Talk

Advanced search

Can GP's prescribe any pills for weight loss? And what are the criteria?

(10 Posts)
Dragonbutter Thu 10-Jul-08 10:54:06

I want to lose 1-2 stone.
I just wondered if it was worth discussing with the GP or if i'm not big enough to qualify for medication to help.

MsDemeanor Thu 10-Jul-08 10:57:09

You need a BMI of 30, or 27 with health problems due to your weight, so it doesn't sound like you'd qualify.

thebecster Thu 10-Jul-08 10:58:16

Is there a reason (medical reason that is) why you can't restrict your food intake and increase exercise? And are you medically classified as obese or just would like to be slimmer?

Dragonbutter Thu 10-Jul-08 11:18:02

no, no medical reason just finding disturbed nights with the kids makes me so tired that i eat badly and feel too lethargic to exercise. My BMI will be overweight, but i have no medical issues.
Sounds like i'll just have to try and squeeze in some more exercise and cut down on the bad stuff.
Thanks.

thebecster Thu 10-Jul-08 11:27:42

It's hard when you've got little ones and you're tired. I find these tips helps (not meant to be patronising, just genuinely sharing experience) -

- Walking for miles & miles with DS - either him in pushchair or walking with me. Everywhere we go, we walk. I've lost inches off my thighs. We put a football in the buggy basket and have a kickabout when we reach the park - means I don't have to make extra time to exercise.

- After the shopping arrives, or after putting DS down for a nap, I peel a load of carrots, cut cauli & celery into bitesize pieces & stick them all in a freezer bag in the fridge. Means that I can grab something to munch when I've just got 'munchies' but don't have to actually prepare them at the time

- Cleaning my teeth 3 times a day helps - especially the after-lunch clean - it stops me snacking again.

- I fill a big bottle with water & put it in the fridge & try to finish it by the end of the day - I'm often thirsty when I get the munchies

- Writing down everything I eat from time to time - just for a few days always helps me realise where I'm going wrong.

Best of British to you, it's hard to be disciplined when you're knackered, I know from experience myself...

Dragonbutter Thu 10-Jul-08 11:36:35

Thanks for that.
Hadn't thought of the tooth brushing. That might help to remind me that lunchtime is over and not to keep eating til it's dinnertime again.
Actually, i have been losing weight. I lost quite a bit in my new year resolution diet phase but then plateued when knee pain put a stop to running, then i got demotivated.
I've just gone back to work which is helping on those days. With lots of people around and only 20 minutes to eat, i'm finding i behave better than if i'm home unsupervised with the nutella.
I think my most difficult time is the evening. i'm too knackered to exercise but need wind down time so don't go to bed.
That's when i get the munchies. and although i don't buy bad stuff for me in the weekly shop, i usually start raiding the kids sweeties.

With regards to help from the GP. I was just wondering really after reading about the pink patch. Not sure how i'd feel about taking something.

Thanks for your advice.

TinkerBellesMum Thu 10-Jul-08 11:46:12

Mum and a couple of friends are on Xenical, Mum has lost loads of weight on it. She put weight on because of medication and it was getting her down. I was going to see if I could get it before getting pregnant (three month plan, jab, Xenical, sort out the flat etc, baby came quicker than expected) as my bad back has made me less mobile and I put on a stone in about 6 months between visits with my Rheumy.

You can only try and hope you get a sympathetic GP. If you are having knee pain that is stopping you from being too mobile that might be something you could get sympathy on.

Don't do Pink Patch, it's completely psychological, just do a quick Google search. Xenical makes fat pass through you quicker (buy up lots of cheap underwear, if you do use it, that you would be happy to throw away after one wear). So not only are you not digesting fat so much, you also want to change your diet so that it's not so disgusting!

Dragonbutter Thu 10-Jul-08 11:52:03

I'm mobile, I can go for long walks.
It's just that when i run more than 3 miles my knee pain starts.
I basically threw a tantrum inwardly and decided not to bother running, although i realise that 2 miles is better than nothing.
What a pillock.

Right, that's it, am going to go for a run with the boys this afternoon. I have a double jogging buggy and everything.
I just need to get motivated again.

Cheer me on please.
If i promise to let you know how i get on, then i'm more committed to actually doing it IYSWIM.

thebecster Thu 10-Jul-08 12:46:17

Good luck Dragonbutter. Stop BEFORE your knee starts hurting. If it starts hurting, slow to a walk and just do more distance and less speed while you build the muscles up again. And it's worth asking your GP to recommend exercises to stabilise your knee, or seeing a physio privately - doing targetted exercises now could save you a lot of pain long term. Am cheering you on. And going off for my daily walk myself!

Dragonbutter Thu 10-Jul-08 21:59:50

Thanks.
I walked fast for about 45 minutes and worked up a bit of a sweat. Thought that would be better to start off with and i also didn't have to get changed into running gear just for a walk so saved a bit of time.
I think i will ask for a physio referral from my GP. Although i do actually have a degree on the subject blush. I know, i really should know better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now