way way too much. I am a size 20. Hoo boy...

I manage to stick to some kind of diet or other for a couple of days, maybe a week and then all hell breaks loose! At the moment, despite knowing that you have to take in fewer calories than you expend in order to lose weight, I feel as if I have no idea where to start.

So, how do I get motivated to stop stuffing my face and start taking care of myself?? I have seen holiday pics of myself that are disgusting to say the least.

Help! No idea where to start.

Anyone fancy giving me a kick up the overly amplesized arse?

Fimbles5 Mon 22-Sep-08 07:51:03

Bless your heart smile - Don't be so hard on yourself. I am not going to kick you up the butt!! You have taken the first step by admitting that you would like to lose weight. I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, and you sound very much like me (I am the yo-yo dieter everyone talks about), I can diet for up to a week and then I binge eat for days. I do find that the threads on here help, at least if I am typing messages of support, I am not in the biscuit tin. I am not being much help, but all I can suggest is set yourself small achievable goals (say 7lbs by end of October) and try to stick to it. Either join weightwatchers, or if like me you eat way to much of the bad stuff, replace this with loads of water and try to eat more healthily. Good Luck and keep posting. I will try to support you where I can. X

bruhaha Mon 22-Sep-08 07:59:42

It's really difficult to lose weight. I managed to lose 2.5 stone a couple of years ago but that was before getting married and having a baby. I'm 5ft 2 and weight 14.6 stone - bloody hell the heaviest i have ever weighed. Since having my ds last year i can;t shift it. We can motivate each other although i don't get on here everyday!

i'm in exactly the same boat - started to try and lose weight about 2 weeks ago and weighed myself this morning and put on 1.5lbs! Looking at the weightwatchers site again and thinking of going back. I tried it a couple of months ago but as i was still breastfeeding i was still hungry all the time. I've not cut the bf down to 1 in the morning. Checked my bmi and it's 37!!!!

Fimbles made a good point to set small goals and don't say i wand to lose 2 stone by xmas cos that's a lot - but 7lbs by end of next month is achievable.

eleanorsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 08:02:11

hi no4
you sound so much like me! i too weigh 13.7 stone and am 5foot2 tall. i have good time where i feel great about my self and love my clothes etc but others when i just wish i was a size 14 and could buy whatever i want from wherever i want.
i worry that i'm not a good role model for dd and that she'll get teased at school.
i've tried most diets going but am currently consider the cambridge diet (meal replacement drinks) just to get down to a sensible size and then i hope i'll be so pleased with myself i won't have the wobbles which cause me to eat crud. if i am honest with my self i think i get depressed (long story of family trouble and trying to conceive dc 2 miscarriage and heartbreak) and when i'm low i eat just what i like.

so what can we do together? where are you? maybe we could kick each other up the butt! i think you're a cm too like me so maybe we can support each other in other ways too.

ThePenguinProject Mon 22-Sep-08 19:22:42

Can I join you guys? I sound so like you. I am 5 foot 3 inches and 13st 4lb. I eat almost nothing or do a fad diet for a week or two, then binge....and it's getting to the point where I don't even enjoy the binges anymore.

I went shopping for clothes yesterday and it was so depressing. (DH even suggested in a nice way that I buy some maternity clothes shock cos I'm still in a lot of them - DS is 3 months). I came home with no clothes but lots of determination.

eleanorsmum - I did Lighter Life about 2 years ago and went from 12st 3lb to 9st. LL is the same as the Cambridge diet with 'counselling'. It didn't address my food issues tho so by this time last year I was 11 stone again (then I got pregnant).

I'm breastfeeding so I think for now, just losing something, even if it's just a lb a week would be good. Also no starving or binging...!

ComeOVeneer Mon 22-Sep-08 19:25:45

How is this for a (well meant) kcik up the arse. DH is overweight, but not terribly (needs to shed about a stone max). Because of this (not soley but a big contributing factor) he has as of this morning been diagnosed with diabetes. Major shock and life changing development.

Best of luck to all of you embarking on a weight loss programme.

ThePenguinProject Mon 22-Sep-08 22:10:31

Forgot to say that my plan is:
- Join gym this week and go 3 times a week.
- Eat 6 times a day (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner plus 3 snacks of fruit).
- Eat at least 5 fruit & veg a day.
Good luck everyone!

NumberFour Tue 23-Sep-08 07:08:27

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas and support! Feels like I am not alone. When I am standing IN THE KITCHEN eating my fourth or fifth slice of buttered toast, I feel awful and alone and stupid and like pig.

