Talk

Advanced search

Exercise - what do you do?

(23 Posts)
JHKE Sat 06-Sep-08 14:15:42

I want to lose 2 stone.. ideally by christmas but proberbly not really that realistic. My main problem is I don't really do enough exercise so am trying to think what I can do. I have a nearly 3 year old and a 4 year old so walking anywhere is slow... I don't really have any money to go gym or really exercise classes and I have 2 fitness DVDs but they don't hold my interest. Maybe I am being picky, I don't know but I just wondered what everyone else did and maybe I will get some more ideas.

Thanks

3andnomore Sat 06-Sep-08 15:05:14

hi there,
here a
link to an old thread which has plenty of Exercise DVD reviews....maybe you see somehting that you might like!

Which DVD's do you have right now?

Pinions Sat 06-Sep-08 15:07:27

Run.

BBBee Sun 07-Sep-08 11:14:02

you could set up a dvd motivating thread and get support form others who are doing dvds at home.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 11:15:54

we had something similar last year...more general though...twas an Exercise Buddy thread (can't remember if you were on it...sorry....but for me you are always a 10/10ner )

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 11:16:15

that was to BBBee

toadette Sun 07-Sep-08 11:28:36

Would also suggest taking up running. Which DVDs do you have JHKE? There are some really good ones reviewed on the thread that 3andnomore linked to. Could maybe pick some of them up on ebay?

toadette Sun 07-Sep-08 11:33:56

Sorry, just realised that you asked what exercise we do.

I run twice a week at the moment, three times if I get the chance. Normally cover 3 to 4 miles on a short run (30-40minutes), up to 6.5 miles on a longer run (just over an hour).

When I have some free time in mornings (dc3 starting nursery school this year) then I plan to swim at least once a week (normally do 1km when get chance) and add in an exercise DVD a couple of times a week (I really like Davina, Taebo and Nell McAndrew).

DoubleBluff Sun 07-Sep-08 11:45:41

Running is cheap and effective.
I used to get up before DCs woke and do a half hour run.
Need to get back into it really

JHKE Sun 07-Sep-08 16:10:04

Thanks for your responses..

I have the Angela Griffiths Dance one.. and a Yoga one. I looked at the thread linked by 3andnomore and I quite like the look of the Urban dance one.. I will look on ebay for it.. am a bit loathed to spend too much money. I like dancing but I don't like the ones that are exercisey if that makes sense.

Running - I am quite heavy footed and to be honest doesn't interest me at all...sorry...

I need something that will keep me motivated.

Is there a current exercise motivation thread going?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 18:24:05

The Strictly come exercise one looks quite good...there is a preview on Amazon....

my favourites are Tae Bo, Nell Mc'Andrews and Davinas..am not good with picking up steps....so....try to avoid dance ones....lol

I do have, however, the Salsacise (with that girl from Coronationstreet, the one that played Maxine...)...you are welcome to it...I can send it to you if you E-mail me your Address on
realjolie @ yahoo . de

CapricaSix Sun 07-Sep-08 19:39:10

Hello, I'm a single mum so motivating myself to do exercise is really hard as I can't get out of the house on my own easily.

However, I have just started to jog back home from dropping dd at school (about 10 mins, all i can manage so far!!), that'll be 2 days a week (I work the other 3), and i also have zoe Lucker's Little Black Dress dvd, today i did 3 of the 10 min sessions on there, and I intend to try & do that both sat & sun in future, and a tue evening (i think doing it all 3 work evenings is a bit ambitious esp as i've just started studying with the OU too!

I am browsing the other thread & Amazon for other DVD alternatives too.

JHKE Sun 07-Sep-08 20:07:45

Thanks for the offer 3andnomore, but have tried that one.. lol Me and a friend did that one a few times quite a few years ago now...not so keen on it... but thanks anyway.

Plan is tommorrow is to walk to the big park here with my ds once dropped dd at playgroup. He had walk a little faster so not too bad.. I'll work out the next day tommorrow.

CapricaSix Sun 07-Sep-08 20:10:34

Have just ordered 2 10-minute Workout dvds, the kickboxing one & the toning one. Them being 10 mins each workout will hopefully motivate me more to at least make a start! (That's what i like about the Zoe Lucker one, i just fancy a change, and the kickboxing is my fave section on that one - and toning is def something i need to do!!!)

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 09:39:50

JHKE...well...I wasn't that keen on it neither...but put it down to have no leg/arm co-ordination (well..funny thing is, freestyle I am a good mover...but anything where I have to co-ordinate steps from a dance-routine...and it is bye bye for me,lol)

This thread has had me get my butt into gear though...so, thank you for that...
I will do 3 days a week weights and 3 days a week Cardio vascular exercise again....
I was really good with doing daily exercise last year and fell of the waon in the winter...tried to get back into it in the summer hols, and did a bit, but not as committed...
got up at 6am this morning and did the Abs workout-from the Absdiet Book....which is purely weights and things....

Shall we maybe resurrect an Exercise Buddy thread? It really helped me last year

JHKE Mon 08-Sep-08 09:45:01

That sounds like a good idea. I think I will need the kick to get me motivated.

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 09:50:30

you start it or I?
Not that we start 2, lol

toadette Mon 08-Sep-08 10:32:05

I'll join in if you start a new exercise buddies thread, 3anm or JHKE smile

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 08-Sep-08 10:34:25

i do 20 min school walk twice a day but is at dd1's pace so is more of a stroll! i walk back at my own/the dogs pace so that is quite fast.

i mean to at least 20 mins on my bike/stepper and half an hour wii fit or sports each day too!!

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 10:48:38

new Exercise Buddie thread

Lizzylou Mon 08-Sep-08 10:54:24

I go running a few times a week and also do a spinning class. I've just got a new DVD to do when it's too wet and dark to run, Zoe Luckers Little Black Dress, it's OK, quite gentle really, have a look at Play.com they have loads reduced at the moment.

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 11:05:45

Well....I just starting to eercise again...been far to lazy again for to long

I will attempt to do 3 x a week Weight Training and 3 x a week cardio ( my favourites being Nell Mc Andrew's workouts and Tae Bo....right now)

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 11:06:52

lol..duh...wrong tread...should have had my eyes open and brain engaged, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now