Talk

Advanced search

Help! Put on 6lbs in 3 days. How has this happened?

(11 Posts)
LivingLaVidaLurker2 Tue 08-Jul-08 07:23:39

I have completely changed my eating habits recently. Cut out junk, cut down on alcohol, cut down on white bread, potatoes, pasta... I've been out running at least three times a week for the last four weeks. I've been drinking loads of water. It's been going great and I've lost 9lbs.

On Saturday, dh really fancied a take-away curry, so I thought, what the hell, just this once won't hurt....

On Saturday morning (pre-curry), I weighed 11 stone 1. Today I weigh 11 stone 7!!

Can one curry really make that much difference?

Furball Tue 08-Jul-08 07:42:02

shock If I were you I be lividlavidalurker2 grin

Don't know why this has happened but lots of water can weigh more as can time of the month and things like that. Also was it the same time of day?

Well done on the big loss though

flossish Tue 08-Jul-08 07:47:31

Only weigh once a week. Throughout the week my weight fluctuates, even going up above last week's weigh in figure at times.

Oh and a curry is probably the most evil (and yummiest) takeaway you could have unless you are going to eat a whole huge pizza hut pizza...

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Tue 08-Jul-08 07:59:14

I am livid! grin

It was a great curry though <sighs dreamily>

Ah well, today's a new day. Onwards and upwards (well, downwards really, if I'm thinking of my weight plans.)

maidamess Tue 08-Jul-08 08:00:45

You'll probably do a massive fart later on and lose about 3lbs.

Amandoh Tue 08-Jul-08 08:28:40

I would imagine that it's impossible to gain 6lbs of fat in 24hrs. Far more likely to be fluid retention.

Drink lots as your curry probably contained lots of salt. Try to eat water based foods today {fruits and veggies} and avoid salty foods.

I've not tried it myself but read recently that dandelion tea helps flush out excess fluid so perhaps you could try drinking a few cups of that today.

I go to Weigh Watchers and everyone there finds their weight goes up by a couple of lbs around the time of their period. Again, it's fluid retention.

Let us know if that 6lbs is gone by next weigh in won't you.

Amandoh Wed 09-Jul-08 23:33:40

LivingLaVidaLurker2 - Have those 6lbs gone yet?

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Thu 10-Jul-08 12:46:55

Thanks for the good advice, Amandoh. I've stocked up on dandelion tea and have been eating an awful lot of fruit and veg.

Weighed myself this morning and was 11 stone 4, so three pounds off. Not great, but at least the scales are going down again. I think I might hide them away for a couple of weeks to stop this obsessive daily weighing. I'm sure it can't be good for me.

Amandoh Thu 10-Jul-08 14:10:05

Glad to hear it's coming off. If you are weighing yourself obsessively then it is probably a good idea to put them out of sight. Why not set yourself a regular day and time to weigh yourself. Monday morning is a good time as it's often at the weekend when we over-indulge. Knowing you're going on the scales on Monday might stop you drinking that whole bottle of wine/eating a burger and chips on Saturday night.

I'm really struggling to lose half a stone at the moment. Keep losing and gaining the same few lbs so I do know how frustrating is it.

Amandoh Thu 10-Jul-08 14:11:06

It is* even.

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Fri 11-Jul-08 07:28:06

Weighed myself today (my 'usual' weigh in day - well the one where I actually write down my weight, even though I weigh myself every day...) and back to 11 stone 1.

Which just goes to show, that if I only weighed myself once a week, I'd have been really pleased at staying the same, despite huge curry, rather than getting myself in a panic over the 6 lbs!

I like the thought of using Monday morning as weigh in day though, might help me exercise some weekend self-control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now