But yesterday was lots better (I read some posts but was very busy, yes, Eleanorsmum, childminding!!) In fact it is just after 7 and my first child has arrived and second arrives soon.

Will post more late. SEcond child has arrived and my 4 year old has woken too early.

HAND ME THE CHOCOLATE!!!

niceglasses Tue 23-Sep-08 07:27:42

Oh me too. I'm edging on 11st and only 5ft 5 so would love to loose 1 and half to 2 stone, but really at the mo half a stone would be fab.

I've done it in the past but at the moment there is so much else going on in my life I can not find the time or energy or motivation to concentrate on it - all my energy is used up elsewhere.

Baby steps would help. I need to cut out the crap and stop drinking (just one or 2 glasses) of wine most nights.

fedda Tue 23-Sep-08 08:00:10

please, come and join us on www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1378/377428

NumberFour Tue 23-Sep-08 10:06:37

Niceglasses, I also feel that all my energy is being taken up elsewhere. For ages my childminding was trudling along but I was barely keeping head above water financially. Now that it's better, I am really really busy with hardly time to think. (Now that fact that I have time to go on Mumsnet does not fall into the equation. It is part of my keeping sane routine as opposed to any other routine I have!)

Fedda, I'm off to check out your link.....

NumberFour Tue 23-Sep-08 10:11:00

ComeOVeneer, my dad has adult onset diabetes, my FIL died from diabetes related heart attack, my 3 sisters are grossly obese, my feet have gone up a half size since I put on weight and my feet crack on the heels like never before. My head knows the implications and that is what makes me so cross with myself for letting myself go so badly. And Eleanorsmums, i feel the same about my DS - I know I am a bad example. The poor thing has a fat mum and a fat dad. How awful is that!

okay, off to Fedda's thread.

jesuswhatnext Tue 23-Sep-08 10:32:26

hello all, please can i join in? i'm 45, 5.2 and a size 16 - i have no idea what i weigh, dh threw my last set of scales out as i was becoming obsessed with what i was eating, he saw me weigh myself after drinking a glass of water hmm

i.m generally a happy soul but i DO need to lose some flab before i get much older sad so please give me the kick (up my more than ample) bum! grin

NumberFour Tue 23-Sep-08 10:57:54

ComeOVeneer: sorry last post was all about me.... I do hope that your DH's diabetes is not too severe and that he is able to control it well.

fedda Tue 23-Sep-08 11:51:35

Did you check it out, NumberFour? I love that thread, so many supportive people are on there.

NumberFour Tue 23-Sep-08 16:39:16

sorry, fedda! the kids are keeping me busy.
they are screaming for me again. tough being popular.............

Jumpty Tue 23-Sep-08 18:01:26

Can I make a controversial suggestion? Don't go to the gym or try to work out. I lost 3 stones at the beginning of this year with a combination of low carbing, hypnotherapy and reducing portions. One really important thing for me was to reconnect eating with my appetite. For this reason, I didn't go to the gym until I had lost almost all of the weight. If your metabolism speeds up, you will feel more hungry. If you're like me, you will also over-estimate how much more you can eat because of your workout. If you have food issues, I think it's best to focus on one thing at a time - your food issues. As you lose weight you can incorporate more activity into your daily life (more walking, running up stairs) and leave the gym and structured workouts until you're nearly there. Also, do you think "if only I only had a stone to lose, that would be easy"? Focus on losing one stone because you will feel and look much better when you lose that stone and that will help with the next one.

ThePenguinProject Tue 23-Sep-08 22:36:05

Jumpty - Thank you for you comment. I do understand what you're saying. I'm actually planning on going to the gym to help with my self esteem rather than to lose weight. I find I get a confidence boost when I exercise (even if it's really easy), just the act of doing something gives me that smug feeling iykwim. Aerobic exercise is what I need to lose weight, but I'll probably do body pump and yoga more simply because I enjoy them and am more likely to keep them up.

Also, I think the time away from DS would do us both good, so I'm looking at the gym more as "me time" than get slim time if that makes sense. Also I can have a long hot shower afterwards all by myself! grin

kidsrus Wed 01-Oct-08 22:38:54

ooh number4 know where you are coming from mine arrive @ 7.45,8 & 830 drop some to school and collect 1 then pre-school runs and settling in school runs afterschool runs oh and then theres the park and the play and the paper work (don't mention the O word).
but like fedda says come and join us on the new thread (the old 1 exceeded its limits)
just here for recipes advice and support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now