Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for calorie counted meals - 100, 200, 250, 300 - etc?

(11 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 24-Aug-08 17:22:20

According to the Food Focus site, I need to eat 1088 calories a day! That's not many!

In order to make it as easy as possible I am trying to work out a number of meals that I know are a set number of calories.

I'd like to try and split the day up, so that I have something that's about 100-200 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 for dinner, with the rest to allow for any snacking in between.

Any ideas/suggestions?

3andnomore Sun 24-Aug-08 23:50:05

calory counting is shite and deprivation in my opinion....but, I suppose as in any healthier, lower calorific lifestyle....lots of salads,soups, and fatfree yoghurts....
but to be honest, if you like food but want to loose weight...join Slimmingworld...it works!

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 16:25:05

It's shite and deprivation in my opinion too, but sadly necessary, 3andnomore!

I'm not going down the fatfree/low fat route because I don't want to eat artificial/highly processed rubbish, but want to construct a number of reliable (i.e tasty and easily replicable) meals that will make it easier - short of buying M&S Count on Us meals and paying a fortune for the privilege.

Anyway, here are a few breakfast things I've already worked out, in case anyone else is interested:

1 boiled/hard boiled egg (large) 100 cals
1/2 tin Heinz beans and 2 (large) poached eggs 250 cals
1/2 tin Heinz beans and 1 slice Warburton's Wholemeal bread/toast 250 cals
2 (large) eggs, scrambled (made in a non-stick pan and with no fat) with 1 slice Warburton's toast 300 cals

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 16:29:30

Does that add up

An egg is 100 cals

which makes beans 50 cals
which makes bread 200 cals
which means the bottom one is wrong

Or have I misunderstood?

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 16:41:31

Whoops - no I'm wrong - sorry! blush

I meant 1/2 tin beans and 1 (large) poached egg - 250 cals

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 16:44:32

See I saved you 100 cals with just a bit of maths wink

I have stir-fried chicken & veggies a lot

There can't be a lot of calories in that or in homemade soup (all veg no fat - just liquidised)

Jahan Mon 25-Aug-08 17:10:15

All diets involve some sort of deprivation, unfortunately! We have to make up for our excesses somehow.

I'm following a calorie restriction diet so it would be great to have some pre-counted meals.

Here's a basic tomato sauce that you add whatever you like to (or just have it as it is with some counted pasta or rice)

1/2 tblsp cooking oil (60)
Small onion
garlic clove
1 can of tomatoes (92)
Any herbs or spices.

Fry onion and garlic in the oil. Add the tomatoes and simmer til thickened. Obviously, it makes quite a bit and you probably need a 1/4 of it for 1 portion so its about 38 cals.

50g of pasta is around 173.

Jahan Mon 25-Aug-08 17:20:00

Here are some recipes from BBCGoodFood

You can search for recipes under 200cals and between 200-400cals. I'll definitely be checking them out! smile

3andnomore Mon 25-Aug-08 18:08:26

lol Because...but if you do SW you eat lots of fresh foods...well, obviously if you wanted you could also find highly processed foods you could get away wiht, but SW does totally encourage healthy eating.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 21:55:12

I know 3 - but I don't want to join anything.

I'm actually struggling with the idea of going back to low calorie eating, tbh. I have been eating (mainly) low carb for the last 4 years or so. It works for me, but the main drawback - which I realise every time I go on holiday - is the fact that you have to cut out certain foods.

Low calorie eating can still include lots of fresh veg too!

3andnomore Mon 25-Aug-08 22:06:44

it's just that Slimming worls is so easy, and you can really fill up, and especially if you like your low carbing, you can kind off do that, really....well...just do red days/original days...
honestly there is no need for deprivation, there really isn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now