Talk

Advanced search

I'm dieting effectively and have lost a stone, but haven't lost any inches from my tummy, which is why I am doing it,

(16 Posts)
padboz Fri 12-Sep-08 09:50:30

any ideas?

TarkaLiotta Fri 12-Sep-08 10:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fedda Fri 12-Sep-08 11:02:50

Hi padboz. I'm not an expert but I had similar situation and later I found out that I lost some inches when I didn't expect it. I think loosing inches is different from loosing pounds and you probably need some gently but effective exersise concentrating on your area you want to make slimmer. in one of the hotels I was staying in gym area they had a very good exersising device - totally effortless but very effective. i can't remember what it was called but it was helping to concentrate on the weist and it helped me. Good luck!

JODIEhadababy Fri 12-Sep-08 11:10:06

When I started Weightwatchers many moons ago, hey did say that at first you probably won't notice a change in size as the first bit of fat to go is the stuff thats got itself wrapped round your organs, so depending on how big you were in the forst place depends on how long it takes to see a change.

I would say though after a stone (well done you!) you should start seeing some changes now. Also Excersise is the key to inch loss, so stomach crunches all the way!!

padboz Fri 12-Sep-08 11:22:41

oooh replies. thanks!

EXERCISE??? <<shudder>>

Anyone know how many stomach crunches make a difference?

JODIEhadababy Fri 12-Sep-08 11:28:24

Now i;m no expert, but I do 10 up the middle, 10 to esch side (20 in all) and 10 with my legs in the air to do the bottom bit of the tummy, then repeat if I have time. Should do it every day, but I don;t!!

You can also try holding in your tummy muscles just while you are walking around, that helps too (also works with your bum!)

JODIEhadababy Fri 12-Sep-08 11:28:51

Now if only I could practise what I preach! blush

qumps Fri 12-Sep-08 11:33:35

just seem this thread and happt to offer advice from a pe teacher. stomach crunches will tone muscle but not remove fat so if too much fat on top to see stomach muscles.... the best thing to do is steady cv work so swim, walk, jog as these are the most effective fat burners.
absolutely no point dieting if you are not going to exercise as results much quicker if you do both.

Jahan Fri 12-Sep-08 12:51:38

But you still lose weight if you diet and don't exercise, qumps so there is a point surely?

Have you recently had a baby, Padboz?
It can take a while for your stomach to go back down.

Pilates type exercises are the best, I hear.
Must start on them myself smile

SuperSillyus Fri 12-Sep-08 13:01:17

yogalates worked wonders for my waistline very quickly (and I must must must get back to it! )

ColumboWearsControlPants Fri 12-Sep-08 13:04:02

padboz if you shudder at exercise - I have one of those Slendertone Flex belts and they DO work - though the faffing with replacing the pads and batteries can put you off, plus the cost in general - but if you're losing weight/fat they definitely tone up your waist muscles about the same as doing 200 - 300 crunches a day, and you can wear it while you're doing the ironing or watching TV. I've started using mine again and lost 2 inches off my waist in a week.

KT1983 Fri 12-Sep-08 13:10:22

Hi Padboz - Im a Fitness Instructor - the best thing you could buy is a Fitball - stomach crunches on there will work a 100 times better than all other abdominal exercises/machines. They can also be very useful for hundreds of different exercises using only your body weight - no additional equiptment needed.
They work on your inner core muscles - which are the muscles that make up your abs and lower back!

Also - for your waist - I teach hula hooping classes....Great fun & excellent for slimming waist area.
Try 10mins a day to some music!!

Hope this helps smile

ColumboWearsControlPants Fri 12-Sep-08 13:16:33

Just found this

Some diet tips about how to reduce fat around the middle

ColumboWearsControlPants Fri 12-Sep-08 13:20:32

Jeez it's not for the faint hearted actually!

minorbird Fri 12-Sep-08 13:24:54

Well, Im quite into bodybuilding (am not one though grin ) and the difference between someone who is slim and someone who is slim and defined is mainly down to nutrition. Unfortunately, to get lean (rid of the fat) its about dropping the good old carbs for at least one meal a day. Pref night time.

In bodybuilding...The way you know if you're diets not good or clean is when you can no longer see your abs. It only takes a few days of naughty eating on my part and they start to fade. (Regardless of how much exercize I do.)

Best o luck! smile

padboz Fri 12-Sep-08 15:20:15

thank you all so much. lots to go on there. the hula hoops sounds fun and quick. KT

I've always wondered if those belts are any good. columbo

Minor - I'm doing low carb and with chicken and fish rather than bacon and eggs etc. Its amazingly filling and I'm not having any trouble - low carb certainly works for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now