Talk

Advanced search

Stitch. Bloody annoying. Why do I keep getting it and how to prevent it?

(6 Posts)
MummyPenguin Wed 03-Sep-08 19:03:54

I go to the gym regularly and my routine usually begins with 20 - 30 mins on either the cross trainer or the exercise bike. Then I hit the treadmill. I really like the treadmill and enjoy running but I keep getting stitch. It's pretty much as soon as I step on to the treadmill, it's weird, like a sort of trigger almost. It's always on the right hand side in my ribs. It usually goes after about 15 - 20 mins of walking but I can't run with it. It doesn't happen on any of the other equipment. I drink quite a lot of water before I go on the treadmill, could that be it? I wouldn't have thought so. Should I maybe do the treadmill first? Any thoughts? It's so annoying as is really interfering with my exercise. I could do so much more without it. Will appreciate any tips/advice.

Mummyofthreebeauties Wed 03-Sep-08 19:10:50

No answers but watching with interest as just as I decided to train for a ten mile run (eek) I also keep getting them. Same as you just can't run. As I squeeze in runs between putting DS2 to bed and tea it feels like a real missed opportunity.

catinthehat Wed 03-Sep-08 19:21:08

I used to get this, don't any more. With me it was connected to being constantly low on iron for various reasons. I am not low on iron now and I rarely get stitch.
You could easily check this one out - I found out by going to donate blood and being too low on iron to donate.
[Then off to the docs if 'yes' of course]

MummyPenguin Wed 03-Sep-08 21:18:59

Ah, I wouldn't have thought of that. You may be on to something there. I am prone to being low on iron, and usually take iron supplements but haven't in ages. Will start doing so again. Have meant to do this. Hope it improves things. Thanks.

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:24:10

When i was at school one of our PE teachers told us that when you get the stitch you can instantly relieve it by hugging each knee up to your chest (separately of course!) and holding for about 5 seconds each side. It should be gone or if not, alot more bearable. It really does work too!

HTH!

nikki1978 Fri 12-Sep-08 10:36:08

It is generally caused by not warming up properly or eating too close to exercising. They say it happens for one of the following two reasons:

1) During exercise, our blood moves away from the diaphragm to the limbs.

The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the stomach and abdomen from the heart and lungs.

It's one of the main muscles involved in breathing.

Most scientists believe the pain is caused by a reduction in blood supply to the diaphragm, causing it to cramp.

2) The stitch is caused by fluids which the body finds hard to digest.

This causes the gut to "tug" on the ligaments connecting it to the diaphragm.

If you bend and touch your toes or push hard where it hurts it should go. Try to build up to exertion in your exercise sessions - i.e walk then jog then run.

Nikki

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now