Talk

Advanced search

can veggies do low carb????

(8 Posts)
sannie Sun 07-Sep-08 13:21:47

was doing really well with the diet and then I went on holiday and ate far too much pasta, pizza etc (was in Italy after all )....

the best way for me to loose weight is to cut the carbs ...by that i stop eating bread, pasta, rice etc.....and just eat cereal, stir-fried veg.....

it gets really boring though and i can't do it for too long.....just wondering if any other veggoes manage a low carb diet...

thanks

ChipButty Sun 07-Sep-08 13:24:42

I don't think it's advisable but, if it works for you... However, the fact that you can't sustain it for too long speaks volumes to me.

HoratioMcCain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:29:18

I wouldn'#t advise cutting carbs out, you need them for energy.

A lot of vegetarians/vegans who aren't eating a properly balanced diet tend to overeat carbs to sort of 'compensate', at least that's how it works for the people that I know of. If you're eating a healthy and varied diet you should be able to eat carbs and still lose weight.

I'm a vegan, and I find that it's very easy to eat a lot of carbs. I wouldn't say that I eat low carb, but I certainly eat less than I was doing before I started losing weight.

HTH.

HoratioMcCain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:30:24

Plus - it's not carbs that are bad, it's what you put with them... the butter on your bread, the cream in the sauce that is on your pasta, cheese on the pizza etc etc etc

sannie Sun 07-Sep-08 13:32:54

ahhh ok ....

seems i need to rethink....

HoratioMcCain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:36:58

I would highly recommend this website --> www.bdaweightwise.com/eating/eating_plan.aspx

It gives you the wheel of health broken down into serving sizes so that you don't have to worry about weighing things. It's not a diet as such, but a healthy eating plan for life.

I found that back in my veggie days when I was overdoing the carbs I wasn't eating a very big variety of food. Do you eat things like lentils/beans/tofu/grains?

Furball Sun 07-Sep-08 14:00:59

Have you looked at slimming world? tis very healthy as you can see and you really can eat yourself silly and still lose weight including carbs

Furball Sun 07-Sep-08 14:02:16

sorry meant to say - you don't have to follow that particular food, you can substitute what you like as long as it's on the plan. you are also allowed about 10 syns for trats per day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now