Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's your favourite low fat / low carb recipe?

(6 Posts)
ThomCat Tue 18-Jan-05 22:37:28

I'm fining it hard to think of scrummy, exciting and healthy meals in the evening.
D and I are trying to shed a few pounds but I'm not used to cooking without cream, olice oil, cheese, butter, potatoes, pasta etc.
So if you have low fat and / or no carb recipes please be kind enought o share them with me, at least until I have the chance to buy some low fat / low carbs cook books.
Thanks - TC x

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 18-Jan-05 22:42:24

Fish? You can put almost any fish in foil with some herbs and lemon and wine and stick it in the oven for half an hour. Or you could have poussin or another small bird (poussin about 450 cals, skin included), marinade and recipe below.

Ingredients for 2 (this is from Fat Girl Slim, great book imo, here )

4 oven ready quail

FOR THE MARINADE
3 tbsp sake or dry sherry (I used sherry)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp japanese soy sauce
1 tbsp sesasme oil
3 pinches 5 spice powder (didn't have any, was fine without)
2 pinches caster sugar
2 dashes sweet chilli sauce

FOR STUFFING
4 spring onions trimmed and cut roughly in four
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 thumb root ginger

Put quail in close fitting non reactive dish. whisk marinade ingreds together and set aside. To make stuffing, combine ingreds and chop coarsely. Dab stuffing inside the birds, pour over the marinade and leave in a cool place for 4 - 12 hours, turning occasionally (I only marinated for about an hour)
Preheat oven to 220/Gas 8. Remove birds from marinde, reserving it, then put them on a very large doubled sheet of cooking foil, dull side out, and season them. Draw up the foil to make a well sealed but roomy pouch and place on a sturdy baking sheet. Cook quail for 15 mins. Meanwhile, pour marinade into a pan and boil for a few minuites over a high heat, uncovered, until it is shiny and slightly sticky. Unwrap the pouch and spread open the foil. Brush the quail with the marinade, then continue to roast them, exposed, for about 15 minutes, or until they are glistening and browned. Pour any juices back into the marinade. Serve with marinade spooned over and a bowl of asian style salad.

ThomCat Tue 18-Jan-05 22:43:27

Cheers WWW, you're a star.

Any more for any more?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 18-Jan-05 22:46:31

Just found this on another thread, thought I'd posted it somewhere!

Nigella's salmon from How To Eat: make a mix of a teaspoon each of cayenne, ginger, sugar, salt, cumin, Colman's mustard powder and cinnamon and coat the salmon with it (I make more of a mix depending on how many pieces of salmon so 2 tsps for 2 pieces etc etc) Cook the salmon as you like it (so a few minutes for a crispy outside but a pink inside) and make a sauce with a teaspoon of mustard (she says Colmans but I've done it with Dijon as it's not so hot), 1 tsp hot water and 1 tsp of sugar. Very quick and very easy yet still impressive enough to cook for friends I reckon.

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 18-Jan-05 23:18:18

Thomcat, there are some nice recipes here . It's the Sunday Times GI diet menus - week 1 and 2 are here and more will follow. I've done some of the dinners and they were yum.

ThomCat Wed 19-Jan-05 10:59:45

Thank you so much.
Just ordered Fat Girl slim from teh link and printed off the Times recipes.
Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now