Talk

Advanced search

i think i may be eating myself to death............

(14 Posts)
nofuture Wed 16-Jul-08 20:20:41

i have always been big i have tried every diet going... they work for the short term but i continuely obbsess about food and then binge..

I have had hypnosis- no different to my eating

I have bought slimming tablets.

my life seems to be run by food and when i can next eat and i hate it.. i have 3 children and i am lone parent and when they are in bed i eat and eat

I would love to hear from anyone who has overcome overeating..

Unhappyeater Wed 16-Jul-08 20:23:55

I will be watching this thread. I am on a terrible binge at the moment. I just can't stuff enough sweet crap into my mouth, I wake up thinking about food, go to bed thinking about food. I worry so much about how it will affect my dc but just can't stop myself. I feel crap about the way I look and out of control. It's soul destroying sad sad sad

Unhappyeater Wed 16-Jul-08 20:24:23

I was thinking about hypnosis, was it no help at all?

stitch Wed 16-Jul-08 20:27:20

you need to identify the reason you eat. once that is done, then you can work at removing that. the excessive eating will fall away.

personally, i have found the atkins approach to food perfect for me. i can still eat as much as i want, but as long as i stay within the quite varied foods, i have not only lost two stone, but kept most of it off.

a tip that i have is when you feel like eating, have a glass full of water instead. usually stops that snack time at least.

Hecate Wed 16-Jul-08 20:31:43

The first thing to realise is that it is NOT about food. Honestly, it's not. It's about you, your life. Food is the - weapon you are using to hurt yourself with, or the comfort you are giving yourself to ease your pain. For me, I binge because I feel there is a big gaping hole in the middle of me and it only goes away only when I am stuffed full, but it always comes back.

You can't even begin to beat it until you can identify what the problem actually is. Nobody eats themselves to death because they like crisps. Some people would have you believe that is the case but it is NOT! In the same way that an anorexic does not starve themselves because they don't like the taste of food!

Food is not the issue and it's not the enemy. What you need is counselling to get to the bottom of the problem.

Unhappyeater Wed 16-Jul-08 20:32:25

I know why I eat. I'm stressed, over-stretched and over-committed. I'm trying to tackle that but sometimes you just have busy times. Don't know how to stop it.

Hecate Wed 16-Jul-08 20:35:01

I know (now) why I do it. Why I have eaten myself so fat I can't walk. But I cannot sort out the problem atm, so the food is still a struggle. I haven't done anything to sort out the reason why I have done this to myself. Until you start to sort out the problems, you'll still use the food.

TigerFeet Wed 16-Jul-08 20:35:27

It's so hard isn't it? I have periods of binge eating and am very overweight. It's reasonably under control just now, I'm not losing weight but I'm not gaining either. I find it's very tied up with my state of mind. I suffer from depression and have done on and off pretty much all my adult life and I find that when I am down I eat terribly.

I probably shouldn't offer advice given that a lot of the time my own eating is out of control. Getting to the root of the problem is the key, if you can identify what is causing you to eat then you can remove that. Are you depressed? Lonely? Bored? Can you find something else to do with your evening? Do you get out by yourself at all?

TigerFeet Wed 16-Jul-08 20:38:57

sorry x-posts

Is there anything you can give up? I have cut my hours at work (not an option for a lot of people I know), cut back on what I do outside work (a shame, but better than being stressed about yet more stuff) and stopped getting into such a tiz about the state of the house. It all helps.

nofuture Wed 16-Jul-08 21:03:03

glad i am not alone

the first session of hypnosis was great i was eating better getting up every morninga doing excercise dvd and i lost 8lbs before the second one 2 weeks later... but after the second one sad
feel like emailing her and asking for first one again.....

mine is def emotional i heard the other day my ex was expecting a new baby with new partner and all i could think was what can i eat....

It really effects my whole life i have been single for 3 years... i want to have the confidence to go out and meet new friends new man!!

but i dont i hide in the house apart from when i go to work kids school etc

TigerFeet Wed 16-Jul-08 21:19:09

It's a really difficult cycle to break isn't it?

Start small. Find something else to do with your hands. You could knit maybe or take up scrapbooking or something.

Have you been to your GP? Some kind of counselling, CBT maybe, could help.

stitch Thu 17-Jul-08 10:55:21

you are treating food the same way an addict would drugs.
if you can sort out the reason why take comfort in the food, then the weight will fall away. but until then, dont beat yourself up about wanting to eat, or being fat. you just end upmaking yourself more miserale

nofuture Fri 18-Jul-08 13:16:02

thanks for the ideas.... still feeling awful about this
went clothes shopping this morning, sad

stitch Sat 19-Jul-08 10:22:01

bad idea nof.
never ever go clothes shopping when you are feeling miserable about yourself. it is guaranteeed to make one almost suicidal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now