Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give advice about a gastric band?

(5 Posts)
Pacific Fri 01-Aug-08 21:26:50

In a bit of a quandry.

I had made up my mind to have this done. Did all my research, spoke to people who had it, etc. The only thing I was slightly concerned about was the lack of follow-up from the private hospital. There is no dietary advice or psychological care afterwards. Also, I am travelling 250 miles to get it done so any potential emergency could be a problem. I am medically qualified and have many medical friends/relatives so this is probably not a major problem.

I booked and paid for half the cost. Two days later, my GP informed me that it is just now become available on the NHS in my area.

However, they have been absolutely inundated with referrals and are prioritising people who have other pathologies, ie diabetes. I am perfectly healthy other than being morbidly obese.

My excellent GP was advising me most strongly to wait and go with the NHS but...

1. It could be months or years before I even get a consultation.

2. I may not be eligible because I am otherwise healthy.

3. I have already paid for more than half the operation which is not refundable.

4. I have psychologically got myself set to have this procedure within the next few weeks and I don't think I can bear to cancel.

Can anyone help me get my head round this decision?

I don't want advice whether to have it done or not, that decision has already been made.

Please?

mamalovesmojitos Fri 01-Aug-08 23:42:13

well pacific i think you've answered your own question!

read over your four 'buts'.

if you have the money just go for it. you are ready for it now and there are no guarantees on the nhs. you sound like cancelling is not an option for you.

best of luck with it! rest and look after yourself.

Pacific Sat 02-Aug-08 09:31:47

Mamaloves, the people replying on the 'health' topic are saying the same. Having slept on it, I have decided to carry on with the private procedure.

mamalovesmojitos Sat 02-Aug-08 18:02:38

good for you. again, best of luck.

chocolatespiders Sat 02-Aug-08 18:30:35

I agree go for it... best decision hopefully you will ever make..

Take it easy after the op and give yourslef time to recover..

My mum had gastric bypass 2 years ago and hasnt looked back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now