Talk

Advanced search

is life too short to be thin?

(16 Posts)
silvermum Fri 15-Aug-08 18:41:50

i'm fed up of being on a diet! i've been trying to lose weight since my DS was born a year ago. i put on three stone in the pregnancy. only one stone of that was baby, leaving two stone to lose (cake and biscuits eaten during pregnancy). I'm not far off my target now but just feel like rebelling! i don't enjoy the gym, and i want to eat pizza, fish and chips and cake grin. especially on a Friday night. arghghghgh! anyone else feel the same? is life too short to be slim?

3andnomore Fri 15-Aug-08 19:00:35

Hm...life might be even shorter though if not slim?

You say you are almost at your target weight...once you reach it, maybe try to be "good" for 6 days a week and give yourself a day off being good and have a day where you eat the things you are missing....!

Try to remember why you wanted to loose weight in teh first place...how did you feel when you were heavier compared to how you feel now?

Jahan Fri 15-Aug-08 19:08:35

I put on the same amount you but I feel the the opposite. I think life's too short to not be slim, fit and healthy (this applies to me only. I am not implying anything about anyone else and their weight/health/fitness before I get slated grin).

I want to be able to feel like I look nice in clothes. I want to have the confidence that being slimmer will bring me. I don't want to be 'the fat one' amongst my friends and I want to look good for my dh - just like I want him to be fit and slim with a washboard stomach mmmmmmm dream on grin

BBBee Fri 15-Aug-08 19:16:20

agree Jahan - life too short to be fat.

AbbeyA Fri 15-Aug-08 19:24:47

I agree, life is too short to waste it being fat.It stops you doing too many things.

sarah293 Fri 15-Aug-08 19:32:38

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Fri 15-Aug-08 20:32:09

There probably would be if they were running a race, riven!!

Jahan Fri 15-Aug-08 20:39:24

But its not about the end, is it?
Its the life you live.

bonnibaby Fri 15-Aug-08 22:35:04

Hmmm, i konw what you mean,my friend is 70 and still witters on like i do about dieting,exercising etc and i listen to her and think Crikey,is this it? am i destined to be obsessed all my life? how sad!!!!
Having said that i have more or less lost most of my baby weight-DD is 9 months- and its a fab feeling to be back in my old clothes at last!

silvermum Sun 17-Aug-08 10:39:22

if you thought you only had a short time left on this planet, though, would you still want to be thin? i'd be eating pizza, carrot cake and chocolate like there was no tomorrow.
so maybe it is okay to indulge in later life??
i speak as someone who has been super fit and pretty slim - except post pregnancy - for the last ten years, but only with enormous effort and sacrifice.
i look at posh spice who looks like a skeleton and think that level of self deprivation must be absolutely miserable. surely life's too short for that?

abba1772 Sun 24-Aug-08 12:03:19

i do my diet during the week and at the wekends i eat whatever i want and i still manage to lose beween 1-2 pounds a week

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 30-Aug-08 22:52:59

Life too short to be fat, but I think life is also too short to be Celebrity thin.

I think we confuse fashion slim with healthy slim. Personally, I am extremely vain and I'm always trying to be size ten, even though my BMI is bang in the normal range.

The 80/20 rule is a good one. I tend to follow that even when I'm being normal and not paying much attention to what I eat.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 30-Aug-08 22:55:09

Bonnibaby, that is sad, because it never became habit to her. It is still something she's conscious of. Eating smaller portions, rejecting the food she really wants to eat.

One would have hoped that by 70, it would just be like breathing.... OR< you would let go of the control and accept creeping up a dress size (or two).

nikki1978 Fri 12-Sep-08 11:07:31

I have been following a diet online and am finally at a point where I have nearly reached my goal weight - have lost 4 stone - and feel I can easily maintain my weight for life now without depriving myself. I know to maintain my weight I can eat 1700 cals a day. If I want to eat more than that I need to do some exercise. I do 300 cals worth of exercise each day (an hour of aerobics) anyway so when I start to maintain I will have 2000cals a day which is more than enough. I have learnt during this 'diet' that although I can have a cheeseburger if I fancy it, most of the time I would rather have a massive plate of meat, potatoes ang veg for the same amount of cals. Weight is just a simple equation of energy in, energy out.

Life is too short to be dieting and worrying all the time but you need to be a healthy weight and eat healthily the majority of the time. I say eat well 6 days and have one bad day. But you really should exercise too - it is hard to get into at first but after a week or so you begin to enjoy it.

I am not happier as a person now I am slim - I was pretty happy fat! - but I feel good about myself, can wear nice clothes, am not so worried about health problems and just feel healthy.

Nikki

mabanana Fri 12-Sep-08 11:09:58

Why not have everything you like on Fridays? I know exactly how you feel, but life is less fun when you are constantly thinking about muffin top escaping from your clothes and feeling heavy when you run etc. I am trying to lose weight as gained so much over the summer (stress eating and drinking - so glad the kids are back now!)

nikki1978 Fri 12-Sep-08 11:14:22

By the way when I say eat healthily 6 days that is not ryvitas and salads! Here is a daily menu for me at the moment (bear in mind I am still losing, this is about 1400 cals):

B: 2 slice bread (crusts off) and 2 scrambled eggs

L: Prawn Mayo sandwich

D: Whole Rainbow Trout or steak or chicken breast with low fat mash, tons of veg with low fat cheese sauce on top (I hate dry veg)

S: Skinny Cow Triple Choc Icecream bar

I think that is pretty good eating for a 'diet'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now