Talk

Advanced search

Did you swim to aid weight loss?

(7 Posts)
SpacePuppy Tue 02-Sep-08 07:46:49

I think I want to try this, but I'm not sure how to start, obviously I know I have to go to the pool and swim, but if you did, how did you start, how long did you swim, did you enjoy it and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Febes Tue 02-Sep-08 07:50:38

I'm going to start an aqua aerobics class twice a week next week. I did a ante and post natal class but now need to do some but my jelly belly. Or you could just swim lengths and increase time each week. Using a kick board is good for toning legs.

mckenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 07:53:27

for weight loss, you'll be better doing some brisk walks and some weights. Swim for pleasure too if you can fit it in as it will help with toning.

LoveMyGirls Tue 02-Sep-08 07:57:03

I did, I'd go twice a week do 20-30 lengths (I upped it over time) plus aquafit once a week and about every other week i did areobics I did this from feb to june as well as weightwatchers and lost 2 and a half stone. It was well worth the effort now I'm 9.7 and about to start the last push to get toned, grow my nails and just generally make more of an effort, I've got a makeover/ photo shoot planned for october so I want to be looking my best plus I'm ordering my wedding dress by the end of october ready for next september so lots of reasons for the final effort!

Hope you get what you want!

SpacePuppy Tue 02-Sep-08 08:20:04

Oh great, I agree about the weights, I have a set of hand weights that I am planning to use at home, but the reason behind the swimming idea is that I have a hip that starts to ache with walking and I was told that swimming is a good alternative as the water supports your body weight and lets you still do the exercising. The board and kicking sounds good, and I will ask if they do a class at my local gym.

fishie Tue 02-Sep-08 08:28:06

i have always swum on and off but when i embarked on a shrinking campaign a couple of years ago started going 3 x a week, 50 lengths a time. i've replaced a lot of that with running now, as swimming is rather time-consuming since its a mile walk to pool whereas can run on doorstep.

it is best to set times when you WILL go and stick to them. i pay for late pick-up from cm twice a week so that i can exercise.

Monkeytrousers Tue 02-Sep-08 08:36:23

Just as long as you know that women have to diet and exercise to lose weight. Only men can exercise and lose weight by any substantial measure - unless you ar egoing to start running 5 miles a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now