Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I cant lose weight...

(26 Posts)
givenupforlent Thu 17-Feb-05 23:26:50

I dont eat crisps, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, fizzy drinks, caffeine, alcohol, not much bread so how come im not losing weight.

I eat fruit, vegetables, some meat but not excessive, fish, drink water, skimmed milk, oatsosimple WITH WATER! etc

If i was intolerant to some food would it cause me to retain water?

Am getting desperate now as during the last week I have lost 3lbs then gained 6lbs.

Thought my scales may be wrong so went to Boots today and they confirmed my scales are right

HunkerMunker Thu 17-Feb-05 23:28:23

Can you keep a food diary to see what you actually eat (quantities, etc). Could you have something like PCOS? I know when I developed that, I seemed to put on weight from thin air.

elliesmoomoo Thu 17-Feb-05 23:29:20

How about weighing yourself once a week? Maybe your weight is going up and down day to day.... (im not an expert believe me ) Or trying some exercise?

givenupforlent Thu 17-Feb-05 23:30:30

well so far today for example ive had scrambled egg on 2x toast, tomato soup, plate of broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce made with skimmed milk and a small tin of mandarins. Ive drunk either water or hotwater & lemon juice.

|What symptoms are there with PCOS?

elliesmoomoo Thu 17-Feb-05 23:30:33

I agree with Hunker. My prob is portion sizes. I could have a lovely healthy meal but have too much of something

givenupforlent Thu 17-Feb-05 23:31:18

i spend 2 x 10mins on my cross trainer, and took kids to the park for a long walk, plus walked to the docs and back (about 3.4mile)

elliesmoomoo Thu 17-Feb-05 23:31:39

What you ate today sounds fine.... Your very good!! However milk products contain alot of fat and make you quite sluggish

elliesmoomoo Thu 17-Feb-05 23:32:59

How about going to your Doctors to discuss it if your weight continues to be stubborn? Maybe it will start coming off in a few weeks? How long have you been healthy eating?

HunkerMunker Thu 17-Feb-05 23:35:35

This explains it, I think. pcos It may very well not be, but it is something that can make you hang onto weight. Or a thyroid problem?

phatcat Thu 17-Feb-05 23:43:56

How much do you weigh? It could be that you're not getting enough daily calories for your weight and that your body is going into starvation mode, preventing you getting into fat burning metabolism. Your food intake today doesn't sound like many calories.

saintshar Thu 17-Feb-05 23:44:12

I was the same. I ha ve been dieting for about 6 Weeks now - and doing really well, but hadn't lost a pound!

I haven't been 'kidding' my self either, i really have been eating very well, cut out alcohol etc, but just couldn't lose anything.

I decided if i hadn't lost any in another two Weeks then i was going to the Doctors, as it just isn't right.

Then my friend told me she was taking adios, those herbal tabs you see advertised on the T.V. She said they really helped her. So i decided to give it a go in desperation.

Anyway, after taking them for 6 days i have lost 4lb! Neadless to say i will stick with them.....

givenupforlent Thu 17-Feb-05 23:58:51

I reckon i struggle to consume 1300 cals a day. I had a body gem test done at my local Virgin gym which is a device which tests your resting metabolic rate and tells you how many cals you should consume to just maintain your weight doing housework and non manual job - i should apparently consume 2700 per day!

Ive been to the doctors 4 times now about my weight problem - the first time the doc told me to simply halve my intake, when i said i didnt intake that much he said "no one fat ever came out of Belson" The last time I went I just asked to be referred to a dietician which they did but when the appointment came though it turns out its a group session and whilst they're a lovely bunch of people they all seriously enjoy their food and most overeat quite substantially ie. one lass has 4 packs of crisps per night, another goes drinking 4-5 times a week etc. During my weigh in with the dietician ive tried to explain the difference between myself and the others in the group but she just thinks i must have huge portions (which i dont).

phatcat Fri 18-Feb-05 00:32:19

it doesn't sound like your GP / dietician is partcularly supportive or knowledgeable. If you don't get enough cals you'll (eventually) lose muscle mass (not fat) - this is what happened to the people in Belsen. The Atkins Diet book has a very good section explaining how weight loss occurs and why you need to eat enough to lose weight - not saying you need to follow this diet, the principles would apply to other types of diet too.

Dior Fri 18-Feb-05 18:10:28

Message withdrawn

champs Fri 18-Feb-05 23:32:44

hi HM agree with dior and phatcat, sounds like intake is not enough. your doc and dietician sound awful!! is there another hosp that has a dietician you could contact?

jampots Fri 18-Feb-05 23:35:33

ive made an appointment to go see a kineisiologist (sp?) for Monday morning to see if im intolerant to any foods as I hold an awful lot of water which apparently can be a symptom in addition to the rash ive been getting for 2.5 years. Im desperate now

champs Fri 18-Feb-05 23:44:28

at least you can know one way or the other.

ljcooper3 Sun 20-Feb-05 19:51:14

Perhaps your not eating enough?

When I used to go to WW I thought if I ate like a few points below what I was allowed then I would lose weight quicker. But I was told if you dont eat enough you wontlose weight.

TiredBunny Mon 21-Feb-05 11:48:55

I lost 3 st last year by just looking at the fat content and not paying attention to calories - lost the weight in 5 months! calories dont seem to get me losing weight and with the fat monitoring i seemed to lose inches really quickly. No more than 3 grams per 100 grams of whatever youre eating - didnt worry about portion sizes really. Maybe you should try this?

Dior Mon 21-Feb-05 15:55:38

Message withdrawn

soapbox Mon 21-Feb-05 16:02:30

I think its unlikely to be eating too little!

The diet which Woodpops and I have been doing (i've lost 4 stones - she's lost 5 stones) is a very low calorie diet and involved eating only 450 calories a day. Unsurprisingly the weight fell off

I would think that the most likely reason is to do with water fluctuation/retention. I think the more water you drink the more weight you are likely to lose. Not least as drinking all that water stops you eating at the same time

So get drinking

TiredBunny Mon 21-Feb-05 17:25:52

Someone told me to fill up on sugar free jelly....worked but got fed up of it.

sophie10 Mon 21-Feb-05 17:51:17

Sorry if I have missed this already being said but I had this problem a few years ago. When I went to the doctor about a diffrent issue he sent me for a blood test and it turns out I have an underactive thyroid which makes it v diff to lose weight. HTH

jampots Mon 21-Feb-05 20:54:55

in a desperate attempt to find out anything about whats causing me to cling to anything i eat, i went to see a kinesiologist today and it transpires that i am vitamin A, beta carotene and vitamin c deficient. in addition my liver seems clogged and my lymph system was blocked. After energy cleansing i am now keeping my fingers crossed. I am due to go back in a couple of weeks to see about food sensitivities all in all i feel very positive today and completely brill

champs Mon 21-Feb-05 22:14:48

glad you have some answers now. let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now